Fermi telescope finds Gamma-Ray Microquasar within Milky Way

Old November 27th 09, 12:59 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Fermi telescope finds Gamma-Ray Microquasar within Milky Way

Fermi Finds Gamma-Ray Microquasar | Universe Today
"Fermi's Large Area Telescope has detected bursts of gamma-rays in the
binary system Cygnus X-3, which astronomers say are coming from a
microquasar. While microquasars have strong emissions across is a broad
range of wavelengths, this is the first time this type of object has
been detected in gamma rays. "Cygnus X-3 is a genuine microquasar and
it's the first for which we can prove high-energy gamma-ray emission,"
said Stéphane Corbel at Paris Diderot University in France."
http://www.universetoday.com/2009/11...y-microquasar/
Old November 29th 09, 03:39 PM posted to sci.astro
John Polasek

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 19:59:37 -0500, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

Fermi Finds Gamma-Ray Microquasar | Universe Today
"Fermi's Large Area Telescope has detected bursts of gamma-rays in the
binary system Cygnus X-3, which astronomers say are coming from a
microquasar. While microquasars have strong emissions across is a broad
range of wavelengths, this is the first time this type of object has
been detected in gamma rays. "Cygnus X-3 is a genuine microquasar and
it's the first for which we can prove high-energy gamma-ray emission,"
said Stéphane Corbel at Paris Diderot University in France."
http://www.universetoday.com/2009/11...y-microquasar/

First I was going to ask how they detected gamma rays, but now I am
even more interested in how they measured the temperature of the
micro-quasar to such exquisite accuracy (1/1000°K):
"100,255.372 Kelvin (180,000 degrees F,) or about 17 times hotter than
the sun,".
Some numerology: what are the odds of converting an arbitrary
temperature in Kelvin to the exactly, very attractive 180,000°F?
Again, let's see the logbook.
John Polasek
Old November 30th 09, 05:52 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

John Polasek wrote:
First I was going to ask how they detected gamma rays, but now I am
even more interested in how they measured the temperature of the
micro-quasar to such exquisite accuracy (1/1000°K):
"100,255.372 Kelvin (180,000 degrees F,) or about 17 times hotter than
the sun,".
Some numerology: what are the odds of converting an arbitrary
temperature in Kelvin to the exactly, very attractive 180,000°F?
Again, let's see the logbook.
John Polasek

Didn't you know? The Universe actually was designed on Imperial units --
not Metric. :-)

Yousuf Khan