Astro-Physics Plants

Old July 16th 03, 02:15 PM
optidud

Default Astro-Physics Plants

Intel Corp has so many plants that's why they can supply thousands
of pentiums without a waiting time of 1-3 years.

Why can't Astro-Physics do the same. They can create more plants...
in the same state (so Roland can visit them constantly) or far away
(he can always use his private jet to visit other states or areas) .

This means waiting time of 1-5 years for a Traveler for example can
be reduced to 6 months and this can put a lot of smile in the faces
of many amateur astronomers.

Or is the reason because there are restrictions to purchases of high
quality objective lens. Right now, thermal imager equipments are
restricted and productions are limited to discourage mass export
to other countries. Similarly. Astrophysics quality lenses may be
weapons grade and mass productions being discouraged?

What possible weapon application can Astro-physics lenses
have. Does laser amplification system or particle beam technology
or other exotic optical based weaponry uses super quality objective
lenses with near zero spherochromatism and high strehl for example?

If the above is the reason. Of course Roland won't admit as he
is bounded by the US Restricted Weapons Contractor Agreement..

If the above is not the reason. Then why can't Roland build more
plants so waiting time for Astrophysics scopes can be cut by
one third or better in order to meet the demands of the public
and world market.

I wonder this from time to time especially when I thought that
it's been ages already since I first signed up in the waiting list
for a Traveler.

optidud
Old July 16th 03, 03:18 PM
Jan Owen

This and many similar questions have been discussed and explained here ad
nauseum in the past.

Check Google for a run down.

--
To reply, remove the "z" if one appears in my address
m...

Old July 16th 03, 05:01 PM
Joe Bergeron

In article , optidud
wrote:

Why can't Astro-Physics do the same. They can create more plants...
in the same state (so Roland can visit them constantly) or far away
(he can always use his private jet to visit other states or areas) .

It's because Roland figures all the lenses himself, and he likes it
that way.

--
Joe Bergeron

http://www.joebergeron.com

Old July 16th 03, 05:41 PM
Del Johnson

Because Roland Christen is a craftsman. Has a lot to do with why his
products are so good.

There are a few used AP units that can be readily bought. I usually see a
couple of his telecopes up for sale at the RMTC.

Del Johnson

m...

Old July 16th 03, 07:05 PM
Rich N.

Why can't Astro-Physics do the same. They can create more plants...
in the same state (so Roland can visit them constantly) or far away
(he can always use his private jet to visit other states or areas) .

It's because Roland figures all the lenses himself, and he likes it
that way.

--
Joe Bergeron

Roland is also involved in designing AP mounts and accessories.
Roland is always looking for ways to make his products perform better.

Rich

Old July 16th 03, 11:29 PM

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:18:50 -0700, "Jan Owen"
wrote:

This and many similar questions have been discussed and explained here ad
nauseum in the past.

Check Google for a run down.

What is interesting is that Meade can't adapt the technology
they use on their Mak optics (very accurate products) to their
apos.
-Rich
Old July 16th 03, 11:42 PM
Shawn Grant

Roland is always looking for ways to make his products perform better.

He must not be looking hard enough other wise he would make newtonians.

Old July 16th 03, 11:51 PM
Jan Owen

--
wrote:

This and many similar questions have been discussed and explained here

ad
nauseum in the past.

Check Google for a run down.

What is interesting is that Meade can't adapt the technology
they use on their Mak optics (very accurate products) to their
apos.
-Rich

From what I've seen, their objectives have been OK right along; they just
put them in crappy objective cells for quite a while that let them get out
of collimation multidirectionally. And THAT kinda shot their credibility
to hell in a handbasket. Not bad objectives.

Once folks figured out how to modify the cells, to properly align and
collimate them, or sent them back for Meade to install their new, improved
cells, the problem went away.

From what I hear, there are some pretty happy campers out there now...
finally... But there aren't too many of them yet, because all the
negative noise here scared a lot of folks off.

Note that I said "from what I hear...". I don't own one of these scopes,
so I'm relying on the commentary of several others who do.

Old July 17th 03, 12:21 AM
Alan French

Sad to say, Shawn, but a 6" Newtonian is simply not going to give you the
performance of a 6" APO (but you probably knew that). Anyway, everyone
makes Newtonians, so we certainly don't need more of them. Perhaps someone
could make Newts to the same quality levels of the AP scopes, but no one
would want to spend premium prices on "the poor man's telescope."