Any Mars images from the refractor crowd?

Old July 10th 03, 10:46 PM
Jose Suro

Default Any Mars images from the refractor crowd?

Been following all the imaging of Mars I can find on a daily basis and I've
seen very few images taken with refractors. Most all are with newtonians,
RCs, MCs and SCTs. Any sites out there that have images posted by refractor
owners?

Take Care,

JAS

Old July 11th 03, 02:25 AM
Ratboy99

Hi Ron,

Hey, thanks a bunch. Good images too at the AP site. Let me know if you find
any others.

There are some great refractor Mars images at the TEC Yahoo grooup.
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address
Old July 11th 03, 03:10 AM
Dan McShane

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:46:00 GMT, "Jose Suro"

wrote:

Been following all the imaging of Mars I can find on a daily basis and

I've
seen very few images taken with refractors. Most all are with newtonians,
RCs, MCs and SCTs. Any sites out there that have images posted by

refractor
owners?

A fair question, but there is no reason to expect any difference in image
quality between of these systems. The small drop in contrast that results

from
an occluded system is meaningless when you are working with an electronic

image
and can manipulate the display transfer function. That's why the Hubble

images
look so good, in spite of the fact that the design has a very large CO.

Not to mention the fact that the Hubble operates in a near complete vacuum
environment.

Dan McShane
www.dgmoptics.com

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

---

Old July 11th 03, 03:59 AM

wrote:

Been following all the imaging of Mars I can find on a daily basis and I've
seen very few images taken with refractors. Most all are with newtonians,
RCs, MCs and SCTs. Any sites out there that have images posted by refractor
owners?

Take Care,

JAS

People with SCTs and Newtonians generally take the best pictures
anyway, from what I've seen so far.
-Rich
Old July 19th 03, 04:31 PM
Oldfield So

One more, it gets larger since Mars gets closer:

http://www.pbase.com/image/19289820

Oldfield

"Oldfield So" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...

I've one with my Ranger:

http://www.pbase.com/oldfield/astrophotography

its not odd at all, there are other things that affect image quality
besides optical quality.. under perfect conditions the better scope

would
take better images, but conditions are not perfect all the time.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:56:40 GMT, "Jose Suro"

wrote:

I'm an SCT owner myself (NS11). It just seems odd that most all the

quality
images I've been able to gather are coming from imagers with compound
telescopes.

Herm
Astropics http://home.att.net/~hermperez