Machholz under moonlight

Old December 29th 04, 12:37 AM
Maurice Gavin

Default Machholz under moonlight

Was the comet a naked eye object under full moonlight this evening
nearing Taurus ??

Canon 300D image at

http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/digsky.htm
Old December 29th 04, 08:18 AM
Paul Clark

"Maurice Gavin" wrote in message
Was the comet a naked eye object under full moonlight this evening
nearing Taurus ??

Canon 300D image at

http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/digsky.htm

Hi

More tail coming out now.

See

http://www.aozc64.dsl.pipex.com/adas/obs_reports.htm

for our first naked-eye view before and easily after moonset on 17th Dec.

I'm positive I picked it up naked-eye last night from the light and moon
polluted 'burbs.
Paul

Old December 29th 04, 10:49 AM
Maurice Gavin

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:18:20 -0000, "Paul Clark"
wrote:

"Maurice Gavin" wrote in message
Was the comet a naked eye object under full moonlight this evening
nearing Taurus ??

Canon 300D image at

http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/digsky.htm

I'm positive I picked it up naked-eye last night from the light and moon
polluted 'burbs.
Paul

Preliminary spectrum added at
http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/digsky.htm
Old December 29th 04, 02:33 PM
Mark

I'm sure I could discern it with the naked eye last night. My friend was
also sure- he think he could see it and everytime he went to look in
binoculars it was bang in the field of view.

Mark

Old December 29th 04, 11:35 PM
Roger Smith

In message , Tim Auton
wrote
(Maurice Gavin) wrote:

Was the comet a naked eye object under full moonlight this evening
nearing Taurus ??

Am I the only person in the known universe not to have seen Machholz
yet? Clouds, rain and festivities have conspired against me so far.

Probably not, I haven't seen it definitely though I did look at the area
for a while the other night with my bins but poor memory and lack of
knowledge of what should be where means that while I don't know that I
have seen it I might well have done but not recognised it.
--
Roger
52:54:41N
Old December 30th 04, 01:59 PM
Mark

"Roger Smith" wrote in message
In message , Tim Auton
wrote
(Maurice Gavin) wrote:

Was the comet a naked eye object under full moonlight this evening
nearing Taurus ??

Am I the only person in the known universe not to have seen Machholz
yet? Clouds, rain and festivities have conspired against me so far.

Probably not, I haven't seen it definitely though I did look at the area
for a while the other night with my bins but poor memory and lack of
knowledge of what should be where means that while I don't know that I
have seen it I might well have done but not recognised it.

For me, it just looked like a diffuse 'blob'with not much of a tail.

Mark

Old December 30th 04, 03:27 PM
Pete Lawrence

(Maurice Gavin) wrote:

Was the comet a naked eye object under full moonlight this evening
nearing Taurus ??

Am I the only person in the known universe not to have seen Machholz
yet? Clouds, rain and festivities have conspired against me so far.

Probably not, I haven't seen it definitely though I did look at the area
for a while the other night with my bins but poor memory and lack of
knowledge of what should be where means that while I don't know that I
have seen it I might well have done but not recognised it.

For me, it just looked like a diffuse 'blob'with not much of a tail.

The tail was just visible visually when Machholz popped up over the
Southern horizon for most of the UK. However, since then I believe
it's faded (this is based on empirical evidence). Of course, this has
not been helped by the Moon that has been invading it's light space
for a while now.

After image processing, I believe that the next few days will, with
the Moon moving out of the picture, reveal a nice diffuse head and a
fine and structured tail.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk