Daily Report #4829

Old April 9th 09, 04:28 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4829

DAILY REPORT***** #4829

PERIOD COVERED: 5am April 8 - 5am April 9, 2009 (DOY
098/0900z-099/0900z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/SBC 11982

Spanning the Reionization History of IGM Helium: a Large and
Efficient
HST Spectral Survey of Far-UV-Bright Quasars

The reionization of IGM helium is thought to have occurred at
redshifts of z=3 to 4. Detailed studies of HeII Lyman-alpha absorption
toward a handful of QSOs at 2.7z3.3 demonstrated the high potential
of such IGM probes, but the small sample size and redshift range limit
confidence in cosmological inferences. The requisite unobscured
sightlines to high-z are extremely rare, but we've cross-correlated
10, 000 z2.8 SDSS DR7 (and other) quasars with GALEX GR4 UV sources
to obtain 550 new, high confidence, sightlines potentially useful for
HST HeII studies; and in cycle 15-16 trials we demonstrated the
efficacy of our SDSS/GALEX selection approach identifying 9 new HeII
quasars at unprecedented 67% efficiency. We propose the first
far-UV-bright HeII quasar survey that is both large in scale and also
efficient, via 2-orbit reconnaissance ACS/SBC prism spectra toward a
highly select subset of 40 new SDSS/GALEX quasars at 3.1z5.1. These
will provide a community resource list that includes 5 far-UV-bright
(restframe) HeII sightlines in each of 8 redshift bins spanning
3.1z3.9 (and perhaps several objects at z4), enabling superb
post-SM4 follow-up spectra with COS or STIS. But simultaneously and
independent of any SM4 uncertainties, we will hereby directly obtain
10-orbit UV spectral stacks from the 5 HeII quasars in each of the 8
redshift bins to trace the reionization history of IGM helium over at
least 3.1z3.9. These spectral stacks will average over cosmic
variance and individual object pathology. Our new high-yield HeII
sightline sample and spectral stacks, covering a large redshift range,
will allow confident conclusions about the spectrum and evolution of
the ionizing background, the evolution of HeII opacity, the density of
IGM baryons, and the epoch of helium reionization.

WFPC2 11975

UV Light from Old Stellar Populations: a Census of UV Sources in
Galactic Globular Clusters

In spite of the fact that HST has been the only operative
high-resolution eye in the UV-window over the last 18 years, no
homogeneous UV survey of Galactic globular clusters (GGCs) has been
performed to date. In order to fill this gap in the stellar population
studies, we propose a program that exploits the unique capability of
the WFPC2 and the SBC in the far-/mid- UV for securing deep UV imaging
of 46 GGCs. The proposed observations will allow to study with
unprecedented accuracy the hottest GGC stars, comprising the extreme
horizontal branch (HB) stars and their progeny (the so-called
AGB-manque', and Post-early AGB stars), and "exotic stellar
populations" like the blue straggler stars and the interacting
binaries. The targets have been selected to properly sample the GGC
metallicity/structural parameter space, thus to unveil any possible
correlation between the properties of the hot stellar populations and
the cluster characteristics. In addition, most of the targets have
extended HB "blue tails", that can be properly studied only by means
of deep UV observations, especially in the far-UV filters like the
F160BW, that is not foreseen on the WFC3. This data base is
complemented with GALEX observations in the cluster outermost regions,
thus allowing to investigate any possible trend of the UV-bright
stellar types over the entire radial extension of the clusters.
Although the hottest GGC stars are just a small class of "special"
objects, their study has a broad relevance in the context of structure
formation and chemical evolution in the early Universe, bringing
precious information on the basic star formation processes and the
origin of blue light from galaxies. Indeed, the proposed observations
will provide the community with an unprecedented data set suitable for
addressing a number of still open astrophysical questions, ranging
from the main drivers of the HB morphology and the mass loss
processes, to the origin of the UV upturn in elliptical galaxies, the
dating of distant systems from integrated light, and the complex
interplay between stellar evolution and dynamics in dense stellar
aggregates. In the spirit of constructing a community resource, we
entirely waive the proprietary period for these observations.

WFPC2 11987

The Recent Star Formation History of SINGS Galaxies

The Spitzer Legacy project SINGS provided a unique view of the current
state of star formation and dust in a sample of galaxies of all Hubble
types. This multi-wavelength view allowed the team to create current
star formation diagnostics that are independent of the dust content
and increased our understanding of the dust in galaxies. Even so,
using the SINGS data alone we can only make rough estimates of the
recent star formation history of these galaxies. The lack of U-band
observations means that it is impossible to estimate the ages of young
clusters. In addition, the low resolution of the Spitzer and
ground-based observations means that what appear to be individual
Spitzer sources can actually be composed of many individual clusters
with varying ages. In this proposal we plan to address this missing
area in SINGS by obtaining high-resolution WFPC2 UBVI observations to
accurately find and determine the ages of the young stellar clusters
in a subset of the SINGS galaxies. These observations will greatly
enhance the legacy value of the SINGS observations while also directly
answering questions pertaining to star formation in galaxies.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

*********************** SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

OBAD with Maneuver **** 30***************** 30

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 05:17 PM
Daily Report #4425 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 August 14th 07 01:41 PM
Daily Report #4394 Pataro, Pete Hubble 0 June 29th 07 04:58 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM