Daily Report #4383

Old June 14th 07, 02:11 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4383

Notice: For the foreseeable future, the daily reports may contain apparent
discrepancies between some proposal descriptions and the listed instrument
usage. This is due to the conversion of previously approved ACS WFC or HRC
observations into WFPC2, or NICMOS observations subsequent to the loss of
ACS CCD science capability in late January.

DAILY REPORT # 4383

PERIOD COVERED: UT June 13, 2007 (DOY 164)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

WFPC2 10800

Kuiper Belt Binaries: Probes of Early Solar System Evolution

Binaries in the Kuiper Belt are a scientific windfall: in them we have
relatively fragile test particles which can be used as tracers of the early
dynamical evolution of the outer Solar System. We propose to continue a
Snapshot program using the ACS/HRC that has a demonstrated discovery
potential an order of magnitude higher than the HST observations that have
already discovered the majority of known transneptunian binaries. With this
continuation we seek to reach the original goals of this project: to
accumulate a sufficiently large sample in each of the distinct populations
collected in the Kuiper Belt to be able to measure, with statistical
significance, how the fraction of binaries varies as a function of their
particular dynamical paths into the Kuiper Belt. Today's Kuiper Belt bears
the imprints of the final stages of giant-planet building and migration;
binaries may offer some of the best preserved evidence of that long-ago era.

WFPC2 11079

Treasury Imaging of Star Forming Regions in the Local Group: Complementing
the GALEX and NOAO Surveys

We propose to use WFPC2 to image the most interesting star-forming regions
in the Local Group galaxies, to resolve their young stellar populations. We
will use a set of filters including F170W, which is critical to detect and
characterize the most massive stars, to whose hot temperatures colors at
longer wavelengths are not sensitive. WFPC2's field of view ideally matches
the typical size of the star-forming regions, and its spatial resolution
allows us to measure indvidual stars, given the proximity of these galaxies.
The resulting H- R diagrams will enable studies of star-formation properties
in these regions, which cover largely differing metallicities {a factor of
17, compared to the factor of 4 explored so far} and characteristics. The
results will further our understanding of the star-formation process, of the
interplay between massive stars and environment, the properties of dust, and
will provide the key to interpret integrated measurements of star-formation
indicators {UV, IR, Halpha} available for several hundreds more distant
galaxies. Our recent deep surveys of these galaxies with GALEX {FUV, NUV}
and ground-based imaging {UBVRI, Halpha, [OIII] and [SII]} provided the
identification of the most relevant SF sites. In addition to our scientific
analysis, we will provide catalogs of HST photometry in 6 bands, matched
corollary ground-based data, and UV, Halpha and IR integrated measurements
of the associations, for comparison of integrated star-formation indices to
the resolved populations. We envisage an EPO component.

WFPC2 11081

RR Lyrae stars in M31 Globular Clusters: How did the M31 Spiral Galaxy Form?

The pulsation properties of the RR Lyrae stars in the globular clusters of
the Andromeda galaxy {M31} have the potential to provide essential insight
on the first epoch of the galaxy formation and to trace the merging episodes
that led to the assembly of M31. Their mean periods along with the cluster
metallicities can provide an independent estimate of the M31 cluster ages
and, in turn, of the time scale of the M31 halo formation, by comparison
with their Milky Way counterparts. We will observe RR Lyrae stars in 6
appropriately selected globular clusters of M31 using WFPC2 to derive
periods, light curves, and physical parameters of these eyewitnesses of the
first epochs of the M31 formation.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

Significant Spacecraft Anomalies: (The following are preliminary reports of
potential non-nominal performance that will be investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL

FGS GSacq 04 04
FGS REacq 10 10
OBAD with Maneuver 28 28

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report # 4341 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 16th 07 05:45 PM
Daily Report #4260 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 December 15th 06 05:30 PM
DAILY REPORT #3910 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 27th 05 10:52 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM