solar observing: opinions sought

Old August 18th 05, 12:36 PM
JohnA

Default solar observing: opinions sought

I am interested in the coronado binomite binoculars (the original 10x25
version). There was a brief S&T review a couple of years ago, but by
now there should be a fair amount of user opinion around. I am told by
UK distributors that these binos are quite popular. The attraction for
me is convenience and especially the safety factor (for use with school
groups etc), and the 12x60 version is too expensive for me. Any
comments on the binomite 1?

I some white light observing with a solar filter; I like the Baader
solar film and prefer the image to that with a rather old thousand oaks
filter. I have seen ads for the Baader solar continuum filter, with an
8 nm bandwidth that supposedly brings out more detail in sunspots and
granulation. Is this the case? (I observe with a 90 mm refractor).

Opinions please!

JohnA

Old August 18th 05, 05:59 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA
I am interested in the coronado binomite binoculars (the original 10x25
version). There was a brief S&T review a couple of years ago, but by
now there should be a fair amount of user opinion around. I am told by
UK distributors that these binos are quite popular. The attraction for
me is convenience and especially the safety factor (for use with school
groups etc), and the 12x60 version is too expensive for me. Any
comments on the binomite 1?

I some white light observing with a solar filter; I like the Baader
solar film and prefer the image to that with a rather old thousand oaks
filter. I have seen ads for the Baader solar continuum filter, with an
8 nm bandwidth that supposedly brings out more detail in sunspots and
granulation. Is this the case? (I observe with a 90 mm refractor).

Opinions please!

JohnA
I'd have reservations about solar filtered bins for school groups - you still have to aim the bins towards the sun as they are brought to the eye and the eye could get an unwelcome dose of unfiltered sunlight. The beauty of the PST [another story] is the view and its solar finder are downwards at 90o to the sun in the sky so is potentially much safer.

Nytecam
Old August 19th 05, 08:13 AM
JohnA

Thank you Mr Nytecam. Yes, I had thought that having to face towards
the sun before putting the binos to the eyes might cause a problem or
two. But it is a number of years since I bought any kit, and the
binomite 1 is the chance to get something new and quite cheap!
I would dearly love a PST (I have seen your regular postings), but I
can't personally justify the dosh for it at the moment. Maybe I can
persuade the headteacher.... The PST is so remarkable for its price
that it seems odd that no other competing product has appeared. Who
buys Daystar or Lumicon these days?

JohnA

Old August 19th 05, 06:08 PM
David Knisely

JohnA wrote:

I would dearly love a PST (I have seen your regular postings), but I
can't personally justify the dosh for it at the moment. Maybe I can
persuade the headteacher.... The PST is so remarkable for its price
that it seems odd that no other competing product has appeared. Who
buys Daystar or Lumicon these days?

Lots of people do, although for solar work, DayStar would be a better
choice for disk work. The DayStar filters tend to allow a larger
aperture to be used for a somewhat lower cost than the Coronado filters.
For example, I use a DayStar T-Scanner (0.7 angstrom) at about a
90mm aperture which cost around $1800, while a similar 90mm Coronado
SolarMax filter would be nearly $5000. As for the PST, it is probably
the single most cost effective way to get into observing the sun in
H-alpha. I use mine almost every clear day that I can get some time
available, and its performance is well worth its rather modest cost of
$500. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 31 - Aug. 5, 2005, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old August 19th 05, 06:32 PM
JohnA

Hmmm...I suppose I really meant: products that compete with the PST,
i.e. budget H-alpha.
Here in the UK, the PST retails for the equivalent of $760, alas.

JohnA