Change in pronunciation

Old September 29th 03, 06:16 PM
Gene DiGennaro

Default Change in pronunciation

I was watching NASA TV last night and saw a movie documenting NASA's
efforts in 1958. I am assuming it was made in late '58 or early '59.
The narrator kept calling NASA by its letters not the acronym
"nah-suh". I know the NACA was called "enn-ay-see-ay". When did the
pronunciation change from "en-ay-ess-ay" to what we currently call it?

Gene
Old September 30th 03, 12:49 AM
Rick DeNatale

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:16:44 -0700, Gene DiGennaro wrote:

I was watching NASA TV last night and saw a movie documenting NASA's
efforts in 1958. I am assuming it was made in late '58 or early '59.
The narrator kept calling NASA by its letters not the acronym
"nah-suh". I know the NACA was called "enn-ay-see-ay". When did the
pronunciation change from "en-ay-ess-ay" to what we currently call it?

I don't know what the answer to your question is, but I do know that too
many people pronounce it like it was the capital city of the Bahamas.
Old September 30th 03, 08:48 AM
wassup

When did the
pronunciation change from "en-ay-ess-ay" to what we currently call it?

1959.

Old September 30th 03, 06:20 PM
Stuf4

From Rick DeNatale:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:16:44 -0700, Gene DiGennaro wrote:

I was watching NASA TV last night and saw a movie documenting NASA's
efforts in 1958. I am assuming it was made in late '58 or early '59.
The narrator kept calling NASA by its letters not the acronym
"nah-suh". I know the NACA was called "enn-ay-see-ay". When did the
pronunciation change from "en-ay-ess-ay" to what we currently call it?

My guess is that everyone who was ignorant of the N-A-C-A looked at
the letters NASA and pronounced it as a word - it became an acronym
the instant NASA was created (perhaps it was only the holdovers from
the N-A-C-A who tried to keep abbreviation continuity).

Another interesting observation is how acronym proponents exercise
revisional history by pronouncing N-A-C-A as "nacka".

I don't know what the answer to your question is, but I do know that too
many people pronounce it like it was the capital city of the Bahamas.

To add to the confusion, folks at MSC went so far as to build homes
straight across the front gate in a town they named... you guessed
it, Nassau Bay:

http://www.nassaubay.com/history_early_years.htm

(More factoids on Nassau Bay:
http://www.nassaubay.com/history_factoids.htm)

Combining these facts might suggest that there was a Jimmy
Buffett-style attitude that influenced the conversion of N-A-S-A to
the acronym "Nassa".

~ CT
Old September 30th 03, 07:31 PM
Stuf4

From "wassup" :
When did the
pronunciation change from "en-ay-ess-ay" to what we currently call it?

1959.

(Al, to reiterate my "vote", I'm going with 1958.)

~ CT
Old October 1st 03, 01:42 AM
Scott Hedrick

I used to say EYE until E2M.

--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old October 1st 03, 01:52 AM
Bob Martin

I don't know what the answer to your question is, but I do know that too
many people pronounce it like it was the capital city of the Bahamas.

So how should it be pronounced?

Old October 1st 03, 07:05 AM
Michael R. Grabois ... change $ to \s\

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:52:59 -0400, "Bob Martin" wrote:

I don't know what the answer to your question is, but I do know that too
many people pronounce it like it was the capital city of the Bahamas.

So how should it be pronounced?

Pronounce it "NASS-uh", not "NASS-saw".