Worthy of survival

Old November 1st 06, 07:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.battlestar-galactica
Fred J. McCall

Default Worthy of survival

"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Eric Chomko" wrote:
:
: :
: :Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : "Eric Chomko" wrote:
: :
: : :
: : :... the internet just happened to pop into place without
: : : ... Al Gore.
: :
: : Al Gore?
: :
: : snicker
: :
: :Go read what Vinton Cerf said about Al Gore. Go ahead, Freddy, do it...
: :You DO know who Vinton Cerf is, right?
:
: Perhaps you should go read it for understanding. Please provide a
: cite where Vint says that Gore was *necessary* to the invention of the
: internet.
:
:Invention? Never said that. Turning it from a publically funded entity
:into a privately funded entity? Yes, Gore was instrumental in doing
:just that.

Wrong.

:Clear now, Freddy?

Only if you live in Fantasyland.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 1st 06, 04:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
columbiaaccidentinvestigation

The foundation for the Bioastronautics Critical Path Road map (BCPR)
can be seen in the Bioastronautics data book 2nd ed 1973.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1973006364.pdf

Open sharing of information is crucial to improving everybody's
understanding of the universe around us.
Tom

columbiaaccidentinvestigation wrote:
Now moving past the hecklers seriously check out Dr. Cohen's
research, into understanding how the spinning artificial gravity
counter measure will effect humans during long term space travel. As
you can see by the below studies by Dr. Cohen, and the following are
questions are all valid when designing a manned interplanetary space
craft with the countermeasure of a 1g artificial gravity. There are
many more questions that must be asked and answered about the effects
of long term space travel on humans in order for us to safely and
successfully perform manned interplanetary missions, it just takes an
open objective mind to want to explore the possibilities.

What potential effects does long term exposure to a small radius spin
induced 1g environment have on the human equilibrium?
What specific effects does long term habitation in a in a small radius
spin induced 1g capsule have on the human body, and what human
physiological adaptations does the human body make to such an
environment?
And finally how does a small radius spin induced 1g capsule for long
term space flight compare to a human centrifuge?

http://exploration.nasa.gov/articles...nggravity.html
"February 7, 2003 : Want to know what 3-g feels like?
The Pull of Hypergravity
By spinning people in a giant centrifuge for 22 hours at a time, a NASA
researcher is learning more about the strange effects of artificial
gravity on humans...
During the past few summers, Cohen has been spinning research subjects
in something far more impressive than a carnival ride. He's been
studying engineers, mountain climbers, teachers and other paid
volunteers as they live for up to 22 hours in a giant, 58-foot diameter
centrifuge. His goal? To learn how humans adjust to changes in
gravity--particularly strong gravity.
NASA is interested because it's not just microgravity that astronauts
experience in space. They're exposed to hypergravity, too: up to 3.2-g
at launch, and about 1.4-g on reentry. "Under these conditions," Cohen
points out, "fluid weighs more." The heart has to change the way it
operates, pumping faster, and working harder to push the blood all the
way to the brain. This could cause astronauts to become dizzy or even,
in extreme cases, to pass out.
By spinning people in his centrifuge, Cohen hopes to learn whether the
heart's response can be conditioned. Perhaps if astronauts were exposed
to controlled doses of hypergravity before launch or reentry, then they
might be able to tolerate high g forces better than they otherwise
would have... The participants in Cohen's study have to be less than
5'8" tall--that's because the outer dimensions of the centrifuge cabin
are only 7'7" deep by 5'11" wide. "With its padded walls, the subjects
barely have enough room to lie down on the cabin's built-in cot," he
explains. The cramped cabin is outfitted with a toilet, a TV, and a
laptop loaded with computer games, tests and questionnaires. While
they're spinning, participants answer questions about stress, fatigue
and motion sickness; they perform complex reasoning tasks; and their
vital signs, head movements, and general activity are monitored by
sensors and cameras.
Artificial gravity is a potentially useful tool," notes Cohen, "but
it's not a universal panacea." Centrifugal force is not exactly the
same as gravity, he explains. If you have a small centrifuge--say, one
that might fit in a spaceship--you have to spin it pretty fast to
create g levels high enough to be effective. But there's a problem:
across the radius of a small centrifuge, g levels change rapidly.
"Suppose you're lying on a short-radius centrifuge, with your head near
the center, and your feet at the outside, and suppose you have 1-g at
your feet. Your head would feel only about 0.2-g, or even less." That's
not quite what you would experience in Earth's gravitational field!
Rapid spinning creates another concern: if you move your head too
quickly while you're inside a fast-moving centrifuge, you might feel
uncomfortably like you're tumbling head over heels. This can happen
when balance-sensing fluids in the semicircular canals of your inner
ear become "confused." Some experiments using centrifuges often include
devices that fix the subjects' heads in place, just to prevent that
illusion. Traveling through space, however, with your head fixed in
place is not practical.
Cohen ticks off ways to make centrifugal gravity feasible:
Perhaps engineers could develop a centrifuge with a radius of several
kilometers, large enough to generate high artificial gravity without
rotating fast enough to trigger the tumbling illusion. Rather than
using small onboard centrifuges, space travelers might slowly rotate
their entire spaceships instead.
Alternately, perhaps subjects could be taught to adapt to a rotating
environment. The brain is unaccountably good at interpreting strange
sensations after they're been around for a while. Witness the way
astronauts can be disoriented when they first arrive in space, but soon
learn to function in a weightless environment. If humans are spun for
long enough, says Cohen, the strange effects of rotation might become
familiar.
For now, though, Cohen is still trying to determine how different kinds
of activities done in hypergravity affect cardiovascular conditioning.
Cohen found that his centrifuge riders spent a lot of time lying down,
in part because it was more comfortable, and in part because spinning
made them drowsy--an effect called "the sopite syndrome." Cohen noted
that he was surprised at how strong it was. Going forward, he'd like to
examine what happens when they perform a range of predetermined
activities, such as standing, in which the g-force places more stress
on the heart.
Much more research remains to be done. "There are so many options for
how best to implement hypergravity most effectively," says Cohen. "Low
intensity for long durations, high intensity for short durations, short
radius centrifuges, rotating an entire spaceship." We know a lot, he
says, but there's much more to learn. It is, after all, a weighty
subject.""

Tom
"Maintaining optimal alertness and neurobehavioral functioning during
space operations is critical to enable the National Aeronautics and
Space Administration's (NASA's) vision and quota extend humanity's
reach to the Moon, Mars and beyond and quota to become a reality."
(Mallis, M. M.; DeRoshia, C. W)

Fred J. McCall wrote:
h (Rand Simberg) wrote:

:On 30 Oct 2006 13:18:05 -0800, in a place far, far away,
:"columbiaaccidentinvestigation"
made the phosphor on my
:monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:
:
: [lunacy elided]
:
:
:Once again, it's irrelevant, because the discussion was not about
utting people in a short-radius centrifuge.
:
:When are you going to learn to read? And when are you going to learn
:to stop top posting?
:
:Never, one suspects.

That's the conclusion I came to a while back, which is why it's now in
the bottom of my bit bucket.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Old November 1st 06, 05:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.battlestar-galactica
Eric Chomko

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Bob Kolker wrote:
: Eric Chomko wrote:
:
: That is one theory and no doubt backed by certain examples. Others
: exist as well like drug dealers which create businesses where they
: don't get taxed. Do you support the notion of illegal markets like
: racketeering and drugs?
:
: Drugs should be decriminalized.
:
:All drugs? Heroin? Steroids?

Sure. Why not?

Okay, but only if you use them.

:And you do realize that the main reason to legalize is to get tax
:revenue, right?

Wrong. The main reason to legalize is to take the money out of the
criminal economy.

And put it where?

: And racketeering is extortion and
: battery. That is already illegal. So I don't want business to be done
: violently or under threat of violence (that is how the government does
: business by the way). Markets should be as free as possible consistent
: with public safety.
:
: Drugs were criminalized in this country in 1906. Before that one could
: purchase laudinum at the local apothecary. The blue-noses could not bear
: the thought of someone getting pleasure.
:
:Or they realized that a stoned populace didn't work.

They do if they want money to get stoned on.

Again, you first. We'll do it ONLY if you get strung out.

Eric

-- Thomas Jefferson

Old November 1st 06, 05:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.battlestar-galactica
Eric Chomko

Bob Kolker wrote:
Citizen Bob wrote:

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:40:56 -0500, Bob Kolker
wrote:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Right now our army is killing
Muslims. Not as many as I would like, but every dead Muslim adds to my
life. As long as our troops are killing Muslims, I root for them.

Most Muslim deaths in Iraq are caused by other Muslims. Coalition
troops are merely helping create the conditions for that killing to
occur.

Some big shot military guy was on TV the other night and he claimed
that Coalition troops are killing some Muslims as a matter of course.
He said they are killing 10 times more than the Muslims are killing
the troops.

If I get terminal cancer and the Make A Wish Foundation arranges my
last three wishes. one is to be able to push a button that results in
the death of as many Muslim terrorists as possible. And then I want a

My fantasy is to nuke Meccah in the middle of the Haj. If the government
offered me a suicide mission to do it, I would accept the offer in a
microsecond.

So, you basically are no better than they are.

second button that allows me to kill as many JBGTs as possible, in
particular the ones who perpetrated the Waco Massacre. For a third
button, I want to nuke the Beltway.

I remember deliberately riding around Interstate 395 (aka the Beltway)

It is 495, and only half of it as the other side is 95 (east) to allow
for throughway of 95 north and south.

seven times calling on the Lord to bring fire and brimstone upon
Washington DC. This was a homage to Joshua bin Nun leading the Jews
around the walls of Jericho seven times leading to the collapse thereof.
In those days Jews had two Big Ones and were disinclined to be liberal.

Then there was the Holacaust.

I am happy to say that the Neo-Conservative movement (led and originated
by Jews who vomited out their pro-Commie inclinations and Woke Up) is a
step back in that direction.

So, genocide is okay just as long as you and your people aren't the
target. I see...

Eric

When Moses (our teacher) was a prince in Egypt who say an Egyptian
flogging two Hebrew slaves. He completely surpressed that primordial
Jewish urge to consider the situation fairly and from both sides. After
all, wasn't the overseer just as much a victim of the System as the
slave? No, Moses did none of that! He killed the Egyptian and buried
his body in the sand. And did the Hebrew slaves thank him? They did not.
They said to Moses, and just when did you die, go to heaven and become a
Prophet of the Lord? So typical. No good deed shall go unpunished.

Bob Kolker

Old November 1st 06, 06:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.battlestar-galactica
Fred J. McCall

"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Eric Chomko" wrote:
:
: :
: :Bob Kolker wrote:
: : Eric Chomko wrote:
: :
: : That is one theory and no doubt backed by certain examples. Others
: : exist as well like drug dealers which create businesses where they
: : don't get taxed. Do you support the notion of illegal markets like
: : racketeering and drugs?
: :
: : Drugs should be decriminalized.
: :
: :All drugs? Heroin? Steroids?
:
: Sure. Why not?
:
:Okay, but only if you use them.

No thanks. I don't feel like keeping you company.

: :And you do realize that the main reason to legalize is to get tax
: :revenue, right?
:
: Wrong. The main reason to legalize is to take the money out of the
: criminal economy.
:
:And put it where?

Into the non-criminal economy, of course. Jesus, are you always this
stupid?

: : And racketeering is extortion and
: : battery. That is already illegal. So I don't want business to be done
: : violently or under threat of violence (that is how the government does
: : business by the way). Markets should be as free as possible consistent
: : with public safety.
: :
: : Drugs were criminalized in this country in 1906. Before that one could
: : purchase laudinum at the local apothecary. The blue-noses could not bear
: : the thought of someone getting pleasure.
: :
: :Or they realized that a stoned populace didn't work.
:
: They do if they want money to get stoned on.
:
:Again, you first. We'll do it ONLY if you get strung out.

I could hardly be first, since lots of people already do this. Funny
how no matter what is being discussed, El Chimpo manages to display a
whole new level of ignorance about it.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 1st 06, 06:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.battlestar-galactica
Eric Chomko

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Eric Chomko" wrote:
:
: :
: :Bob Kolker wrote:
: : Eric Chomko wrote:
: :
: : That is one theory and no doubt backed by certain examples. Others
: : exist as well like drug dealers which create businesses where they
: : don't get taxed. Do you support the notion of illegal markets like
: : racketeering and drugs?
: :
: : Drugs should be decriminalized.
: :
: :All drugs? Heroin? Steroids?
:
: Sure. Why not?
:
:Okay, but only if you use them.

No thanks. I don't feel like keeping you company.

But it is you that wants them legal not me.

: :And you do realize that the main reason to legalize is to get tax
: :revenue, right?
:
: Wrong. The main reason to legalize is to take the money out of the
: criminal economy.
:
:And put it where?

Into the non-criminal economy, of course. Jesus, are you always this
stupid?

Which in part equates to taxes vs. no taxes. You want drug companies to
be more like the tobacco companies.

: : And racketeering is extortion and
: : battery. That is already illegal. So I don't want business to be done
: : violently or under threat of violence (that is how the government does
: : business by the way). Markets should be as free as possible consistent
: : with public safety.
: :
: : Drugs were criminalized in this country in 1906. Before that one could
: : purchase laudinum at the local apothecary. The blue-noses could not bear
: : the thought of someone getting pleasure.
: :
: :Or they realized that a stoned populace didn't work.
:
: They do if they want money to get stoned on.
:
:Again, you first. We'll do it ONLY if you get strung out.

I could hardly be first, since lots of people already do this.

Right, you just want to make that condition to be obtained legally. Do
you equate heroin to pot, McClod?

Funny
how no matter what is being discussed, El Chimpo manages to display a
whole new level of ignorance about it.

So when one disagrees with you, it's ignorance. I see...

Eric

-- Thomas Jefferson

Old November 1st 06, 06:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.battlestar-galactica
Eric Chomko

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Eric Chomko" wrote:
:
: :
: :Rand Simberg wrote:
: : On 27 Oct 2006 14:11:55 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Eric Chomko"
: : made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
: : a way as to indicate that:
: :
: :
: : Rand Simberg wrote:
: : On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:45:06 -0400, in a place far, far away, Bob
: : Kolker made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
: : such a way as to indicate that:
: :
: : Also keep in mind that Bert Ruytan built a space ship with money from
: : his own pocket.
: :
: : No, he didn't. It was funded by Paul Allen.
: :
: : Keep in mind that Hubble discovered the expansion of the cosmos using a
: : telescope funded privately.
: :
: : Just to clarify to idiots like Eric, you're referring to the
: : astronomer, and not the NASA space telescope.
: :
: : Rand not only do I know who Edwin Hubble was I bet I understand the
: : concept of redshift better than you do.
: :
: : It seems unlikely.
: :
: :You making dumb statements like "greater infinity", I suspect you're
: :wrong.
:
: Hint for Eric: There is a whole field of study called 'transfinite
: arithmetic'. All infinities are not created equal.
:
:So infinity + infinity = 2infinity?
:
:What is 1/infinity then?

Poor Eric. He'd argue if someone explained to him that water is wet.

I read up on it. It is related to set theory. I like oridinal and
cardinal numbers...

The answer is infintesimal.

He's got to smarten up a lot to rise to 'dip****'.

Hint: Try Googling 'Transfinite Arithmetic' and reading what comes
up. To help you out, let me start you with:

"Perhaps, thought Cantor, once you start dealing with infinities,
everything is the same size. Oddly enough, this did not turn out to be
the case. Cantor developed an entire theory of transfinite arithmetic,
the arithmetic of numbers beyond infinity. The results are surprising.
Although the sizes of the infinite sets of counting numbers, even
numbers, odd numbers, square numbers, etc., are the same, there are
other sets, the set of numbers that can be expressed as decimals, for
instance, that are larger. Cantor's work revealed that there are
hierarchies of ever-larger infinities."

So what? What can you apply them to, McClod?

Eric

-- Thomas Jefferson

Old November 1st 06, 07:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.battlestar-galactica
Bob Kolker

Eric Chomko wrote:

So, you basically are no better than they are.

I am volunteering to kill Bad Guys. That makes me a Good Guy.

Won't do retail gigs like blowing up a market. I want to take at least a
million of the *******s with me.

Bob Kolker

Old November 1st 06, 10:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.battlestar-galactica
Eric Chomko

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Eric Chomko" wrote:
:
: :
: :Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : "Eric Chomko" wrote:
: :
: : :
[...]

Are you saying Gore did not draw up legislation to turn the internet
over to the private sector?

-- Thomas Jefferson

Old November 1st 06, 10:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.battlestar-galactica
Eric Chomko

Bob Kolker wrote:
Eric Chomko wrote:

So, you basically are no better than they are.

I am volunteering to kill Bad Guys. That makes me a Good Guy.

Not necessarily. Killing bad guys doesn't make you a good guy and it
won't rid the world of all bad guys. Do you wear a white hat, too?

Won't do retail gigs like blowing up a market. I want to take at least a
million of the *******s with me.

Anyone that thinks killing 1 million people for the benefit of mankind
can easily be convinced that he's doing it for God and killing
infidels. Might as well believe that you have 72 virgins waiting for
you in heaven as well.

You'd make good fodder for intel like Oswald did.

Eric

Bob Kolker