Idle question: Did any of the early astronauts smoke?

Old August 22nd 04, 02:55 AM
james_anatidae

Default Idle question: Did any of the early astronauts smoke?

Just something I've been wondering about. I doubt it, but from what I know
of the 60's, it seems like every other person was puffing away.

--
Fans Of The Fourth Doctor - Talk about the REAL Doctor Who, Tom Baker!

Old August 22nd 04, 03:34 AM
Dave Michelson

james_anatidae wrote:
Just something I've been wondering about. I doubt it, but from what I know
of the 60's, it seems like every other person was puffing away.

Wally Schirra, for one.

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-022202a.html

--
Dave Michelson

Old August 22nd 04, 03:52 AM
Andy MacAskill

james_anatidae wrote:

Just something I've been wondering about. I doubt it, but from what I know
of the 60's, it seems like every other person was puffing away.

In the third documentary on "Disc 2" of the special edition DVD of one
of my favorite movies ever, "The Right Stuff," Gordon Cooper implies he
was the only astronaut of the Mercury 7 who didn't smoke, referring to
an observational datum attributed to NASA scientists who determined he
hadn't consumed as much oxygen as the other astronauts evidently had!
Old August 22nd 04, 04:35 AM
OM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:52:23 GMT, Andy MacAskill
wrote:

james_anatidae wrote:

Just something I've been wondering about. I doubt it, but from what I know
of the 60's, it seems like every other person was puffing away.

In the third documentary on "Disc 2" of the special edition DVD of one
of my favorite movies ever, "The Right Stuff," Gordon Cooper implies he
was the only astronaut of the Mercury 7 who didn't smoke, referring to
an observational datum attributed to NASA scientists who determined he
hadn't consumed as much oxygen as the other astronauts evidently had!

....Ah, but remember, these were *test* pilots. They probably cranked
up the O2 anyway to burn out that hangover from last night's ritual of
drinking & driving & driving & drinking :-P

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old August 22nd 04, 04:37 AM
Matt J. McCullar

William Pogue covered this in his excellent Q&A book, _How Do You Go to the
Bathroom in Space?_ He wrote that while he did not smoke, many
astronauts did, though of course not while they were in space. Most went
back to the habit upon returning from their flights.

Mike Collins wrote about his attempts to quit smoking in his book, _Carrying
the Fire_. He said that when he quit cold turkey, he had to go flying in a
B-52 on a routine maintenance flight with a fellow pilot and "convinced him
that fighter pilots were weird, indeed.... I screwed up everything I
touched, and I'm sure he was as glad as I was to get back on the ground."

Old August 22nd 04, 02:50 PM
Mike Flugennock

In article , "Matt J.
McCullar" wrote:

William Pogue covered this in his excellent Q&A book, _How Do You Go to the
Bathroom in Space?_ He wrote that while he did not smoke, many
astronauts did, though of course not while they were in space. Most went
back to the habit upon returning from their flights...

I suppose the question would be "which early astronauts did _not_ smoke?".

Istr some interesting scenes described in ACClarke's "Sands Of Mars"
featuring spaceship crewmen -- the CDR, and several various flight-deck
officer types -- smoking in the cockpit of the Mars-bound passenger ship,
openly, officially allowed. Man, were they civilized. (;^

(Didn't some Russian crewman on a previous ISS mission a while back
accidentally set off the smoke alarms while trying to sneak a cig in one
of the "dead-air spaces" in the station?

--
"All over, people changing their votes,
along with their overcoats;
Old August 22nd 04, 05:11 PM
Richard.Glueck

I have been told that Glenn and Grissom did not smoke.
Schirra did, Shepard did, Carpenter did. Not sure about Gordo.

Old August 22nd 04, 05:20 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Mike Flugennock" wrote in message
(Didn't some Russian crewman on a previous ISS mission a while back
accidentally set off the smoke alarms while trying to sneak a cig in one
of the "dead-air spaces" in the station?

I think you're thinking of Dr. Chandra in 2010.

Old August 22nd 04, 05:27 PM
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

"Mike Flugennock" wrote in message

(Didn't some Russian crewman on a previous ISS mission a while back
accidentally set off the smoke alarms while trying to sneak a cig in one
of the "dead-air spaces" in the station?

I think you're thinking of Dr. Chandra in 2010.

No that did happen on ISS, IIRC.

Pat

Pat

--

Old August 22nd 04, 05:44 PM
Ed Hengeveld

I have a very nice picture of Tom Stafford relaxing after the Gemini-6
mission while smoking a cigar...

Ed

Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 November 7th 03 08:53 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ v4 Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 1 November 4th 03 11:52 PM
News: AP - NASA Has Too Many Astronauts for Flights Rusty B Space Shuttle 4 July 12th 03 03:46 AM