Star Party or Sausage Party ?

Old April 23rd 04, 10:36 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Default Star Party or Sausage Party ?

What's the deal with these events ... are there any single chics? or
is it just a bunch of lonely dudes and their scopes?
Old April 23rd 04, 10:47 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Mean Mr Mustard wrote:

What's the deal with these events ... are there any single chics? or
is it just a bunch of lonely dudes and their scopes?

Dunno... It's too dark to tell...

Old April 23rd 04, 10:58 PM
Francis Marion

Your looking in the wrong place for "chic's" buddy.

Most women that show up at star parties are as serious and sometimes more so
about looking at the night sky than some of the guys I've seen at star
parties.

No joy here,
Francis Marion

Old April 24th 04, 11:30 AM
Kilolani

"Mean Mr Mustard" wrote in message
m...
What's the deal with these events ... are there any single chics? or
is it just a bunch of lonely dudes and their scopes?

is that you, Shawn?

Old April 25th 04, 05:38 AM
Eric

Since we are on the subject. Does anyone know if there are any of these
in the Olympia WA area? I would sincerely like to take a peek through a
variety of scopes, especially since i am planning a major purchase this
year or early next year.
Thanks
Eric

Old April 25th 04, 02:11 PM
Rod Mollise

Since we are on the subject. Does anyone know if there are any of these
in the Olympia WA area? I would sincerely like to take a peek through a
variety of scopes, especially since i am planning a major purchase this
year or early next year.

Hi:

Don't look for a star party per se. Look for a local club that's holding a
public outreach event, a "public" star party. This is the perfect time to try a
variety of telescopes. For clubs in your area, check the listing at
skyandtelescope.com.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old April 25th 04, 09:30 PM
Mike

(CHASLX200) wrote in message

What's the deal with these events ... are there any single chics? or
is it just a bunch of lonely dudes and their scopes?

Yep just all of us old guys! Never any girls. If ya wanna see chicks

go to the
beach. And ya cant see chicks in the dark anyway!!!

Chas P.

If you know even a little bit about astronomy, it can definately help
you out. Allow me to tell you about an experience I had at Ocean
City, MD during senior week. It's well after midnight and I'm walking
down the beach with a girl a friend just introduced me to. I'm
*pretty* sober, and have just about exhausted my supply of
introductory chit-chat. She's just about out of conversational steam
too, so there's a lull in the conversation. We're pretty much just
walking silently when I notice you can see the summer cross overhead.
I was surprised it was visible with all the light pollution, and I
guess I stared a little too long. She looked up and asked me what I
was looking at, and so I told her. I explained the constellation,
told her that bright star was Deneb, that really bright one over there
was Vega. "Wow, how do you know about all this stuff?" she asked.
Thinking that perhaps "Well, I'm a space nerd" wasn't the best reply,
I answered that I took a class in high school (a lie, but a white
lie). "Oh. Do you know any others?" This is when the sheer beauty
of stargazing was suddenly revealed to my 18 year old, hormone-crazed
mind; the ideal stargazing position is laying (lying?) close
side-by-side!!! Thanks to a moderate interest in astronomy, I spent
about an hour laying close to a beautiful girl on the beach, of which
about 10 minutes was devoted to stargazing

HOWEVER... If you simply show up at a star party, knowing about the
sky will not make you unique in any way, which is why the above
scenario played out as it did. And not knowing anything about the sky
will probably not endear you to whatever women are present. In
general, my (limited) experience is that people don't go to star
parties to hook up, they go there to look at stars. I am guessing
that you would have to be a pretty amazing observer to pick up women.

Since turning 21, I have however discovered a remarkable set of
establishments known as BARS. They are found just about anywhere,
especially around college campuses. It shouldn't take you long to
find a bar where single men and women of your demographic go to hang
out, buy drinks, and invite each other back to their appartments. If
you don't have much luck your first night, try one of these
approaches:
1) Drink more. Drinking makes you smart, funny, attractive and
strong.
2) Buy more drinks. Women who are drunk are more likely to think you
are smart, funny, attractive and stong.
If this doesn't work, try cross-posting to alt.sex.anonymous or
alt.nevada.brothels. Peace!

Mike
Onwards and Upwards!
Old April 26th 04, 04:01 AM
The Great Cornholio

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 04:38:54 GMT, Eric wrote:

Since we are on the subject. Does anyone know if there are any of these
in the Olympia WA area? I would sincerely like to take a peek through a
variety of scopes, especially since i am planning a major purchase this
year or early next year.
Thanks
Eric

It's about 150 miles away so I don't know if that's close enough;

http://www.tmspa.com/ (Table Mountain Star Party)