SS1 = 10 seconds in space?

Old June 23rd 04, 09:42 PM
JimO

Default SS1 = 10 seconds in space?

I calculate, if he overshot the boundary by 400 feet,
he was 'in space' legally for 10 seconds. Does this compute?

Old June 23rd 04, 11:05 PM
Rick DeNatale

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:42:13 +0000, JimO wrote:

I calculate, if he overshot the boundary by 400 feet,
he was 'in space' legally for 10 seconds. Does this compute?

I think so, but you should "show your work."

Assuming, as he almost certainly was, that he was in freefall during that
period, then it would have taken twice the time required to fall that 400
feet. Since s = 1/2 a t^2, t = sqrt(2s/a), since a = 32 ft/s^2 t =
sqrt(800/32) = 5, so 5 up and 5 down makes 10 seconds total.

400 feet is pretty close to the actual "overshoot." The Scaled Composites
press release gives a maximum altitude of 328,491 feet, which is
100.124257 KM. Now the "boundary" is legally at 100 KM, so he actually
overshot by 124.257 M, or 407.667651 feet, which would give just under 0.1
second more.

Of course the "boundary" is rather arbitrary. 100 Km is just a nice round
number.
Old June 24th 04, 10:05 AM
Revision

"Kevin Willoughby"

maximum altitude of 328,491 feet,

how do they measure
altitude?

By radar. It is in the press reports.

Old June 26th 04, 04:20 AM
Joshua Hesse

In sci.space.shuttle Rick DeNatale wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:42:13 +0000, JimO wrote:

I calculate, if he overshot the boundary by 400 feet,
he was 'in space' legally for 10 seconds. Does this compute?

I think so, but you should "show your work."

Assuming, as he almost certainly was, that he was in freefall during that
period, then it would have taken twice the time required to fall that 400
feet. Since s = 1/2 a t^2, t = sqrt(2s/a), since a = 32 ft/s^2 t =
sqrt(800/32) = 5, so 5 up and 5 down makes 10 seconds total.

400 feet is pretty close to the actual "overshoot." The Scaled Composites
press release gives a maximum altitude of 328,491 feet, which is
100.124257 KM. Now the "boundary" is legally at 100 KM, so he actually
overshot by 124.257 M, or 407.667651 feet, which would give just under 0.1
second more.

.... and since the gravity at 100km is 31.17 ft/s^2, that gives another 0.1
seconds.

Or is that pushing it?

--

Hypnotoad will crush Fiestacat in the November election.
Old June 26th 04, 10:29 AM
Tequila

Was this measured by transponder timing,
or exactly how.
just Curious....

T.

"Kevin Willoughby"

Old June 28th 04, 01:41 AM
Hop David

JimO wrote:
I calculate, if he overshot the boundary by 400 feet,
he was 'in space' legally for 10 seconds. Does this compute?

James, did you see Rutan's interview with Jim Skeen?
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...237427,00.html

An excerpt:

"For suborbital tourism, you've got to give everyone a large window
and a seat close to it, and you have to give them a lot of room," Rutan
said. "I particularly feel 100 kilometers is not good enough. You've got
to go to 150 kilometers (about 93 miles) and give them time to unstrap
and float around."

From the article I got the impression SS1 is just the beginning.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old June 28th 04, 02:12 PM
JimO

He said the same thing in the post-flight press conference and i thought it
so significant,
I highlighted it in my to-appear magazine report (IEEE Spectrum). I agree
with the
implications you draw.

JimO

"Hop David" wrote in message
James, did you see Rutan's interview with Jim Skeen?
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...237427,00.html

An excerpt:

"For suborbital tourism, you've got to give everyone a large window
and a seat close to it, and you have to give them a lot of room," Rutan
said. "I particularly feel 100 kilometers is not good enough. You've got
to go to 150 kilometers (about 93 miles) and give them time to unstrap
and float around."

From the article I got the impression SS1 is just the beginning.

Old June 28th 04, 02:28 PM
Paul F. Dietz

From the article I got the impression SS1 is just the beginning.

JimO wrote:

I agree with the implications you draw.

Are we getting the impression that SS2 (or whatever it's called)
will have a liquid-fueled engine?

Paul
Old June 29th 04, 07:41 PM
Mike Jones

"Paul F. Dietz" wrote in message ...
From the article I got the impression SS1 is just the beginning.

JimO wrote:

I agree with the implications you draw.

Are we getting the impression that SS2 (or whatever it's called)
will have a liquid-fueled engine?

Paul

Or at the very least LOX instead of NO2. I also recall him saying that
SS2 would be six-seater at least (or to be precise, he said that
"Space travel is only economical when you are using vehicles carrying
6-10 people").

However, I imagine Mr. Allen will probably pursuaded to give him more
money after this recent performance.