The face on Mars

Old March 14th 16, 04:11 AM posted to sci.skeptic, sci.space.policy, sci.astro, alt.alien.research, alt.alien.visitors
David Dalton

Default The face on Mars

Last night I heard an interview with Richard Hoagland in which he said
that the face on Mars could not be a trick of light and shadow since
it turned up in two images taken 30 hours apart.

--
David Dalton http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
"You've been so long/Well, it's been so long

Old March 14th 16, 05:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 12:11:37 AM UTC-4, David Dalton wrote:
Last night I heard an interview with Richard Hoagland in which he said
that the face on Mars could not be a trick of light and shadow since
it turned up in two images taken 30 hours apart.

--
David Dalton http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
"You've been so long/Well, it's been so long
And I've been putting out fire/with gasoline" (David Bowie)

issues like these are why I would love to see nasa launch 20 or so spirit and opportunities to go explore interesting areas on mars.

spirit and opportunities were affordable, and very well built. they could do some excellent science, on mars and probably the moon and other locations. built in bulk, and launced on space x launchers, they would be realtively cheap
Old March 14th 16, 11:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.html Salmon on the Thorns (mystic
page)
"You've been so long/Well, it's been so long
And I've been putting out fire/with gasoline" (David Bowie)

issues like these are why I would love to see nasa launch 20 or so spirit
and opportunities to go explore interesting areas on mars.

Issues like what? Hoagland's attempts to be relevant?

spirit and opportunities were affordable, and very well built. they could
do some excellent science, on mars and probably the moon and other
locations. built in bulk, and launced on space x launchers, they would be
realtively cheap

Even if they were cheap to launch and land, the problem isn't at that end,
it's at this end. There just aren't enough trained people handle all the
data coming back. So it's a waste of time and money.

Old March 14th 16, 12:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

spirit and opportunities were affordable, and very well built. they could
do some excellent science, on mars and probably the moon and other
locations. built in bulk, and launced on space x launchers, they would be
realtively cheap

Even if they were cheap to launch and land, the problem isn't at that end,
it's at this end. There just aren't enough trained people handle all the
data coming back. So it's a waste of time and money.

have colleges and universities do the controlling. the operators would be shadowed by a computer program to prevent accidents

besides if we sent 50 spirit clones. can accept a 10% failure rate
Old March 14th 16, 03:34 PM posted to sci.skeptic,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,alt.alien.research,alt.alien.visitors
Bob Officer[_2_]

David Dalton wrote:
Last night I heard an interview with Richard Hoagland in which he said
that the face on Mars could not be a trick of light and shadow since
it turned up in two images taken 30 hours apart.

It is a trick of light, David.

Since the over processed image of the face was made public nearly 50 years
ago. 100s of high resolution images have been made and show the face is
just a creation of mans imagination.

The real problem is the initial image had been nightly over processed and
then smoothed. You have to realize the entire face was an area nine square
pixels. The processing took nineteen steps to created to create the face.

If one took the same resolution image one could create a face out of over
50% of the possible combinations of pixels.

Hoagland was discredited years ago. As more and more data has come in to
play. He now is nothing more than a huckster hustling his side show.

Old March 14th 16, 06:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"bob haller" wrote in message

spirit and opportunities were affordable, and very well built. they
could
do some excellent science, on mars and probably the moon and other
locations. built in bulk, and launced on space x launchers, they would
be
realtively cheap

Even if they were cheap to launch and land, the problem isn't at that
end,
it's at this end. There just aren't enough trained people handle all the
data coming back. So it's a waste of time and money.

--
Greg D. Moore
http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/

have colleges and universities do the controlling. the operators would be
shadowed by a computer program to prevent accidents

Great, you just solved a problem I didn't mention.

besides if we sent 50 spirit clones. can accept a 10% failure rate

It's not CONTROLLING them that's the problem Bob. It's being able to make
sense of the data. You can't just willy-nilly drive around looking at
stuff.

You need a trained scientist making decisions.

Old March 14th 16, 08:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 2:26:46 PM UTC-4, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

ground based scientists are pretty cheap in comparison to astronauts on the ground.

plus if we were able to send 50 spirits, the info they return could be archived, no need to study it all in real time....

so whats the rush.

just skim it for important stuff, and then keep people busy for a generation

with a large amount of data, it can make future landing site choices return more data.
Old March 15th 16, 12:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

And janitors are cheaper. Your point? You still NEED them. We don't have
that many.

plus if we were able to send 50 spirits, the info they return could be
archived, no need to study it all in real time....

so whats the rush.

Exactly, so what's the rush. If you're not going to analyze it now and
simply store it for later, why not wait until later when you CAN analyze all
that data and launch then?

Also, what exactly do you want to learn that Spirit or Opportunity clones
will tell you? i.e. what is your goal. You're planning on spending
billions w/o an actual goal. That's as bad as SLS.

Once you have a specific goal, then you can optimize for that goal.

just skim it for important stuff, and then keep people busy for a
generation

What's important?

with a large amount of data, it can make future landing site choices
return more data.

Huh? Again, what data exactly are you looking for. Be specific.

Old March 15th 16, 02:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

[...]

picking landing sites for future robot explorers, and human missions

hey it looks like active water here, lets follow up with a robotic deep well drillng rig.

hey these rocks look interesting lets collect and send back to earth.

with a entire planet to explore why not take a closer look. like the face on mars, go check the old viking landers, how have they stood up to the martian enviironment? good to know before humans arrive. land near some of the crashed failed missions, might be something to learn from the debris

so how are the poles different?

a million questions and no doubt more landers would provide more queestions

The face on Earth to match the face on Mars Mahmoud In My Dinner Jacket Astronomy Misc 2 December 22nd 05 04:43 PM
First the Face On Mars... now this! Alan Erskine Policy 4 December 7th 04 04:24 PM
The new face on Mars Coder Misc 7 January 26th 04 08:13 PM
"Face on Mars" G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 43 January 12th 04 06:21 AM
Okay the Mars rover has landed: But why didn't it land near the so-called, "Face of Mars?" Rod Mollise Amateur Astronomy 6 January 8th 04 12:26 AM