Power

Old July 12th 03, 07:33 PM
Starlord

Default Power

Can someone say what power of mag I'm at using the following?

Dob 8in F8 (64inch?) 1.25 eyepiece 4.8mm Nagler

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

Old July 12th 03, 07:51 PM
Ratboy99

Can someone say what power of mag I'm at using the following?

Dob 8in F8 (64inch?) 1.25 eyepiece 4.8mm Nagler

Why, can't you?
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address
Old July 12th 03, 08:01 PM
Etok

figuring 25 mm to the inch, about 333.333333333X
I left off a few 3's so I don't sound like Ali G.

The math is like this:
Multiply inches fl by 25 (mm per inch).
64"x25=1600mm focal length.
Divide by ep mm...
1600mm/4.8mm=333.333etc.

Whatcha lookin at?

Regards,
Etok

"Starlord" wrote in message
Can someone say what power of mag I'm at using the following?

Dob 8in F8 (64inch?) 1.25 eyepiece 4.8mm Nagler

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning

lingered: and
along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again.

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 12th 03, 08:09 PM
Alan W. Craft

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:33:56 -0700, "Starlord" ...reflected:

Can someone say what power of mag I'm at using the following?

Dob 8in F8 (64inch?) 1.25 eyepiece 4.8mm Nagler

Oh, somewhere in the neighborhood of...338.666666666666666666666666666667x.

Alan

Old July 12th 03, 08:26 PM
Florian

Try this online converter...

http://www.csgnetwork.com/telefov.html

-Florian

Old July 12th 03, 09:33 PM
Howard Lester

How sad.

Howard Lester

"Florian" wrote

Old July 12th 03, 09:40 PM
Starlord

The program I use, I would need the fov and other data that I don't have. I can
only guess it's somewhere around 200X.

--

"Ratboy99" wrote in message

Can someone say what power of mag I'm at using the following?

Dob 8in F8 (64inch?) 1.25 eyepiece 4.8mm Nagler

Why, can't you?
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address

---

Old July 12th 03, 09:41 PM
Starlord

I tried it on the moon last night, then at 5am I tried it on mars.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and
along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again.

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"Etok" wrote in message

Whatcha lookin at?

Regards,
Etok

http://www.uncensored-news.com

Old July 12th 03, 10:06 PM
Ratboy99

Starlord, you don't need a program. Just divide the focal length of your
telescope by the focal length of your eyepiece.

Your eps is a 4.8mm, so you need to convert the focal length of your telescope
to the same unit - mm (unless you want to mix units and risk missing Mars -
that's a joke).

There are 25.4mm in an inch. So 25.4 x 64 (the focal length of your 8" F8)
=1625.6.

So,
1626 (the focal length of your scope in mm)

divided by 4.8 (the focal length of your eyepiece) = 338.667x

For the future, just remember that your scope has a focal length of 1626, and
you can divide it by your other eyepiece focal lengths to get their
magnifications too.

Bill
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address
Old July 12th 03, 10:13 PM
Etok

I got a peek at mars about a month ago before dawn (3am).
I have to do a couple of quick repairs, then I think I'll try my new dob on
it tonight.
I wish that Mogg adapter would arrive, so I can plug in my Toucam.

Best to you in the southland.
Etok

"Starlord" wrote in message
news
I tried it on the moon last night, then at 5am I tried it on mars.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning

lingered: and
along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again.

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund