Telescopes can tune in to alien TV.

Old October 28th 06, 08:03 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro
Robert Clark

Default Telescopes can tune in to alien TV.

Telescopes can tune in to alien TV
Public release date: 25-Oct-2006
Contact: Claire Bowles
New Scientist
"Radio telescopes designed to study the primordial universe could also
eavesdrop on extraterrestrial civilisations similar to our own. 'By a
happy accident,' says abraham Loeb of Harvard University, 'the
telescopes will be sensitive to just the kind of radio emission that
our civilisation is leaking into space.'
"The next generation of radio telescopes are designed to pick up radio
waves emitted by neutral hydrogen molecules in the early universe.
These signals originally had a wavelength of 21 centimetres, but the
universe has expanded since they were emitted, stretching the waves in
the process. Today, these signals have a wavelength of several metres,
corresponding to a frequency of tens or hundreds of megahertz. 'This
overlaps with our civilisation's radio emissions, which are in the
range 50 to 400 megahertz,' says Loeb."
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-tct102506.php

Bob Clark

Old October 28th 06, 08:26 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.crypt
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (28 Oct 2006 12:03:42 -0700) it happened "Robert Clark"
wrote in
.com:

[...]

Let's just hope their copy protection is crackable, and that they do not
come after you if you do!
Old October 28th 06, 10:29 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity
Androcles[_1_]

I'm sure the dolphins, T-Rex's, spiders, little green bogeymen and
genetically modified wheat living on alpha-Cepheus IV will be very
interested in our military radar, reruns of the "Adams Family" in
monochrome, late night pornography and WW II war correspondents,
but for some strange reason we've reverted to cable and low power
directional antennae for our satellite communications.
Remind me not to take any interest in Harvard, ****wits named "Abe"
and to cancel my New Scientist free news letter. My subscription
to that august magazine expired long ago, about the time when I forecast
the iPod as a library book with access to all literature... 1983, I think,
when it was scoffed. Of course it was not called an iPod then... oh well,
I'll continue to visit the local library for my two tons of fiction each
year,
sooner or later the tree huggers will save me a walk and I'll still have
access to Harry Potter in the children's section.
At least J.K. Rowling writes honest magic to entertain without pretence
of it being "science".
Androcles

oups.com...

Old October 29th 06, 12:12 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity
Androcles[_1_]

"Anonymous" wrote in message
er.mixmin.net...
| On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:29:37 +0000, Androcles wrote:
|
| Remind me not to take any
| interest in Harvard, ****wits named "Abe" and to cancel my New Scientist
| free news letter.
|
| I used to subscribe to Scientific American, and one day I received an
| invitation to join the Union of Concerned Scientists.
|
| By that time, I was down to reading about 1/4 of the magazine, and
| let the subscription lapse, realizing I didn't have enough interest or
| braincells to justify the outlay.
|
| But the idea that I could join the UCC was...disillusioning. I thought
| those guys solved partial differential equations in their heads, and were
| consulted by Presidents, Kings, and Emperors. And they wanted me to join?
|
| Perhaps more painful was the realization that even Scientific American
| sold subscription lists.

The whole money-making racket is a joke. Real science is about
discovering Nature, not this "I'm smarter than you, I've got a theory"
one-upmanship bull.
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde...lgol/Algol.htm

Old October 29th 06, 07:31 PM posted to sci.astro
Joseph Lazio

"RC" == Robert Clark writes:

RC Telescopes can tune in to alien TV Public release date:
RC 25-Oct-2006
RC New Scientist "Radio telescopes designed to study the primordial
RC universe could also eavesdrop on extraterrestrial civilisations
RC similar to our own. 'By a happy accident,' says abraham Loeb of
RC Harvard University, 'the telescopes will be sensitive to just the
RC kind of radio emission that our civilisation is leaking into
RC space.' "The next generation of radio telescopes are designed to
RC pick up radio waves emitted by neutral hydrogen molecules in the
RC early universe. These signals originally had a wavelength of 21
RC centimetres, but the universe has expanded since they were
RC emitted, stretching the waves in the process. Today, these signals
RC have a wavelength of several metres, corresponding to a frequency
RC of tens or hundreds of megahertz. 'This overlaps with our
RC civilisation's radio emissions, which are in the range 50 to 400
RC megahertz,' says Loeb."
RC http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-tct102506.php

Note that there has been some discussion of this topic over on
sci.astro.seti.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:
No means no, stop rape. |