Saturn - Crepe Ring ? and more

Old February 11th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Saturn - Crepe Ring ? and more

Hi there Gang,

on Friday night, before the clouds rolled in, I had a superb view of Saturn
and M44.

I thought I could see the 'Crepe Ring' between Saturn and the main Ring
System.
Was this correct??. I'm also sure that for the first time I could see quite
a lot
of detail on the cloud-tops too.

Out of curiosity I then point the scope (a large LX200 with a 41mm Panoptic
eyepiece)
and I got a (very bright) full disc view of the Moon - WOW! - worth a go but
watch out
it's BRIGHT!

This got me thinking - can I get hold of a 2" variable polarising filter -
I've now found a few
on the web.

So, my final question is - has anyone out there used one of these - are they
any good?
My options are a 2" Variable polariser filter from a number of suppliers
costing about £35
or use 2 x 2" fixed polarisers (eg Baader Planetarium) at Euro 100 the pair.

regards

Robert