IC405 Hydrogen-alpha Images

Old February 20th 04, 09:35 PM
Dennis Persyk

Default IC405 Hydrogen-alpha Images

IC405 is an emission nebula glowing richly in red H-alpha light. By
employing a selective spike filter that passes only the H-a emission
line, one can block out light pollution and even the effects of a
nearby full moon.

You may view filtered and non-filtered views of IC405 that illustrate
the unique properties of the H-a filter at
http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

I hope you will take a look and find the comparison interesting.

Clear skies,

Dennis Persyk
Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
Hampshire, IL
Old February 20th 04, 11:15 PM
Milton Aupperle

In article , Dennis
Persyk wrote:

IC405 is an emission nebula glowing richly in red H-alpha light. By
employing a selective spike filter that passes only the H-a emission
line, one can block out light pollution and even the effects of a
nearby full moon.

You may view filtered and non-filtered views of IC405 that illustrate
the unique properties of the H-a filter at
http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

I hope you will take a look and find the comparison interesting.

Clear skies,

Dennis Persyk
Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
Hampshire, IL

Hi Dennis;

Amazing shots.

What I find really interesting is the linear pattern \ streaks in the
nebula in a top left to bottom right orientation. What is causing that
as it doens't appear to be any processing artifact or motion as the
stars are sharp and detailed.

Milton Aupperle
http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImages/AstroIndex.html
Old February 21st 04, 04:11 AM
Dennis Persyk

Milton Aupperle wrote in message news:200220041614422074%milton@SAPMMUSTDIEoutcast soft.com.invalid...
In article , Dennis
Persyk wrote:

[...]

Hi Milton,

I forgot to document the artifact streaks on my web page. Thanks for
pointing them out. They seem be associated with reflections off of
the camera chip micro lenses, up to the filter, and back down to the
chip. The H-a filter is a good mirror when viewed visually. I only
get the streak artifacts with the H-a filter. Others have reported
similar effects with micro lens CCD chips and filter combinations.

Thanks for checking out the images.

Dennis