Re-entry of TMA-2

Old October 27th 03, 11:56 AM
Nikolaj Ravn Hansen

Default Re-entry of TMA-2

When TMA-1 returned to Earth, the onboard computers switched to ballistic
decent mode instead of the normal mode, resulting in higher G loads on the
crew and a touchdown several (hundred?) kilometers short of the planned
area.

The bug was identified as being some kind hardware anormaly in the descent
control unit. At this point, TMA-2 had already been launched. Does anybody
know what kind of meassures the Russians have taken to avoid something
similar during the upcoming re-entry of TMA-2?

Has some kind of patch been installed in the Soyuz computers?

/Nikolaj

Old October 27th 03, 03:36 PM
Nikolaj Ravn Hansen

Actually, I have searched but I haven't found any definitive answer
on whether the bug was hardware, software, or something perhaps a
bit in between, firmware. I would appreciate any good sources on
it, either in English or Russian.

The press release from RSC Energia

http://www.energia.ru/english/energi...se_iss-08.html

Old October 28th 03, 02:35 AM
David Corsi

nothing has been done to TMA-2 and it has been determined the odds of a
similar ballistic entry occuring are very minor... but still possible. TMA-3
was corrected.