Finder chart

Old June 29th 05, 04:19 PM
Starlord

Default Finder chart

Has anyone put out a chart for where the comet will be in the sky when the
impact happens? I checked S&T and nothing there.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
About my Car
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

Old June 29th 05, 05:23 PM
Klaatu

Starlord wrote:

Has anyone put out a chart for where the comet will be in the sky when the
impact happens? I checked S&T and nothing there.

See links at bottom of page
http://deepimpact.umd.edu/gallery/Finder_Charts.html
http://deepimpact.umd.edu/gallery/gif/9P-5b.gif
Old June 29th 05, 06:44 PM

Starlord wrote:

Has anyone put out a chart for where the comet will be in the sky when the
impact happens? I checked S&T and nothing there.

I guess it's not as visible as it might be. Go to the S&T Home Page
and check the Observing section, underneath the lead photo at top left.
There's an article called "Watching Comet Tempel 1" that should have
everything you need.

- Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

Old June 29th 05, 07:56 PM
gubbenimanen

Finder chart at p.68 in S&T June 2005 issue.

Roger Persson

Old June 29th 05, 08:19 PM
Starlord

Unless I ride the bus down into lancaster, I can't get the S&T, the
supermarket news stand only has Astronomy magazine not S&T.

ups.com...

Old June 29th 05, 08:41 PM
canopus56

Starlord wrote:
Has anyone put out a chart for where the comet will be in the sky when the
impact happens?

Topocentric position of Salt Lake City, Utah -

RA/Dec Chart:
http://members.csolutions.net/fisher...et9PFinder.gif

Alt-Az Chart (for 111 W, 41 N):
http://members.csolutions.net/fisher...inderAltAz.gif

Detailed finders at Astrosite Groningen. These charts have stellar
magnitudes
plotted:

http://www.shopplaza.nl/astro/comets...rts/comets.htm
see -
http://www.shopplaza.nl/astro/comets...rts/9PCH11.png
http://www.shopplaza.nl/astro/comets...rts/9PCH12.png

The "official" Deep Impact site finder chart is at:
http://deepimpact.umd.edu/gallery/Finder_Charts.html

Some practical tips on finding Comet 9P/Tempel 1 -

At dusk, on any basic star chart find the line between alpha Virgo
(Spica) and gamma Virgo. Currently Jupiter is just southwest of gamma
Virgo. Mid-way between gamma Virgo-Jupiter and Spica is theta Virgo
(v4.4).

Your first finder line is between Spica and theta Virgo.

Next, using binoculars or your finder scope establish a second finder
line. The second finder line is about 5 degrees north of your first
reference line, and is line defined by 82 Virgo (v5.0), 74 Virgo
(v4.7), 72 Virgo (v6.1), 66 Virgo (v5.8) and 65 Virgo (v5.8).

Comet 9P/Tempel 1 is between these two reference lines. See the
reference charts listed above for the position on any given night.

For GOTO scopes, positions for Comet 9P plotted in my RA finder charts

Positions for: Comet 9P/Tempel 1
Seen from: Salt Lake City, UT 111=B053'27.6''W, 40=B045'23.0''N
Generated from: JPL Horizons Ephemeris Generator
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/eph

Date UTC Position J2000.0
20050624 0400 J132109.18 -053442.3
20050626 0400 J132412.66 -062210.8
20050628 0400 J132723.90 -070942.1
20050630 0400 J133042.74 -075713.3
20050702 0400 J133409.04 -084441.2
20050704 0600 J133751.52 -093400.5
20050706 0400 J134123.45 -101914.7

Enjoy - Canopus56

Old June 29th 05, 09:55 PM

Starlord wrote:
Has anyone put out a chart for where the comet will be in the sky when the
impact happens? I checked S&T and nothing there.

Checkout:

http://thadlabs.com/ASTRO/Deep_Impact/

Those views (RA/Dec and horizon) should be very-close for you, too,
since I'm in N. California and you're in S. California.

Old June 29th 05, 10:39 PM
Florian

Unless I ride the bus down into lancaster, I can't get the S&T

With all that money people are sending you you can now subscribe.

Very good article and charts here by by Robert Bruce Thompson and=20
Barbara Fritchman Thompson...

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/print/a/5971

-Florian