I have a Virus in my Mail Box

Old September 22nd 03, 02:39 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default I have a Virus in my Mail Box

It keeps filling up with junk mail. Its the same mail over and over,and
this mail has no true address. Keeps my mail box from getting any more
mail. When I delete it it fills up again in 15 minutes. What to do? Will
it go away in time? Bert

Old September 22nd 03, 03:39 PM
Bill Sheppard

Bert,
As suggested before, just let it fill up, period. And create
a second account under the "Add User" function. Inform all your private
correspondants of your new addy like I did. Works like a charm. oc

Anti-spam address: oldcoot88atwebtv.net
Change 'at' to@

Old September 22nd 03, 04:49 PM
Joseph

Bert,
Check with your ISP - I found my ISP has an antispam filter - that I can
turn on and
it deletes all the SPAM. The SPAM company updates the latest email SPAM
headers -
so it filters out most of the spam. I did find they also filtered out couple
of emails that
was not spam. So might want to keep in touch with your regular contacts to
make sure
this didn't delete their emails.

Good luck
Joseph

Old September 22nd 03, 06:40 PM
Bill Duncan

In article , Joseph
wrote:

[...]

Your are not alone.It used to be these types of problems only affected

MS operating systems because of all of the holes in their software
hense the viruses that affect MS vs. Mac.But this spam problem is cross
platform and is overloading mail servers everywhere.On the Mac boards
they are deluged with the same complaints and lack of answers.Bill.

Old September 22nd 03, 07:59 PM
Fred Williams

Bill Sheppard wrote:

Bert,
As suggested before, just let it fill up, period. And
create
a second account under the "Add User" function. Inform all your
private
correspondants of your new addy like I did. Works like a charm. oc

Anti-spam address: oldcoot88atwebtv.net
Change 'at' to@

At some point you delete the old mailbox, to avoid cluttering up your
ISP's disks. In time your ISP should be filtering this stuff. Oh,
and don't forget to "munge" your new address for newsgroups.
"Munge" means to add something or alter something to disguise your
email address; for instance I add "FFFf" to mine, (see below), with
instructions to remove it if someone wants to email me. I believe my
"from" and "reply to" addresses in the header are the same. There
are thousands of emails going to the munged address, but I never look
at them and it's not a real address. Yet if a human wants to email
me, all they have to do is follow the instructions and remove the
FFFf from the address given and you have my own.
This will all blow over in time.
If you want to read more about the virus, look at:

watch the line wrap if it does.

--
Regards
Fred

Remove FFFf to reply, please

Old September 22nd 03, 08:33 PM
Gypsy Baron

Fred Williams wrote:

Oh,
and don't forget to "munge" your new address for newsgroups.
"Munge" means to add something or alter something to disguise your
email address; for instance I add "FFFf" to mine, (see below),

It would be better to add that "munge" after the @ so that
any spam bounces BEFORE it gets to your ISP. As it stands now,
it will arrive at " before it is bounced there.

If you a "munge", " then the spam will
not clutter up the ISP...it'll be bounced during the DNS lookup.

Paul