My email is bugged or has a virus ??

Old September 22nd 03, 03:41 AM
Steven Gray

Fred Williams wrote in
:

If you're still using M$ Window$ you may want to look into a
mail
client called Pegasus. It's not perfect, but it does have a menu

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

item called "Selective Mail Download" which downloads only the
headers and lets you dedcide which ones you want to delete from the
server before downloading the whole messages. I don't remember how
automated you can get with this, and you need another program for
newsgroups, for which I recommend Gravity from MicroPlanet.
I'm using Linux, so the thing can't infect my computer, but it
can
play havoc with my server and mail connection.

Right. I'm not worried about getting infected since I know better than to
open the things (and Win98 may not be susceptible anyway), but receiving
them by the hundreds is annoying.

--
Steve Gray

Old September 22nd 03, 02:21 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

I have stopped deleting the mail,and the mail box is full. Will the
virus go away in time? I could erase everything,but I have to many
addresses that I need. Bert

Old September 22nd 03, 02:21 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Old September 22nd 03, 07:29 PM
Gypsy Baron

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

I have stopped deleting the mail,and the mail box is full. Will the
virus go away in time? I could erase everything,but I have to many
addresses that I need. Bert

It has been my observation that spam & virus attacks on the
net are getting worse, not "going away"...rather like gasoline
prices in San Francisco...fast to rise, slow to fall and never
returning to the pre-rise level.
As an example, back before I left on vacation in July, my firewall
log took 4-5 months to reach a 200kb size. I was getting 10-15
entries in a typical day of systems that were attempting to
access my system.( about 1 attempt every 30 minutes or so )
Upon returning in September I noticed a radical increase in
attempts to access my system...about 1 every 1-2 minutes.
It takes about 10-14 days for my log to reach the 200kb size now!

Looking at my firewall report right now, I've been online for
35 minutes now and have logged 19 alerts so far...

Best to start masking your real email address ( do something
about the addy in the "From:" field of your posts ) and only give
it out to your trusted corresponants and keep a "public"
email address to gather the spam. I keep an AOHell account
just for that purpose...when a site needs a valid email addy
I give them the AOHell addy. I go in and clean the spam from
the mailbox regularly. My real addy gets no spam at all...

Paul

Old September 22nd 03, 08:12 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Paul I wish I knew what to do?. I have depleted all my email. My
friends will have to email me. I don't know if they can even get through
because things are getting so bad, Bert

Old September 22nd 03, 08:12 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Old September 23rd 03, 07:30 AM
Meenken

change provider,
regards

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" schreef in bericht
My web has about 50 email every 5 minutes. all from addresses that
don't have a proper address.Good email can't get through,because my web
can't hold any more. What should I do? Bert