ASTRO: UGC 9829 One of the strangest galaxies you never saw before

Old December 21st 13, 06:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: UGC 9829 One of the strangest galaxies you never saw before

UGC 9829, located in the southwest corner of Serpens Caput is a very
strange galaxy that Arp didn't include in his list of peculiar galaxies.
It is about 380 to 390 million light-years distant depending on the
method used to determine its distance. Many other galaxies in the field
are also at about this distance so it has plenty of companions. But
which one, if any, caused its odd tidal distortions? While it has two
compact companions on the west side I'd expect to see some distortion in
them if they were involved. I don't see any in the field that are a
likely candidate nor any in a field 5 times the size of mine. Best I
can surmise is it is the result of it cannibalizing one or more of its
neighbors. That might explain the odd long arm to the north. Is the
cross piece of that arm a separate feature? Does the arm actually have
a huge curve to it when seen from a different perspective with the
sudden left turn just a matter of perspective? Is the knot in it a clue
of some sort? I found no papers on this one that could shed any light
on its odd appearance. Though HyperLeda considers it a multiple galaxy
but no info on how this is derived. It could just mean they consider the
two compact ellipticals as making it multiple or it itself is made up of
multiple galaxies. They don't distinguish between the two. Though
neither of the compacts is listed as being multiple though I've found
that not necessarily a good indicator about which it is.

It is classed as a Sb peculiar galaxy at NED, just not one that
interested Arp or maybe he didn't know of it. He poured over the POSS I
plates so must have come across it. Also the annotated image shows
quasars in the area and he would have found that interesting to his near
quack science theory about active galaxies expelling quasars with
anomalous red shift not related to distance. Though these quasars may
not have been known at the time of his atlas. Also his idea was that
the redshift increased the longer ago the object was expelled which
would mean those closest to the strange emitting galaxy would have the
least redshift. In this case the projected distance of two quite
distant in angular measurement from UGC 9829 have the lowest redshift
which might have been an issue for him. In fact those are close enough
that even in my image the fuzz of the host galaxy is visible as the
quasar has so dimmed it no longer outshines its host galaxy. Also the
seem to be questionable as quasars with one listed also as a Seyfert 1
galaxy and the other as having a Broad Line Active Galactic Nuclei.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC9829L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	4903  Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC9829L4X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	4904  Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC9829L4X10RGB2X10CROP125.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	4905
Old December 22nd 13, 08:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

that is a way cool object. I don't think I have seen anything like it.

Stefan