Daily Rpt #4993

Old December 16th 09, 09:40 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Bassford, Lynn[_2_]

Default Daily Rpt #4993

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #4993

PERIOD COVERED: 5am December 15 - 5am December 16, 2009 (DOY 349/10:00z-350/10:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/WFC3/SBC 11564

Optical and Ultraviolet Photometry of Isolated Neutron Stars

We propose ultraviolet and B-band observations of 5 nearby, thermally
emitting neutron stars. These data will measure the Rayleigh-Jeans
tails of their spectra, providing a vital complement to X-ray
spectroscopy and helping to constrain atmospheric models, working
toward the ultimate goal of unraveling the physics of neutron stars.
With these data we will have good-quality optical and UV data for the
full sample of these objects, allowing detailed comparisons between
them. Finally, the data should allow us to measure proper motions for
one or two objects, and will serve as the reference data for the
remaining objects; such proper motions allow ages to be determined for
these objects by tracing them back to likely birth locations.

COS/FUV 11625

Beyond the Classical Paradigm of Stellar Winds: Investigating
Clumping, Rotation and the Weak Wind Problem in SMC O Stars

SMC O stars provide an unrivaled opportunity to probe star formation,
evolution, and the feedback of massive stars in an environment similar
to the epoch of the peak in star formation history. Two recent
breakthroughs in the study of hot, massive stars have important
consequences for understanding the chemical enrichment and buildup of
stellar mass in the Universe. The first is the realization that
rotation plays a major role in influencing the evolution of massive
stars and their feedback on the surrounding environment. The second is
a drastic downward revision of the mass loss rates of massive stars
coming from an improved description of their winds. STIS spectroscopy
of SMC O stars combined with state-of-the-art NLTE analyses has shed
new light on these two topics. A majority of SMC O stars reveal
CNO-cycle processed material brought at their surface by rotational
mixing. Secondly, the FUV wind lines of early O stars provide strong
indications of the clumped nature of their wind. Moreover, we first
drew attention to some late-O dwarfs showing extremely weak wind
signatures. Consequently, we have derived mass loss rates from STIS
spectroscopy that are significantly lower than the current theoretical
predictions used in evolutionary models. Because of the limited size
of the current sample (and some clear bias toward stars with
sharp-lined spectra), these results must however be viewed as
tentative. Thanks to the high efficiency of COS in the FUV range, we
propose now to obtain high-resolution FUV spectra with COS of a larger
sample of SMC O stars to study systematically rotation and wind
properties of massive stars at low metallicity. The analysis of the
FUV wind lines will be based on our 2D extension of CMFGEN to model
axi-symmetric rotating winds.

COS/NUV/FUV 11642

FUV/X-Ray Absorption and Emission Line Spectroscopy of the Galactic
Corona

The Galactic corona is believed to play an essential role in the
?ecosystem'' of the Galaxy. But the extent and ionization state as
well as the physical properties of the corona are yet to be
determined. We request COS/HST observations to sample the intervening
gas through the line absorptions of CIV, NV, SiIV, OI, SII, SiII, and
FeII along the LMC X-3 sight line, toward which we have already
detected OVI, OVII, and NeIX absorption lines and NVII, OVII, OVIII,
and NeIX emission lines with FUSE, Chandra, and Suzaku observations.
We have developed a software tool to jointly analyze the far-UV/X-ray
absorption and emission spectra. The requested observations will not
only allow us to rigorously test our preliminary results based on the
existing observations, but also enable us to examine various models
(e.g., diffuse hot gas vs. conductive layers) and to constrain the
spatial and thermal properties of the hot gas over a broad temperature
range. The results will provide a unique calibration of our
understanding of the corona.

FGS 11788

The Architecture of Exoplanetary Systems

Are all planetary systems coplanar? Concordance cosmogony makes that
prediction. It is, however, a prediction of extrasolar planetary
system architecture as yet untested by direct observation for main
sequence stars other than the Sun. To provide such a test, we propose
to carry out FGS astrometric studies on four stars hosting seven
companions. Our understanding of the planet formation process will
grow as we match not only system architecture, but formed planet mass
and true distance from the primary with host star characteristics for
a wide variety of host stars and exoplanet masses.

We propose that a series of FGS astrometric observations with
demonstrated 1 millisecond of arc per-observation precision can
establish the degree of coplanarity and component true masses for four
extrasolar systems: HD 202206 (brown dwarf+planet); HD 128311
(planet+planet), HD 160691 = mu Arae (planet+planet), and HD 222404AB
= gamma Cephei (planet+star). In each case the companion is identified
as such by assuming that the minimum mass is the actual mass. For the
last target, a known stellar binary system, the companion orbit is
stable only if coplanar with the AB binary orbit.

S/C 12046

COS FUV DCE Memory Dump

Whenever the FUV detector high voltage is on, count rate and current
draw information is collected, monitored, and saved to DCE memory.
Every 10 msec the detector samples the currents from the HV power
supplies (HVIA, HVIB) and the AUX power supply (AUXI). The last 1000
samples are saved in memory, along with a histogram of the number of
occurrences of each current value.

In the case of a HV transient (known as a "crackle" on FUSE), where
one of these currents exceeds a preset threshold for a persistence
time, the HV will shut down, and the DCE memory will be dumped and
examined as part of the recovery procedure. However, if the current
exceeds the threshold for less than the persistence time (a
"mini-crackle" in FUSE parlance), there is no way to know without
dumping DCE memory. By dumping and examining the histograms regularly,
we will be able to monitor any changes in the rate of "mini-crackles"
and thus learn something about the state of the detector.

STIS/CCD 11844

CCD Dark Monitor Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CCD 11846

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2,
2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1, and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up
high-S/N superbiases and track the evolution of hot columns.

WFC3/IR/S/C 11929

IR Dark Current Monitor

Analyses of ground test data showed that dark current signals are more
reliably removed from science data using darks taken with the same
exposure sequences as the science data, than with a single dark
current image scaled by desired exposure time. Therefore, dark current
images must be collected using all sample sequences that will be used
in science observations. These observations will be used to monitor
changes in the dark current of the WFC3-IR channel on a day-to-day
basis, and to build calibration dark current ramps for each of the
sample sequences to be used by Gos in Cycle 17. For each sample
sequence/array size combination, a median ramp will be created and
delivered to the calibration database system (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS 11903

UVIS Photometric Zero Points

This proposal obtains the photometric zero points in 53 of the 62
UVIS/WFC3 filters: the 18 broad-band filters, 8 medium-band filters,
16 narrow-band filters, and 11 of the 20 quad filters (those being
used in cycle 17). The observations will be primary obtained by
observing the hot DA white dwarf standards GD153 and G191-B2B. A
redder secondary standard, P330E, will be observed in a subset of the
filters to provide color corrections. Repeat observations in 16 of the
most widely used cycle 17 filters will be obtained once per month for
the first three months, and then once every second month for the
duration of cycle 17, alternating and depending on target
availability. These observations will enable monitoring of the
stability of the photometric system. Photometric transformation
equations will be calculated by comparing the photometry of stars in
two globular clusters, 47 Tuc and NGC 2419, to previous measurements
with other telescopes/instruments.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS 11908

Cycle 17: UVIS Bowtie Monitor

Ground testing revealed an intermittent hysteresis type effect in the
UVIS detector (both CCDs) at the level of ~1%, lasting hours to days.
Initially found via an unexpected bowtie-shaped feature in flatfield
ratios, subsequent lab tests on similar e2v devices have since shown
that it is also present as simply an overall offset across the entire
CCD, i.e., a QE offset without any discernable pattern. These lab
tests have further revealed that overexposing the detector to count
levels several times full well fills the traps and effectively
neutralizes the bowtie. Each visit in this proposal acquires a set of
three 3x3 binned internal flatfields: the first unsaturated image will
be used to detect any bowtie, the second, highly exposed image will
neutralize the bowtie if it is present, and the final image will allow
for verification that the bowtie is gone.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11700

Bright Galaxies at z7.5 with a WFC3 Pure Parallel Survey

The epoch of reionization represents a special moment in the history
of the Universe as it is during this era that the first galaxies and
star clusters are formed. Reionization also profoundly affects the
environment where subsequent generations of galaxies evolve. Our
overarching goal is to test the hypothesis that galaxies are
responsible for reionizing neutral hydrogen. To do so we propose to
carry out a pure parallel WFC3 survey to constrain the bright end of
the redshift z7.5 galaxy luminosity function on a total area of 176
arcmin^2 of sky. Extrapolating the evolution of the luminosity
function from z~6, we expect to detect about 20 Lyman Break Galaxies
brighter than M_* at z~8 significantly improving the current sample of
only a few galaxies known at these redshifts. Finding significantly
fewer objects than predicted on the basis of extrapolation from z=6
would set strong limits to the brightness of M_*, highlighting a fast
evolution of the luminosity function with the possible implication
that galaxies alone cannot reionize the Universe. Our observations
will find the best candidates for spectroscopic confirmation, that is
bright z7.5 objects, which would be missed by small area deeper
surveys. The random pointing nature of the program is ideal to beat
cosmic variance, especially severe for luminous massive galaxies,
which are strongly clustered. In fact our survey geometry of 38
independent fields will constrain the luminosity function like a
contiguous single field survey with two times more area at the same
depth. Lyman Break Galaxies at z7.5 down to m_AB=26.85 (5 sigma) in
F125W will be selected as F098M dropouts, using three to five orbits
visits that include a total of four filters (F606W, F098M, F125W,
F160W) optimized to remove low-redshift interlopers and cool stars.
Our data will be highly complementary to a deep field search for
high-z galaxies aimed at probing the faint end of the luminosity
function, allowing us to disentangle the degeneracy between faint end
slope and M_* in a Schechter function fit of the luminosity function.
We waive proprietary rights for the data. In addition, we commit to
release the coordinates and properties of our z7.5 candidates within
one month from the acquisition of each field.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 7 7
FGS REAcq 10 10
OBAD with Maneuver 5 5

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily #4094 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 April 18th 06 04:28 PM
Daily #4079 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 28th 06 07:44 PM
Daily #4078 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 28th 06 07:33 PM
Daily #4077 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 28th 06 07:16 PM
Daily #4076 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 28th 06 07:09 PM