Winter Solstice

Old December 20th 03, 11:44 PM
Doctor Bombay

Default Winter Solstice

My kid is doing a project at school and they want her to give the exact info
about the shortest day of the year.

She needs to know what time the sun rises and what time it sets and just how
many minutes are in the day

I HAVE looked on the net for this info but I cant seem to find any.

Would any of you smart people point me to a website that has this info?

Thanks very much

DB

Old December 21st 03, 12:41 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Doctor Bombay" wrote in
:

My kid is doing a project at school and they want her to give the
exact info about the shortest day of the year.

She needs to know what time the sun rises and what time it sets and
just how many minutes are in the day

I HAVE looked on the net for this info but I cant seem to find any.

Would any of you smart people point me to a website that has this
info?

Try the Naval Observatory:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

It provides sunrise/sunset times for any day. The exact time of the winter
solstice is he

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/wintersolstice1.html

(Just how hard did you look on the net? I found these links in about 30
seconds with Google.)

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old December 22nd 03, 06:12 AM
starman

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:

"Doctor Bombay" wrote in
:

My kid is doing a project at school and they want her to give the
exact info about the shortest day of the year.

She needs to know what time the sun rises and what time it sets and
just how many minutes are in the day

I HAVE looked on the net for this info but I cant seem to find any.

Would any of you smart people point me to a website that has this
info?

Try the Naval Observatory:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

It provides sunrise/sunset times for any day. The exact time of the winter
solstice is he

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/wintersolstice1.html

Although the December solstice marks the shortest day in the northern
hemisphere, why does the earliest sunset occur a few days before the
solstice, while the latest sunrise happens several days after the
solstice?

Hint: The answer can be found in that mysterious 'figure eight' which
often appears somewhere in the Pacific ocean, on a model globe of the
earth.

Old December 22nd 03, 03:49 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Doctor Bombay wrote:
My kid is doing a project at school and they want her to give the exact info
about the shortest day of the year.

She needs to know what time the sun rises and what time it sets and just how
many minutes are in the day

"About four minutes ago" for the second one :-)

If you got to http://www.heavens-above.com/ and give it your location,
it'll give you that exact data for today (under "Sun data") for your
location...

--
-Andrew Gray