Globalstar Name Changes

Old March 23rd 06, 01:13 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe

Default Globalstar Name Changes

Greeting to the group,

Would anyone in the group have a good explination of the name changes
that the Globalstar satellites have undergone? I have tried to figure it
out on my own, but can not come up with a good side-by-side comparison of
the former name and the current name.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Old March 23rd 06, 11:28 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe

"Bill Arnold" wrote:

Would anyone in the group have a good explanation of the name changes
that the Globalstar satellites have undergone? I have tried to figure it
out on my own, but can not come up with a good side-by-side comparison of
the former name and the current name.

Name change? H-A still lists them all as Globalstars; astronautix.com
doesn't mention anything. All I could turn up on a Google search was at

http://www.globalstar.com/en/news/pr...hp?pressId=395

which explains some confusion over two companies that use the
Globalstar name. What designation have you heard?

--Bill Thompson

Old March 27th 06, 10:29 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe

Would anyone in the group have a good explination of the
name changes that the Globalstar satellites have undergone?

I looked up 2001 Globalstar orbital elements (including the
name line) and compared the names and see what you mean --
that some of them have been given different numbers than they
used to have (i.e., making one up, "Globalstar 101" now being
"Globalstar M103". I haven't seen any explanation but will
speculate that they're mainly administrative changes with not
much significance. Perhaps have few have to do with some
actually being switched in orbit. A few are not in the
nominal orbit. At least one, Globalstar 23 (25621, 99-004A)
is tumbling (and flashing -- sometimes very brightly).

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA