[Semi-OT] Wow - look at this pic of Hyperion!

Old October 5th 05, 02:46 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Default [Semi-OT] Wow - look at this pic of Hyperion!

Pretty amazing view by Cassini. I swear this thing looks like a giant
sea sponge. I've never seen such detail in a deep solar system probe
picture before.

"Fame may be fleeting but obscurity is forever." ~Anonymous
"I believe as little as possible and know as much as I can."
~Todd Stuart Phillips
www.angryherb.net

Old October 5th 05, 08:48 PM
Pat Flannery

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Pretty amazing view by Cassini. I swear this thing looks like a giant
sea sponge. I've never seen such detail in a deep solar system probe
picture before.

That's the oddest looking Moon I've ever seen. To me it looks like a
mushroom of some sort.
They'll have a field day explaining what led to that.

Pat
Old October 6th 05, 03:58 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Pretty amazing view by Cassini. I swear this thing looks like a giant
sea sponge. I've never seen such detail in a deep solar system probe
picture before.

That's the oddest looking Moon I've ever seen. To me it looks like a
mushroom of some sort.
They'll have a field day explaining what led to that.

Almost looks like something came through from the other side.

Pat

Old October 6th 05, 09:05 AM
Anthony Frost

In message
Pat Flannery wrote:

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Pretty amazing view by Cassini. I swear this thing looks like a giant
sea sponge. I've never seen such detail in a deep solar system probe
picture before.

That's the oddest looking Moon I've ever seen. To me it looks like a
mushroom of some sort.
They'll have a field day explaining what led to that.

Bees. Giant space bees.

Anthony

Old October 6th 05, 09:28 AM
Damon Hill

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote in
link.net:

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Pretty amazing view by Cassini. I swear this thing looks like a giant
sea sponge. I've never seen such detail in a deep solar system probe
picture before.

That's the oddest looking Moon I've ever seen. To me it looks like a
mushroom of some sort.
They'll have a field day explaining what led to that.

Almost looks like something came through from the other side.

Kind of like a rock with barnacles on it. Possibly
dust (ice dust?) accumulation after impacts?

Another fascinating picture, this time a closeup in high
detail of a sunspot:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0510/05sunspots/

--Damon

Old October 6th 05, 03:48 PM
Neil Gerace

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

They'll have a field day explaining what led to that.

Rimmer: Aliens!

Lister: Oh god! Aliens? Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is
aliens, isn't it? You lose your keys - it's aliens. A picture falls off the
wall - it's aliens. That time we used up a whole bog-roll in a day - you
thought that was aliens as well.

Rimmer: Well we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?

Lister: Rimmer, aliens used our bog-roll?

Rimmer: Just because they're aliens doesn't mean to say they don't have to
visit the little boys' room. Only, they probably do something weird and
alienesque like it comes out of the top of their heads or something.

Lister: Well I wouldn't like to be stuck behind one in a cinema.

Old October 6th 05, 06:45 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Damon Hill
writes
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote in
hlink.net:

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Pretty amazing view by Cassini. I swear this thing looks like a giant
sea sponge. I've never seen such detail in a deep solar system probe
picture before.

That's the oddest looking Moon I've ever seen. To me it looks like a
mushroom of some sort.
They'll have a field day explaining what led to that.

Almost looks like something came through from the other side.

Someone on sci.astro thought it looked like a wasps nest, which inspires
all sorts of uncomfortable images, especially given that "vast system of
caverns" phrase.
Just to bring it firmly back on topic with some recent history, would
Galileo have seen things like that if it had imaged Jupiter's small
moons at 1000-foot resolution?
--
Boycott Yahoo!
Old October 9th 05, 04:01 PM
Peter Stickney

Pat Flannery wrote:

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Pretty amazing view by Cassini. I swear this thing looks like a
giant
sea sponge. I've never seen such detail in a deep solar system
probe picture before.

That's the oddest looking Moon I've ever seen. To me it looks like a
mushroom of some sort.
They'll have a field day explaining what led to that.

I've seen similar behavior in water ice that has mineral contaminants
in it - Seawater or the runoff from treated roads.

--
Pete Stickney
Java Man knew nothing about coffee.
Old October 9th 05, 05:31 PM
Pat Flannery

Peter Stickney wrote:

That's the oddest looking Moon I've ever seen. To me it looks like a
mushroom of some sort.
They'll have a field day explaining what led to that.

I've seen similar behavior in water ice that has mineral contaminants
in it - Seawater or the runoff from treated roads.

I've seen that also- what this moon looks like is how I always pictured
a comet's nucleus to look; something that has had a lot of its surface
vaporized, leaving pits all over it. To me, this moon looks like it is
mainly ice, or at least its material has a lot of ice in it mixed with dust.
What hits be as odd is that peripheral ring that surrounds the central
area of the picture, almost like there is a large shallow crater that
the central area has slid down the inside of and now rests in the center
of the depression.
That is just plain odd, but it might be that a lot of what we are seeing
are effects due to the moon's very low gravity.

Pat
Old October 10th 05, 12:03 AM

Is anyone else having problems posting today? I've sent the same basic
message 3 times now and it hasn't appeared. It's very annoying tyo have
to redo a long reply several times.