OT- China gets an aircraft carrier

Old August 26th 05, 05:09 AM
Pat Flannery

Default OT- China gets an aircraft carrier

So where do all the WalMart dollars go?
Straight to Moscow, that's where they go:
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/08/...acarrier.shtml

Pat
Old August 26th 05, 05:33 AM
Dale

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:09:28 -0500, Pat Flannery wrote:

So where do all the WalMart dollars go?
Straight to Moscow, that's where they go:
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/08/...acarrier.shtml

Geez, the launch ramp on that thing makes my stomach hurt.
I hope they cover the edges of it with red ceramic roofing tiles

Dale
Old August 26th 05, 06:01 AM
Andre Lieven

Pat Flannery ) writes:
So where do all the WalMart dollars go?
Straight to Moscow, that's where they go:
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/08/...acarrier.shtml

Theres more pics of Varyag at: www.varyagworld.com. Including
pics of her at Dalian, China.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old August 26th 05, 06:03 AM
Andre Lieven

Dale ) writes:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:09:28 -0500, Pat Flannery wrote:

So where do all the WalMart dollars go?
Straight to Moscow, that's where they go:
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/08/...acarrier.shtml

Geez, the launch ramp on that thing makes my stomach hurt.

Its a pretty good scale up of the British invented ski ramp that
they came up with so as to be able to launch loaded Harriers from
small carriers. Several other navies adopted the concept. But,
the fUSSR was the only one to try it for large and supersonic
CTOL fighters like the SU-27 and MiG-29.

I hope they cover the edges of it with red ceramic roofing tiles

How about some snow on it ?

Andre

Old August 26th 05, 06:35 AM
Andre Lieven

Dale ) writes:
On 26 Aug 2005 05:03:17 GMT, (Andre Lieven)
wrote:

Dale ) writes:

Geez, the launch ramp on that thing makes my stomach hurt.

Its a pretty good scale up of the British invented ski ramp that
they came up with so as to be able to launch loaded Harriers from
small carriers. Several other navies adopted the concept. But,
the fUSSR was the only one to try it for large and supersonic
CTOL fighters like the SU-27 and MiG-29.

I guess after forking out the rubles for the planes they didn't have
enough left for a catapult.

Well, its a complex piece of gear, more so for a navy that it looking
to build it's first real fixed wing aircraft carrier. The Kievs were
missile cruisers with a helo and VSTOL capability.

Had the USSR not collapsed when it did, the followon class of
carrier was expected to be both a nuke or partially nuke ship
( Like the Kirov class cruisers, 90,000 SHP from nukes, and a
steam plant for 60,000 SHP more ), with cats.

But, moving from subsonic YAKs, flying from a flat deck, to
supersonic and heavier MiG-29s and SU-27s, well, the ski ramp
makes for a good mid point, before moving to steam cats.

Note that when the RN and USN adopted cats, they both had close
to 30-35 years of developing and operating carriers, and the
planes of the 50s were far less demanding to launch than Mig-29s,
et al are.

I hope they cover the edges of it with red ceramic roofing tiles

How about some snow on it ?

Perfect

The new site for the 2006 Winter Games skiiing events... g

Andre

Old August 26th 05, 08:04 AM
OM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:18:58 -0700, Dale wrote:

I guess after forking out the rubles for the planes they didn't have
enough left for a catapult.

....Nah, we just wouldn't sell them those big rubber bands.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old August 26th 05, 01:24 PM
Richard Kaszeta

Dale writes:
Note that when the RN and USN adopted cats, they both had close
to 30-35 years of developing and operating carriers, and the
planes of the 50s were far less demanding to launch than Mig-29s,
et al are.

I take it a steam catapult is a bigger challenge than I thought.

Having seen modern catapult systems, they are definitely an
engineering challenge. For the typical steam catapult, there is a
pair of pistons that travel down a pair of slotted cylinders. The
pistons are connected by a T-bar, which hooks to the launch shuttle.
There are a lot of engineering issues:

(a) The two cylinders have to have the same pressure. This means that
the cylinder slots need to be very precise (in the current
system, the slots need to be accurate to 1 mil over the entire 350
length of the cylinder, which is not a trivial accomplishment)
(b) The system has to be very, very reliable, since a failed catapult
launch usually means the plane ends up in the drink, or in a
hangfire (plane at full throttle stuck on the shuttle partway down
the deck)
(c) There's a lot of live steam everywhere. For anyone that's
actually dealt with true live steam, it's very dangerous.

A reasonable overview is at
https://wrc.navair-rdte.navy.mil/war...s/catapult.htm

--
Richard W Kaszeta