"ntl newsgroups" / "david" is not me!

Old November 2nd 03, 07:02 PM
David Nisbet

Default "ntl newsgroups" / "david" is not me!

I came on to the group about half an hour ago and found some posts which say
they are from my email address, and one of them even used my name. I want to
tell everyone that that is NOT ME.
Besides, I don't even own any "Starry night" software, and I wouldn't touch
illegal **** like Kazaa.

I've contacted my ISP so hopefully they'll get rid of the little ****

Old November 2nd 03, 07:18 PM
ChrisH

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 19:02:14 -0000, "David Nisbet"
wrote:

I came on to the group about half an hour ago and found some posts which say
they are from my email address, and one of them even used my name. I want to
tell everyone that that is NOT ME.
Besides, I don't even own any "Starry night" software, and I wouldn't touch
illegal **** like Kazaa.

I've contacted my ISP so hopefully they'll get rid of the little ****

Then he's a damn clever little **** - using the same IP address as
you, posting through the same NNTP server, and using the same version
of Outlook Express ...

Lighten up son, no-one's going to shoot you. Just don't BS us.

ChrisH

UK Astro Ads: http://www.UKAstroAds.co.uk
Old November 2nd 03, 09:47 PM
Roger Smith

In message , David
Nisbet wrote
I came on to the group about half an hour ago and found some posts which say
they are from my email address, and one of them even used my name. I want to
tell everyone that that is NOT ME.
Besides, I don't even own any "Starry night" software, and I wouldn't touch
illegal **** like Kazaa.

I've contacted my ISP so hopefully they'll get rid of the little ****

You are using Outlook Express which is the most insecure software on the
net (and really bad for anything other than email) as the thief has
pretty much all the same header information it could well be that he has
essentially hijacked your computer to send these messages.
In which case I recommend that you do several things firstly download
Agent or some other email/newsreader software, then get good firewall
software such as Zone Alarm, both are available as free versions though
the paid up versions are better. Then disconnect from the Internet
remove Outlook as much as possible and install the new software, set up
zone alarm so that whatever remains of outlook has no access to the
Internet. The next thing is to check that all the files on your computer
are supposed to be there if there are a lot that shouldn't consider a
serious cleanup. When you reconnect Zone Alarm will if you set it up as
per the instructions ask you about every piece of software that tries to
talk to the Internet, if you don't recognise it or you can't think why
it needs to talk deny it permission if something falls over you can
always switch it back later.

There is of course a simpler and less charitable explanation for the
matching headers.
--
Roger
52:54:41N
Old November 2nd 03, 10:11 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Craig Oldfield
writes
In article ,
burbled happily...

I came on to the group about half an hour ago and found some posts which say
they are from my email address, and one of them even used my name. I want to
tell everyone that that is NOT ME.

Then he's a damn clever little **** - using the same IP address as
you, posting through the same NNTP server, and using the same version
of Outlook Express ...

You noticed that too? Better send him an email, sounds like he's being
burgled

Sounds like my justification for using the same copy of Paint Shop Pro
at home and work. If both sets are in use at the same time, breaching
the software licence is the least of my worries!
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old November 2nd 03, 10:46 PM
Stephen Tonkin

David Nisbet wrote:
I came on to the group about half an hour ago and found some posts which say
they are from my email address, and one of them even used my name.

And they *all* used your posting host and your copy if IE. This is
terrible. You must be devastated, you poor dear.

I want to
tell everyone that that is NOT ME.
Besides, I don't even own any "Starry night" software, and I wouldn't touch
illegal **** like Kazaa.

If I was a suspicious, cynical, uncharitable *******, I'd be following
up my question in the other thread with one in this one about how many
porkies one has to tell in order to be a liar.

I've contacted my ISP so hopefully they'll get rid of the little ****

I'm sure we'd all be delighted to hear what they have to say.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old November 3rd 03, 04:59 PM
David Nisbet

oh thank you so much for your kind words
wonder how you'd feel if you got hacked and someone used your email, ip and
all that to post stuff on the net claiming to be you

Old November 3rd 03, 10:32 PM
mike ring

"David Nisbet" wrote in
:

oh thank you so much for your kind words
wonder how you'd feel if you got hacked and someone used your email,
ip and all that to post stuff on the net claiming to be you

Terrible, specially if he went to all that trouble to post to lowlifes like
uk.sci.astronomy - I wouldn't go near 'em meself

mike r
Old November 4th 03, 12:01 AM
Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:59:15 -0000, in uk.sci.astronomy , "David
Nisbet" wrote:

oh thank you so much for your kind words
wonder how you'd feel if you got hacked and someone used your email, ip and
all that to post stuff on the net claiming to be you

Well, TBH they seem to have managed for forge *absolutely everything*,
which would a) be quite a feat, and b) be pretty pointless. Certainly
I've never seen/heard of it being done before.

It /is/ possible tho, but you can see why people are suspicious.
Better just to change your screen name and start again.

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Old November 4th 03, 06:06 AM
Stephen Tonkin

David Nisbet wrote:
oh thank you so much for your kind words
wonder how you'd feel if you got hacked and someone used your email, ip and
all that to post stuff on the net claiming to be you

But you are *so* lucky that you just happened, purely by chance, upon
the newsgroup where the "hacker" bragged about his dishonesty, and were
therefore able to correct the impression of you that he gave. The odds
against that must be thousands to one.

You may wish to know that a hacker is using your details to post utter
dross as "Jonathan Archer" to the trekkie newsgroups. What a complete
plonker!