Q. Trying to understand concept in gravity

Old August 5th 03, 04:36 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Q. Trying to understand concept in gravity

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
BV Carbon is the building block to create life. To assume life
formed completly different than life forms on earth,is very "iffy"
thinking. We have millions and millions of different life forms on
earth to chose from. Bert

I don't think it's iffy at all. Using the Earth as our only data set doesn't
IMHO dictate the universe. Life as we know it is carbon based and dependant
on water. That doesn't mean that ALL life in the universe is the same. I
think to assume that would lend to a margin of error that we cannot afford.
In a case like this, I think we need to remain open minded on the
possibility of life forming a different way somewhere else in the universe.
Clearly Moby has different needs then you right? So maybe the Bert on Planet
X is silicon based?

BV.

Old August 6th 03, 04:05 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

BV Moby has two eyes one brain,one heart. a mouth digestive system,and
breaths oxygen. He has lots of features different to help him
survive in a different medium(water). He can move in every direction.
Octopus like man are survivors because they can out think all other
animals that can do them bodily harm. When I look into Moby's eyes I
know he is looking back at me. I have the brain power of animals in
this order MAN, City Rat,and Octopus. Some will argue
monkeys.whales.after man(so be it) In the insect realm its
cockroaches,,bees.and horse flies. Bert

Old August 6th 03, 04:32 PM
Dennis Taylor

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Octopus like man are survivors because they can out think all other
animals that can do them bodily harm.

Nope. Octopi survive because they are physically adapted to their
environment. Just like cats and rats and elephants.

Typically the way this argument will go is that the opponent will respond by
giving examples of intelligent behaviour in octopi and daring me to declare
that this isn't intelligent behaviour. This is of course a straw man
argument, since there's a big difference between a rat being able to
navigate a maze, for instance, and declaring that a rat survives because it
is intelligent like humans.

The next thing that the opponent will do is point out that he's talking
about octopi, not rats, and therefore my point is invalid. I will then point
out that you can substitute "octopus" for "rat" in my statement, and it
still has the same meaning; but I used rats because I don't know if they've
put octopi through mazes.

The opponent will then go off into a long rambling diatribe about how we are
chauvinistic to define intelligence by our own standards, and that in its
own way an octopus is "intelligent", and how can I say that they aren't as
intelligent as humans in their own way. I will point out that the original
statement pretty specifically referred to a "human-type" intelligence, and
anyway if the statement referred to "octopus adaptation-type intelligence",
then the statement is true but trivial, basically saying "octopus survive
because they are good at being octopus". Ooh.

At this point, depending on temperament, the opponent will either go into
retreating definitions, trying to score and/or avoid being pinned down on
smaller and smaller points of the original argument, or will go into ad
hominim arguments, trying to discredit my arguments by attacking my
spelling, grammar, or character.

[sigh]

I may be being unfair to Bert on this, but it does get a little predictable
around here some times.

Old August 6th 03, 10:57 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Dennis You are not unfair to me at all by expressing your personal
views on animal intelligence. You will notice I site city rats. Country
rats are not nearly as smart. I could write a book on Moby because we
are friends and we study each other. Truth is he likes showing me how
smart he is. I never gave him a treat every time he jumped through a
hoop. He would not jump through a hoop with or without a
treat(to smart for that) A duck can give the appearance of great
intelligence(play the piano and hit the right keys to a simple song.It
has no idea what it is really doing.. This kind of
controlling animal behavior by a treat after every trick does not really
show intelligence. NOVA had a show on the intelligence of the city
rat(what he could think out and do on its own) and it was more than than
running a maze. It was amazing Bert

Old August 6th 03, 11:26 PM
Dennis Taylor

"Bill Duncan" wrote in message
et...
I saw one time on the Discovery Channel an octopus unscrewing the lid
of a jar to get to the crab inside.Let's see a rat do that.Bill.