Question about the ETX telescope

Old August 4th 03, 10:57 AM
Alfee

Default Question about the ETX telescope

Hello everybody, I am a new comer and a beginner of astronomy. I am planning
to buy my first telescope and hope to buy a one with computer so that its
has the GOTO function. After gathering information from the internet
discussion group, I find that the Meade ETX series is a highly recommended
by it excellent optic quality and its light weight. But I have still some
questions:
1) Someone in other newsgroup said that ETX has too small focal
ratio(f/13.8) so its not possible to take photo of deepsky objects, is it
true? and I find that there is a f/6.3 reducer, what is the mechanism of it
and is it really able to make the light gathered brighter?
2) If I buy a higher grade model eg ETX125, I find from the spec that the
focal ratio is even worse (f/15), why is that and is that mean ETX125 is
even worse in viewing deep sky object?
3) I want to use a digital camera (not a DSLR) to take astrophoto, how much
is the adapter and can it be DIY?

sorry for so many question, Thank you all of you!

Old August 4th 03, 12:35 PM
Alfee

Wally, thank you very much for your information. I think I will make up my
mind for the ETX125. But in our place (Hong Kong) has quite serious light
and air polution. I hope I can get some really decent photos from it.

Clear skies~~

Old August 4th 03, 12:42 PM
Bobsprit

Wally, thank you very much for your information. I think I will make up my
mind for the ETX125. But in our place (Hong Kong) has quite serious light
and air polution. I hope I can get some really decent photos from it.

Drop the goto function and look for a bigger scope. You'll be happier with it's
abilities in the long run. The ETX is cheap, is plagued with quality control
issues and it's FL will make it a pretty poor deep sky scope overall.
Don't be fooled by the goto option....it's the least important part of the
instrument. Have a look at some of Orion's beginner scopes.

Capt. Robert B
NY
Old August 4th 03, 06:15 PM
Alfee

Thank you for your advice, I think I should consider more telescopes before
making my decision. Any good suggestion for a beginner, budget about
$US1000, can view planets and deep sky (I hope I dont need to upgrade it in
the near future), Thanks

Old August 5th 03, 04:28 AM
Alfee

Robert Thank you so much for your information. Its seems that Orion
telescope has good quality in a comparetively reasonable price. But I have
problem in HK to find an Orion telescope. We have 2 companies here selling
Meade and Celestron telescopes only. Moreover, in your experience, is it
very heavy to carry the equipments including a 8" S-N telescope and the
tripod by myself. Because there is serious light pollution near my home and
I need to drive to more "suburban" area to look at the sky. Is the 8" S-C
telescope smaller and lighter? There is a bargin price for the Meade 8" SCT
with autostar and tripod at about $US1200, is it a good telescope? I read
its comments from the LX55 site and it appears quite big too...Is it
suitable for carrying too? Thank you!
Clear sky~~

Old August 6th 03, 04:41 AM
Bobsprit

There is a bargin price for the Meade 8" SCT
with autostar and tripod at about $US1200, is it a good telescope? I read
its comments from the LX55 site and it appears quite big too...Is it
suitable for carrying too? Thank you!

You can carry a SC 8, but it's not easy for long distance and it's tough to
carry everything. Then again, a newtonian or dob is also a pain.
The SC is smaller and lighter than most designs, but a 8 inch scope starts to
get heavy after a block or two!

RB