NASA'S Clock is Ticking

Old August 6th 05, 02:23 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default NASA'S Clock is Ticking

Well it won't be long before Discovery will be coming down. Some one
once posted that it would be a good idea if shuttles could fold in their
wings. Its the underbelly missing or possible tiles coming off that is
the biggest problem,and next is the lead edge of the wings. Angle
hitting the air is critical with an object with wings.(flipping flat
stone effect) I've made stuff using cement(concrete) finished the
surface with fine marble dust(Georgia marble). No seams smooth as a
baby's ass. Can take great heat. I wonder what each of those shuttle
tiles weighs? Bert

Old August 7th 05, 02:44 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

JATO Thanks for that information. I thought the tiles might be kind of
heavy. Did know they have to come in different curvatures,but was
unaware of their thickness. Been going to Florida back yards as gunite
concrete pools are going in. For an extra $500 they finish the pool in
powdered marble I was hoping this could be done for the shuttles
underbelly. Kind of due away with those 20,000 crazy glued tiles. Bert
PS the reason I go to houses with pools going in I hope to find another
Florida meteorite that should be about 8 feet down. Nice to let some
one else do the digging

Old August 7th 05, 05:14 PM
Bill Sheppard

From Bert:

For an extra $500 they finish the pool in
polished marble I was hoping this could
be done for the shuttles underbelly. Kind
of due away with those 20,000 crazy
glued tiles.

Bert, the use of individual tiles was well reasoned. The shuttle's
airframe undergoes a fair amount if flexing and contorting from the
stresses of launch and reentry. Also it expands and contracts some from
temperature variations. Think of what would happen with a solid
porcelain underbelly.
The tiles are fitted with a slight clearance between
them to allow the whole underbelly to flex and expand/contract without
fracturing anything (hopefully :-)). oc

Old August 7th 05, 11:50 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi oc Flexible reinforce concrete is needed. Most sky scrapers
are made with poured concrete,and sway a lot in a hurricane 165 mph
wind. They don't crack. Reality is cement can be made with lots of
different features to fit the job.Saw a sail boat on lake Toho was made
of continuos concrete. Very smooth looking and can't leak.Owner told me
it was easy and fast to build. Its frame was chicken wire shell. This is
exactly like the stucco homes in Huntington Beach are made,and they
stand up to earthquakes Well oc it is just an idea. I like the burn
away material used in capsule rentry the best. Its been proven it works
every time. Beert

Old August 8th 05, 01:12 AM
Double-A

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Hi oc Flexible reinforce concrete is needed. Most sky scrapers
are made with poured concrete,and sway a lot in a hurricane 165 mph
wind. They don't crack. Reality is cement can be made with lots of
different features to fit the job.Saw a sail boat on lake Toho was made
of continuos concrete. Very smooth looking and can't leak.Owner told me
it was easy and fast to build. Its frame was chicken wire shell. This is
exactly like the stucco homes in Huntington Beach are made,and they
stand up to earthquakes Well oc it is just an idea. I like the burn
away material used in capsule rentry the best. Its been proven it works
every time. Beert

Isn't concrete a little too heavy to be using on aircraft and space
vehicles? I've heard of the Spruce Goose and the Flying Wing, but I've
never heard of the Flying Slab!

Double-A

Old August 8th 05, 12:59 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Double-A The tiles are made of heavy material,and there are 20,000
of them. Maybe some engineering thought should be given to slowing the
shuttle speed down to half its rentry speed. A gentler meeting of the
air. Half the friction means 50% less heat. Bert

Old August 8th 05, 02:01 PM
Raving Loonie

Double-A wrote:
G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Hi oc Flexible reinforce concrete is needed. Most sky scrapers
are made with poured concrete,and sway a lot in a hurricane 165 mph
wind. They don't crack. Reality is cement can be made with lots of
different features to fit the job.Saw a sail boat on lake Toho was made
of continuos concrete. Very smooth looking and can't leak.Owner told me
it was easy and fast to build. Its frame was chicken wire shell. This is
exactly like the stucco homes in Huntington Beach are made,and they
stand up to earthquakes Well oc it is just an idea. I like the burn
away material used in capsule rentry the best. Its been proven it works
every time. Beert

Isn't concrete a little too heavy to be using on aircraft and space
vehicles? I've heard of the Spruce Goose and the Flying Wing, but I've
never heard of the Flying Slab!

Double-A

Didn't they make ships out of concrete at one time ?
... and i am not thinking of the cement overshoe variety.

RL

Old August 8th 05, 02:34 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Raving Loonie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Double-A wrote:
G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
[...]

Yes. Ferro-concrete hulls are quite common. There were problems with many
suffering from corrosion of the reinforcing wires, and at one time,
'homebuilt' boats using this technique, became almost 'uninsurable'.
Remember though that concrete is only strong in compression (hence the
steel wires in the hull), and for a largely tension structure (like a
pressure vessel), is no use at all. Concrete is used in building to
provide the compressive strength, infill, and mass only. The tension is
taken using other materials (commonly steel).

Best Wishes

Old August 8th 05, 02:52 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi RL If you ever make the mistake here in Florida of ever taking the
water out of a gunite concrete swimming pool it will come up out of the
ground and float. Here in Florida asphalt,and cement is every where. I
think that is even truer for NY city. If I knew how long the very high
heat lasted I might come up with better ideas? I did figure out how to
cool a roof with the heat of the Sun,and it has no moving parts. I can
see its physics helping keeping the underbelly of the shuttle cool
Bert