EELV: Competition? No thanks

Old May 3rd 05, 01:36 AM
Jim Kingdon

Default EELV: Competition? No thanks

Looks like the Air Force has decided that it doesn't believe in
competition after all (I'm assuming that the Air Force was consulted
as is planning to say yes, although I assume that their approval is
still needed):

United Launch Alliance will be structured as a 50-50 joint venture
between Boeing and Lockheed Martin -- combining services currently
provided separately by Boeing Integrated Defense Systems' Expendable
Launch Systems division and by Lockheed Martin's Space Systems Company
-- for launches of each company's respective rockets.

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0505/01eelv/

Old May 3rd 05, 03:25 AM
gb

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
Looks like the Air Force has decided that it doesn't believe in
competition after all (I'm assuming that the Air Force was consulted
as is planning to say yes, although I assume that their approval is
still needed):

United Launch Alliance will be structured as a 50-50 joint venture
between Boeing and Lockheed Martin -- combining services currently
provided separately by Boeing Integrated Defense Systems' Expendable
Launch Systems division and by Lockheed Martin's Space Systems Company
-- for launches of each company's respective rockets.

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0505/01eelv/

Interesting.
"Work the companies are performing independently in support of
NASA-sponsored Space Shuttle-Derived Launch Vehicle concepts for future
space exploration initiatives will be excluded from this joint venture."

It is economics catching up with the current situation (slower commercial
satellite market); Boeing's current executive suite problems; Lockheed
attention on absorbing its recent acquisition of the old Rocketdyne
operations from Boeing (now the liquid rocket maker for US) and global
competition in marketplace (sounds like a plug for Thomas Friedman's new
book - The World is Flat! ).

gb

Old May 3rd 05, 06:19 AM
Jim Kingdon

It is economics catching up with the current situation (slower commercial
satellite market)

If so, it isn't clear that this announcement will solve the problem.
They are still planning on keeping both Atlas and Delta flying (so
that they don't have a lengthy standdown in case of problems with one,
at least I think that is what "assured access to space" is mainly
about). So the question is whether unifying the
management/admin/payload side will really save the $100 million that
they think it will. I suppose my opinion is that they will save
something but there also may be costs, as competition is no longer
able to provide another lever on costs.

global competition in marketplace (sounds like a plug for Thomas
Friedman's new book - The World is Flat! ).

There is no global competition for US government contracts, which is
what this is about. If I'm reading the following correctly,
commercial Atlas and Delta flights aren't going to be done through
United Launch Alliance:

Lockheed Martin's International Launch Services
(including Proton) and Boeing Launch Services (including Sea Launch)
are not included in the joint venture. These entities will continue to
sell launch services to non-U.S. government customers.

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0505/01eelv/

Incidentally, I did find an article which clarifies that this deal
does indeed have the (apparent) blessing of the Air Force:

The U.S. Air Force had encouraged the companies last year to team up
on launches.
. . .
Air Force spokeswoman Maj. Karen Finn said the military service --
which oversees launching national security satellites -- looked
forward to the outcome of the regulatory reviews.
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/050502/arms_...eing.html?.v=3

Old May 3rd 05, 06:32 PM
Jeff Findley

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
Looks like the Air Force has decided that it doesn't believe in
competition after all (I'm assuming that the Air Force was consulted
as is planning to say yes, although I assume that their approval is
still needed):

United Launch Alliance will be structured as a 50-50 joint venture
between Boeing and Lockheed Martin -- combining services currently
provided separately by Boeing Integrated Defense Systems' Expendable
Launch Systems division and by Lockheed Martin's Space Systems Company
-- for launches of each company's respective rockets.

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0505/01eelv/

So much for the theory that competition will bring the US government lower
EELV prices.

Jeff

..

Old May 4th 05, 07:45 PM
Derek Lyons

Jim Kingdon wrote:

Incidentally, I did find an article which clarifies that this deal
does indeed have the (apparent) blessing of the Air Force:

The U.S. Air Force had encouraged the companies last year to team up
on launches.

Teaming up is the 'new, new thing' here in the 21st century. It's
usual justification is 'maintaining competition and industrial
capabilities'.

Witness the Virgina class SSN.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Old May 12th 05, 01:14 AM
Tom Cuddihy

and DDX and CVNX and JSF and....you get the idear