ASTRO: Arp 274

Old May 13th 11, 05:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 274

Note: I meant run this one before Arp 177-302 but its text file turned
up lost on the hard drive. I had Arp 177-302 virtually finished and
since a quick search didn't turn up the text file for 274 I ran Arp
177-302 out of sequence. I found the text file on the backup drive at
the safe deposit box so now can run this truly first May 2010 object.

Arp 274/NGC 5679 consists of three galaxies in the constellation of
Virgo. Arp put them in his category of "double galaxies with connected
arms." His note reads: "Perturbation of arm by small galaxy to east."
He is drawing several conclusions here that may not be correct. The
first is the connected arms classification. NED has this to say about
the two main spirals: "Delta V 1000 km/sec; probably an optical pair."
That is they consider the two galaxies redshifts to be too different
for them to be anything more than an optical pair. I'm not sure that
that alone is sufficient but I also see no evidence of interaction
between these two. Putting the two together I have to agree they are
most likely an optical pair. Note too, in the annotated image there are
several galaxies with redshifts that match the center galaxy and several
that match the western member. It appears we really do have two
different galaxy families in the image, the largest of each family
nearly along the same line of sight as seen from earth.

That brings up Arp's note. It is true the eastern end of the middle
galaxy's eastward arm has a sudden kink. This apparently was sufficient
for Arp's conclusion that this is due to perturbation by the small
galaxy off the arm. But this is the only evidence for this conclusion.
In all other M51 type interactions in his Atlas the entire arm is
distorted not just the end. It's hard to explain just a sudden change
like this as caused by an outside gravitational field. The effect
should gradually begin. Maybe as seen in the third dimension it does.
But how you tell this from a 2D image I don't know without further
redshift data on that arm. The other problem is that there is no
distance determination available for the small third galaxy. It too
could be unrelated. It may be related, but, to me, it is far from being
a solid conclusion. The odd fringes of stars off the small one may help
this argument some. However, I'd expect them to show some orientation
toward the main galaxy rather than at right angles if this were the
case. Again, a 3D view might show this is the case. I need far more
evidence before accepting this however.

The low surface brightness galaxy to the southeast of Arp 274 is UGC
09385. The UGC catalog lists it as a dwarf galaxy! It certainly has a
low number of stars but with a diameter of about 55 million light-years
it is not very dwarf-like in size.

Of the galaxies to the southeast of Arp 274 at 330 million light years,
the eastern one seems to have a comet sticking out of its southern end.
NED lists it as a separate galaxy, SDSS J143557.41+051822.4. No
redshift is given. Maybe it has a second arm hidden behind the
foreground galaxy giving this illusion.

There are several galaxies at 800 million light-years scattered across
the image indicating yet another family. This field also contains more
quasars than average. One, in the lower right corner, is listed both as
a galaxy and quasar at 1.9 billion light-years. It's spiral arms are
clearly visible in my image. I'd think a quasar would be so bright as
to drown out the galaxy at my resolution. It must be a very weak quasar.

Along the top of the image toward the left is the asteroid (237813) 2002
CP84 at an estimated magnitude of 18.4. That appears reasonable in this
case.

This is my first May, 2010 image to process. Now into May 2010 images,
I'm still a year behind but not losing ground thanks to sun limiting my
imaging this time of the year. In fact I only have 7 more May images to
process and only 4 in June due to needing several nights for one image
that month due to too little dark time at this latitude. I may unlap
myself yet. Fall and winter were lousy for imaging so I have a chance
yet to reduce this backlog.

Arp's image
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp274.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=6x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP274L6X10RGB2X10X3R.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	3527  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP274L6X10RGB2X10X3R-ID.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	3528  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP274L6X10RGB2X10X3R-CROP150.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	3529  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS-ARP274.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	3530
Old May 15th 11, 07:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I thought I had a reference to an HST image for this but didn't remember
this when rewriting this. Also I screwed up the distances to the two
main galaxies of Arp 274, interchanging their distances. The HST
article indicates that they may not be interacting.
HST article and image
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...09/14/image/a/
A reader pointed out that Wikipedia repeats the HST article but adds a
redshift value for the small eastern galaxy not found at NED. But they
don't document the source. Since I can't confirm the redshift in the
Wiki article I've noted it with a question mark.
Wiki link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_5679_Group

Name:	ARP274L6X10RGB2X10X3R-ID-R.jpg
Views:	170