Interesting Marsha Ivins story on nasa watch:

Old May 31st 07, 01:34 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Jim Oberg

Default Interesting Marsha Ivins story on nasa watch:

Interesting Marsha Ivins story on nasa watch:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20...ards.html#more

Old May 31st 07, 02:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Thu, 31 May 2007 07:34:44 -0500, "Jim Oberg"
wrote:

Interesting Marsha Ivins story on nasa watch:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20...ards.html#more

....I think most of us who heard her sniping and bitching at CAPCOM
during one particular mission several years ago realized that she was,
in fact a [insert word that Mary hates]. Even Michael Grabois dropped
a rather veiled hint that her unprofessional and caustic attitude was
well-known around NASA. This particular quote from that nasawatch page
raises a rather interesting point:

"She gives new definition to the term bitch (again, sorry) and that if
I never saw her again, that would be a good thing. I also asked why
this type of behavior was tolerated and how exactly did Ivins get on
crews if she vehemently hated people so much. They didn't have an
answer for either of those questions"

....From my own experience, what I've found is that the reason bitchy,
snotty and somewhat antisocial women get assignments like this -
regardless of occupation and/or type of business - is that those
making the assignments are far more scared of her wrath if they passed
her over for being a complete and utter bitch than if she screws up
the assignment because she's both unqualified for the job *and*
because she's a bitch and can't get along and/or act as a subordinate
when required. Ergo, it's better to give her enough rope to hang
herself with and hope she manages to live up to her vehement ego
enough to keep from killing everyone, than to risk an emotional
explosion on the ground where the damage control could be catastrophic
unto itself.

....Much of this reluctance to put a bitchy, whiny and snotty employee
in their place comes from the potential for discrimination lawsuits
that could - and probably would - arise if someone like Ivins was
"grounded" because she was behaving the way everyone says she does.
The exchange would probably go like this:

"Marsha, we can't have an astronaut who bitches all the time. There
are professional protocols that have to be followed, and you're not
following them. You're grounded until you take some sort of anger
manage..."

"Bull****! The only reason you're grounding me is that I'm a *woman*.
This is still a 'boys only club' here at NASA, and unless we're sweet
and flirty and dumb bunnies, you'll never let us fit in. **** you, I'm
going to the ACLU and sue the flight suits off of each and every one
of you 'right stuffed' assholes!!"

....In other words, if you can't do your job correctly, and you're
getting reprimanded for it, play the race/sex/minority card.
Especially if race, creed, color, sex, and/or the fact that you admit
to watching "Seinfeld" has AbZero to do with why your job performance
sucks.

....On a side note, what we're hearing about her cullinary skills now
is a complete reversal of what we've heard in the past. No longer is
she "one of the best cake bakers at NASA", we're now hearing
comparisons between her cakes and Ellie Mae Clampett's
break-your-teeth bisquits.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 31st 07, 04:45 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Danny Deger

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
Interesting Marsha Ivins story on nasa watch:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20...ards.html#more

I am not in the least bit surprised. Marsha is rumored to be "close" to
Mike ;-)

Having said that, I will admit she is a hard worker and she is pretty smart.
Not as smart as she thinks she is, but well above average.

Danny Deger

Old May 31st 07, 04:52 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

"Jim Oberg" wrote:

Interesting Marsha Ivins story on nasa watch:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20...ards.html#more

Have these groups sunk so low as to join Nasawatch on the tabloid
rack?

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old May 31st 07, 05:42 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
kT

Derek Lyons wrote:

"Jim Oberg" wrote:

Interesting Marsha Ivins story on nasa watch:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20...ards.html#more

Have these groups sunk so low as to join Nasawatch on the tabloid
rack?

The tabloid rack is a step up from the usenet.

Only an idiot would pay for this ****.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old June 1st 07, 06:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Thu, 31 May 2007 15:52:14 GMT, (Derek Lyons)
wrote:

Have these groups sunk so low as to join Nasawatch on the tabloid
rack?

....The only problem, D, is that unlike, say Bigfoot mating with
Hillary in Wakiki, or the first reports of Paris getting willingly
gangraped in jail, the reports about Ivins appear to be true.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] OMBlog -
Old June 1st 07, 08:55 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Brian Gaff

Its funny, reading the polarising views on her in the piece, I was taken
back to my working life in a UK defence company, and how some people whom I
and some others got along well with were apparently hated by others.
I cannot obviously comment on this lady, but it sounds to me as if she is
one of those folk who does not call a spade a human powered excavation
device, and calls it what it is.

Can be very annoying, but basically honest.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old June 1st 07, 09:28 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Its funny, reading the polarising views on her in the piece,

I thought it very sad to see how NASAWatch stoop to tabloid
journalism. I think it even sadder that the folks on these groups
seem to be lapping it up.

D.

Old June 1st 07, 11:55 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Danny Deger

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Its funny, reading the polarising views on her in the piece,

I thought it very sad to see how NASAWatch stoop to tabloid
journalism. I think it even sadder that the folks on these groups
seem to be lapping it up.

Marsha's tendancy to abuse the people around her is an important story for
NASA and NASA Watch. She is a close personal friend of Mike Griffin and
uses the possition to force her way into the system. I will admit she is
very good technically, but not as good as she thinks she is.

Danny Deger

Old June 2nd 07, 04:40 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
TB[_1_]

"Derek Lyons" wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Its funny, reading the polarising views on her in the piece,

I thought it very sad to see how NASAWatch stoop to tabloid
journalism. I think it even sadder that the folks on these groups
seem to be lapping it up.

I agree. It's stunning a website like that allows people to take
unsubstantiated potshots at someone behind a cloak of anonyminity.
Regardless of whether the woman is simply misunderstood for being forthright
and demanding in her position or she actually is Queen Bitch of the
Universe, for so-called professionals in the industry to use such a forum in
such a gossipy, childish way speaks volumes about themselves as much as
their subject.

T.B.