OT - Just no originality anymore...

Old October 29th 08, 03:18 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_4_]

Default OT - Just no originality anymore...

"OM" wrote in message
I actually
dread this, because I can't see Scotty as a plumber, even if he is a
miracle worker.

History shows- or rather, will show- he knows how to stop up the drains.

Old October 29th 08, 03:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer) wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:14:08 -0500, OM
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:35:36 -0400, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

I'm almost finished reading Watchmen, and if the movie is anything like the
graphic novel, it will be very good.

...Maybe it's just me, but I still find it hard to believe that
there's still a large number of people who haven't read "Watchmen"
because it's a comic book.

I just bought a Jim Butcher "Harry Dresden" book, thinking I was
getting an actual book. What I actually bought was a hard-bound comic
book, much to my surprise. I have the same objection to graphic novel
versions of books I've read as I do to movie or TV versions ditto; the
characters don't look at all like I think they should. However, now
that my personal versions of the characters have been ruined, I'm
thinking of trying to track down DVDs of the TV series.

Mary "I guess I should look into 'Watchmen', too."

You really should. I pull my copy out every couple of years to re-read
it and I always find something I hadn't noticed the previous times. Dave
Gibbons' art pays attention to the tiniest detail and remarkably, most
of those details tie back into the plot at some subsequent point. It's a
very tightly constructed work.
Old October 29th 08, 03:24 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_4_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
lephone...
Then it's a real throwback to the "destroyer" type vessel shown in TOS
tech manual, and sort of conflicts with all the other series and movies
which seemed to imply that you needed twin warp nacelles.

Came across a website that purported to quote from Gene Roddenberry about
the need for balance, and how the nacelles always need to be in LOS.
Technically, having two small drives share a single nacelle solves this
issue,

Old October 29th 08, 03:56 AM posted to sci.space.history
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:15:47 -0500, OM
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 02:50:12 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

I've thought about this...and I think there is a explanation that fits
the ST universe.... Uhura got Silica-Lifeform-Based-Implants at some
point between this movie and TOS.

...Possibly. Either that, or she's got two Tribbles stuck on there as
some sort of symbiosis.

(wonder when Mary's going to pop in and spank us over the direction
this thread's going? :-))

Probably never. I think it's funny mostly.

Mary "Tribbles, indeed"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/
Old October 29th 08, 03:57 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:09:06 -0800, "Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary
Shafer)" wrote:

I have the same objection to graphic novel
versions of books I've read as I do to movie or TV versions ditto; the
characters don't look at all like I think they should.

....On the other hand, sometimes the comic book adaptation can be much
better than the actual movie. Best example to date has been the DC
Comics adaptation of "Star Trek V", in which certain key plot points
that were broken in the movie were fixed - all the early draft
references to Sam Kirk were restored, for example - although they
didn't go the one extra step and add in all the scenes where "god"
revealed its true self that were cut due to budget issues. Had the
movie been as good as the comic, it wouldn't have been 1/10th as
derided.

Mary "I guess I should look into 'Watchmen', too."

....Be warned. Dr. Manhattan runs around most of the GN showing off his
wee-wee.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old October 29th 08, 04:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:02:34 -0800, "Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary
Shafer)" wrote:

The studio gave the original Enterprise control room to UCLA, who
displayed it in the rotunda of Boelter Hall, then the newest building
in the engineering complex and the most peculiarly numbered.

....An old deceased friend of mine went to Yoo-Kla and when they tore
down the bridge finally, he wound up with a piece of Scotty's station.
The sad part is that after he died in 2000 of diabetic complications,
his parents tossed most of his stuff, so our little group of sysops
never did find out what happened to that *or* the dummy prop
communicator he had.

....The ironic part is that after all these years, I've yet to see any
photos of the bridge set as it stood in Boelter Hall online. I haven't
looked lately, but as of early last year I'd found nothing.

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old October 29th 08, 04:02 AM posted to sci.space.history
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:12:39 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

OM wrote:
...The real scary word is that ship's engineering isn't a set, but a
converted section of some industrial plant in California. I actually
dread this, because I can't see Scotty as a plumber, even if he is a
miracle worker.

I always thought the interior of the NX-01 Enterprise off of "ST
Enterprise" looked about the most like you expect a real starship to
look like - cramped and full of equipment, like a nuclear submarine.

The studio gave the original Enterprise control room to UCLA, who
displayed it in the rotunda of Boelter Hall, then the newest building
in the engineering complex and the most peculiarly numbered. I've
since run into weirder numbering schemes in hotels, though. It was
set around the numerical integrator, a mechanical device.

Mary "This was back when I was still a student there"

Old October 29th 08, 04:31 AM posted to sci.space.history
Neil Gerace

On Oct 29, 1:09*pm, "Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)"
wrote:

I have the same objection to graphic novel
versions of books I've read as I do to movie or TV versions ditto; the
characters don't look at all like I think they should.

BBC Radio 4 serials are the most visual of media around, for that
reason.
Old October 29th 08, 07:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

Mary "I guess I should look into 'Watchmen', too."

...Be warned. Dr. Manhattan runs around most of the GN showing off his
wee-wee.

Last time I read a comic book, The X-Men had no one named "Wolverine" as
a member. :-D

Pat