Good luck, Falcon 1

Old August 3rd 08, 04:31 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

Default Good luck, Falcon 1

Even though I can't see the launch, all the very best.

Old August 3rd 08, 04:41 AM posted to sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

"Alan Erskine" wrote in news:UD9lk.25133
:

Even though I can't see the launch, all the very best.

Looks like a launch failure.

There was visible roll oscillation after the first minute, but
during first stage operation. Video went off and SpaceX's
announcers don't have a clue.

We'll have to wait for the failure analysis, but I'm guessing
there was a guidance system problem from the oscillations.

--Damon
Old August 3rd 08, 04:46 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Damon Hill" wrote in message
"Alan Erskine" wrote in news:UD9lk.25133
:

Even though I can't see the launch, all the very best.

Looks like a launch failure.

There was visible roll oscillation after the first minute, but
during first stage operation. Video went off and SpaceX's
announcers don't have a clue.

We'll have to wait for the failure analysis, but I'm guessing
there was a guidance system problem from the oscillations.

--Damon

Damn shame; they've done so much work, they deserve to succeed.

Old August 3rd 08, 04:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:

We'll have to wait for the failure analysis, but I'm guessing
there was a guidance system problem from the oscillations.

--Damon

Damn shame; they've done so much work, they deserve to succeed.

Here's a timeline of what was supposed to happen and when:
http://spaceflightnow.com/falcon/003/timeline.html
When the program got going, Elon Musk said he could afford three failed
launches... this is failed launch #3.
I'll bet they'll live to regret trying the second launch inside of a
hour after the aborted one without looking the vehicle over and trying
again tomorrow.
At this point, I'd be looking a bit askance at Falcon 9. ;-)

Pat
Old August 3rd 08, 05:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

Pat Flannery wrote in news:b9GdnTY-
hdakotatelephone:

Alan Erskine wrote:

We'll have to wait for the failure analysis, but I'm guessing
there was a guidance system problem from the oscillations.

--Damon

Damn shame; they've done so much work, they deserve to succeed.

Here's a timeline of what was supposed to happen and when:
http://spaceflightnow.com/falcon/003/timeline.html
When the program got going, Elon Musk said he could afford three failed
launches... this is failed launch #3.
I'll bet they'll live to regret trying the second launch inside of a
hour after the aborted one without looking the vehicle over and trying
again tomorrow.
At this point, I'd be looking a bit askance at Falcon 9. ;-)

I'd guess the investigation will be looking at the performance of the
new regen version of the Merlin, and at guidance. The roll oscillation
was certainly suspicious but things otherwise looked relatively normal
until the video feed quit.

Possibly the vehicle was off-course, which could have been guidance or
engine malfunction/underperformance. At some point a computer or flight
safety pushes the red button...

--Damon

Old August 3rd 08, 06:01 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Stevenson

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 23:05:20 -0500, Damon Hill
wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote in news:b9GdnTY-
one:

Alan Erskine wrote:

[...]

At about T +4 minutes, you can start to see some oscillation of the
second stage engine bell--it's making small clockwise circles at just
under one rev per second. They didn't seem to get much faster, but
the oscillations certainly got bigger during the remainder of the
flight.

Also, I'm certainly no expert, but at first stage separation, there
seemed to be a lot of yaw in the rocket before the second stage lit.
I don't know if the first stage didn't separate cleanly, or what, but
it just looked odd.

take care,
Scott
Old August 3rd 08, 09:45 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Damon Hill wrote:
I'd guess the investigation will be looking at the performance of the
new regen version of the Merlin, and at guidance. The roll oscillation
was certainly suspicious but things otherwise looked relatively normal
until the video feed quit.

Possibly the vehicle was off-course, which could have been guidance or
engine malfunction/underperformance. At some point a computer or flight
safety pushes the red button...

Two different stories now... Musk said everything was going perfect till
explosive bolts that were supposed to separate the two stages failed to
fire despite a doubly redundant firing system (not Russian explosive
bolts by any chance? ;-) ). People who watched the video say the
vehicle developed oscillations well prior to stage separation.
After the anomaly, all contact with the rocket was lost, so no one knows
exactly where it ended up.
Anyway, the ashes of Scotty and Gordon Cooper now lie in a watery grave,
along with those of 206 other people.
"A space launch vehicle? Ai...and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be
a cart."

Pat
Old August 3rd 08, 04:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Aug 3, 9:45*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
Damon Hill wrote:
[...]

.......................feel as upset now, as I did about 40 years back,when Ranger 6,failed to make a soft landing on the Moon (for younger viewers,R 1 & 2,never left Earth orbit,don't think they were aimed at the Moon anyway and R 3-6 all failed in various ways.)

Watching the vid of the Ist launch attempt,(haven't got to Launch 2
yet,I'm on dial up etc) seems like there was a party going on in the
background...!! Guess they are being just too "gung ho".......Maybe
the mystery investor is Bill Gates,who might "give" 'em a few
Gidzillions .................? Anyway,what a crying
shame.......................

Old August 3rd 08, 05:57 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

Damon Hill wrote:
[...]

If they can't manage to properly incorporate explosive bolts, then
what else is marginal or deficient?

What was the all-inclusive inert GLOW of Falcon?

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth

Good Luck to Minneapolis. KLM[_26_] Amateur Astronomy 1 August 2nd 07 07:02 PM
Good Luck, Elon and Falcon D. Orbitt Policy 61 January 10th 06 06:30 PM
Good luck Huygens Jo UK Astronomy 2 December 25th 04 12:03 PM
Good luck Cassini! OM Policy 15 July 14th 04 06:12 PM
Good luck all Martin Frey UK Astronomy 3 June 8th 04 03:52 PM