Phoenix discussions

Old May 27th 08, 11:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

Default Phoenix discussions

"OM" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 May 2008 21:36:00 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

Why would I do that? I post on-topic; you are the troll and continue to
disrupt this, and every other group you go to.

...You have a point, which is why I decided to give Pat's advice a
chance and let you out of Killfile Hell on probation. So far you've
managed to keep your nose clean, but replying to "jonathan", one of
this group's most pathetic trolls, isn't helping you *or* us any good.

As I've said before, I don't care whether or not I'm in your killfile.
Doesn't bother me one bit either way.

Old May 27th 08, 06:30 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:33:09 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

As I've said before, I don't care whether or not I'm in your killfile.
Doesn't bother me one bit either way.

....Ok, before I toss you back in again, answer me this: why are you
such a dick about arguing with trolls instead of just killfiling them?
*THAT* has been the major problem most of the regulars have had with
you over the years, Alan.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 27th 08, 08:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

news
wrote:

As I've said before, I don't care whether or not I'm in your killfile.
Doesn't bother me one bit either way.

...Ok, before I toss you back in again, answer me this: why are you
such a dick about arguing with trolls instead of just killfiling them?
*THAT* has been the major problem most of the regulars have had with
you over the years, Alan.

Kf-ing a troll doesn't solve the problem. Getting rid of the *******s does.
Ignoring a problem will end up making the problem worse. You also have to
remember that with a troll like Jonathan, he posts to "the 30 most popular
groups" by his own admission; that means you also have to kf the thread and
any thread name-changes - too complex. Better to get rid of the trolls
themselves.

That is done by pointing out to the troll in the thread that the troll is
being a pain-in-the-arse. You also complain to the troll's ISP - very
effective - there's only one troll left on this forum - Jonothan. It also
helps to complain to the ISP's of anyone who responds to the troll
(cross-posting the off-topic thread). I usually, but not always, reduce the
number of groups I post my complaints to, but not always.

Old May 28th 08, 12:48 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"jonathan" wrote in message
. ..
Please, try a moderated ng. There are plenty of open ng's
you could take over. And then you can talk to just yourselves
and feel great again.

No. What we do is get rid of trolls like you who cross-post off-topic
rubbish to "the most popular 30 groups". That's what we do.

Old May 28th 08, 01:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
news
wrote:

As I've said before, I don't care whether or not I'm in your killfile.
Doesn't bother me one bit either way.

...Ok, before I toss you back in again, answer me this: why are you
such a dick about arguing with trolls instead of just killfiling them?
*THAT* has been the major problem most of the regulars have had with
you over the years, Alan.

Kf-ing a troll doesn't solve the problem.

It does when everyone in the group agrees that it isn't worth responding to
the troll. No doubt there are a few people who can read a troll's posting
and never reply. Of course, many of those could be lurkers who don't reply
to *anything*.

Getting rid of the *******s does. Ignoring a problem will end up making
the problem worse. You also have to remember that with a troll like
Jonathan, he posts to "the 30 most popular groups" by his own admission;
that means you also have to kf the thread and any thread name-changes -
too complex. Better to get rid of the trolls themselves.

But there are ways to do this without public replies to trolls.

That is done by pointing out to the troll in the thread that the troll is
being a pain-in-the-arse.

Better to do that in email than in public. If the troll doesn't have a
valid email address, then all the more reason to killfile them since it's
difficult to comkplain to their ISP without a valid email address.

You also complain to the troll's ISP - very effective - there's only one
troll left on this forum - Jonothan. It also helps to complain to the
ISP's of anyone who responds to the troll (cross-posting the off-topic
thread). I usually, but not always, reduce the number of groups I post my
complaints to, but not always.

How about never replying publicly to a troll so people like me don't have to
read troll trash?

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old May 28th 08, 02:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

How about never replying publicly to a troll so people like me don't have
to read troll trash?

But that's the problem, Jeff; regardless of what the people in this forum
do, there'll be people from outside this group who will post - so you have
to kf the thread. That works until someone changes the subject line and you
start all over again. One recent example was the posting about "not Earth,
but another planet" or something. Another poster changed the subject line
to "why do I get the felling this is a troll".

Old May 29th 08, 12:01 AM posted to sci.space.history
jonathan[_3_]

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"jonathan" wrote in message
. ..
Please, try a moderated ng. There are plenty of open ng's
you could take over. And then you can talk to just yourselves
and feel great again.

No. What we do is get rid of trolls like you

And how do you do that? I've been here for 4 or more
years, probably longer than you. I'm one of
long time regs here.

who cross-post off-topic rubbish to "the most popular 30 groups". That's what
we do.

I did that only twice, for the Olympic rants. But the devastating
earthquake in China put an end to those posts for awhile.
Politics is on topic everywhere btw. And if you don't think our
relationship with China effects NASA, space policy or history, you're
not thinking before you speak.

Why do you think we're going back to the Moon, because
the military wants to as part of our missile defense program.
Which is designed to stop up and coming dictatorships like
China, N Korea etc.

But most unhappy people need someone or something to hate.
And I find it reliable that the level of hate is directly
proportional to the amount of personal misery.

So go ahead, call me anything you like, feel free to hate me.
Announce to the world how unhappy you are!
I won't bill you for the service.

Jonathan

Old May 29th 08, 12:14 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"jonathan" wrote in message
. ..

So go ahead, call me anything you like, feel free to hate me.
Announce to the world how unhappy you are!
I won't bill you for the service.

*PLONK*