CCD for Macs

Old December 18th 05, 07:09 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging

Default CCD for Macs

Can anyone reccomend a cheap CCD for use with my cheap f700/60
http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102...78_1001222_.ht
ml and my expensive Mac runnign OSX 10.4.3?
On the other hand - is it possible/usable to use my Canon PowerShot G6
with that telescope?

--
Morten Dreier
http://morten.dreier.no/
Old December 23rd 05, 12:20 AM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging

I assume since you're posting to an astronomy imaging group that you're
interested in imaging astronomical objects. The reason I ask this is because
the telescope you have is inadequate for any sort of imaging, or rather the
mount is. You might be able to take images of the Moon using a web camera or a
similar camera marketed by Celestron (NeXstar Solar System Imager) and Meade
(DSI), but imaging anything else requires a larger, better built, equatorial
mount. If you don't know what this type of mount is, ask in sci.astro.amateur
and we'll pick up that thread there.

The light weight nature of the mount and telescope will make it very difficult
if not impossible to use anything larger than a web camera with any chance of
success, including ordinary cameras and DSLRs.

The two basic problems to solve is mechanical shaking due to the size (lack of
in this case) of the telescope and mount, primarily the mount, and second, the
lack of automatic tracking on this scope.

Another question: have you done a lot of visual observing with this telescope?
This type of scope is often received (as a gift) and used by novices who, or the
people giving it, haven't used a scope before. One must crawl before one can
walk, and learning the sky and operating a telescope are necessary skills before
you can attempt to image things.

Without knowing your financial status or how you got this telescope, I'd
recommend you sell it and research into getting a better (NOT necessarily an
expensive) telescope.

Good Luck !

--- Dave
Pinprick holes in a colorless sky