Environmentalists protested Cassini/Huygens

Old January 16th 05, 01:14 AM
Elijah Baley

Default Environmentalists protested Cassini/Huygens

I find it simply amazing that I can sit in the comfort of my home and
pull of a picture from the surface of Saturn's moon Titan. Unbelievable!

Yet, it almost didn't happen. Back in 1997, when Cassini/Huygens was
launched, environmentalists tried desperately to stop the launch. They
tried every means, politically and legally, to scuttle the probe. Then
they swarmed down to the launch site, waving signs, sputtering that the
probe was a danger to humanity. And all of this because Cassini/Huygens
had a plutonium power source on board.

I guess they want us to return to the good old hunter/gatherer days some
10,000 years ago. Gaia is offended by humanity's presence. Humans are a
cancer on this pristine planet, something to be cut out. This is the
dogma of the environmentalist/marxist movement.
Old January 16th 05, 02:00 AM
Gil

I remember this very well. I was a little suprised by the protests at
the launch, but I probably shouldn't have been. Hell, if they wanted to
protest about environmental damage, they should have complained about
the SRB's and not the potential for plutonium exposure.

Gil

Old January 16th 05, 02:20 AM
Uncle Bob

Gil wrote:
I remember this very well. I was a little suprised by the protests at
the launch, but I probably shouldn't have been. Hell, if they wanted to
protest about environmental damage, they should have complained about
the SRB's and not the potential for plutonium exposure.

Gil

You should have seen the protests after the Rocky Flats fire when a
plutonium cloud drifted across Colorado. Ingrates!

Uncle Bob

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old January 16th 05, 03:34 AM
RichA

On 16 Jan 2005 02:20:27 GMT, Uncle Bob
wrote:

Gil wrote:
I remember this very well. I was a little suprised by the protests at
the launch, but I probably shouldn't have been. Hell, if they wanted to
protest about environmental damage, they should have complained about
the SRB's and not the potential for plutonium exposure.

Gil

You should have seen the protests after the Rocky Flats fire when a
plutonium cloud drifted across Colorado. Ingrates!

Uncle Bob

I love watching anti-nuclear protesters chain-smoking (Martin Sheen)
outside a nuke plant. So how's the dose of radioactive iodine you're
getting, nitwit?
-Rich
Old January 16th 05, 08:55 AM
John Carruthers

I love watching anti-nuclear protesters chain-smoking (Martin Sheen)
outside a nuke plant. So how's the dose of radioactive iodine you're
getting, nitwit?
-Rich

Do these same people enjoy the benefits of smoke alarms ?
jc

--
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jc_atm/

Old January 16th 05, 01:07 PM
Gil

Hey, I wasn't faulting their motive (actually I am a bit of a
tree-hugger myself). I was faulting their selection of "object of
protest".

Old January 16th 05, 05:50 PM
Brian Tung

Gil wrote:
I remember this very well. I was a little suprised by the protests at
the launch, but I probably shouldn't have been. Hell, if they wanted to
protest about environmental damage, they should have complained about
the SRB's and not the potential for plutonium exposure.

In my opinion, the overriding environmental problem is overpopulation.
That feeds just about everything else. Control the population, and
many (though certainly not all) of your problems go away.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old January 16th 05, 08:40 PM
Uncle Bob

Brian Tung wrote:
Gil wrote:

I remember this very well. I was a little suprised by the protests at
the launch, but I probably shouldn't have been. Hell, if they wanted to
protest about environmental damage, they should have complained about
the SRB's and not the potential for plutonium exposure.

In my opinion, the overriding environmental problem is overpopulation.
That feeds just about everything else. Control the population, and
many (though certainly not all) of your problems go away.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt

Yes, but this is a Christian country, and to Christians, all life is
sacred, except for people who **** us off. Now that we have 300 million
americans, parking spaces are getting a little hard to find, but it's
the fault of those illegal aliens crossing the border from Mexico and
Canada.
We all wanna have 3 or 4 kids, even if we're in our 40's. We had to
work so hard to buy our SUV and JetSkis and our $450,000 home that we
never really had time to raise children.
Besides, if we control our population, we won't have enough soldiers for
the armies we'll need to go over and take the things we want from the
people who've ****ed us off.
Get a clue. What are you, some kind of leftist/marxist
planned-parenthood kook? Sheesh.
This is America, where everyone is free to be as self centered as they
want. Go back where you came from, you communist!

Uncle Bob ;-)
Old January 17th 05, 05:22 AM
Hsai Fu

We are in the gripe of extremisms and exploitation on every side.
Moderation doesnt stand a chance.

hsi