Life on Other Plants, An Algorithm?

Old August 10th 04, 03:33 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Life on Other Plants, An Algorithm?

What is the name of the algorithm used to calculate the chances of finding
life on other planets?

BV.

Old August 10th 04, 04:19 PM
John Zinni

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
What is the name of the algorithm used to calculate the chances of finding
life on other planets?

BV.

The Drake equation.

Old August 10th 04, 04:37 PM
Lloyd Jones

So which one is it, Drake or Dice?

LJ

Old August 10th 04, 04:55 PM
John Zinni

"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
So which one is it, Drake or Dice?

LJ

Drake ( 'cause we all know that God does not play dice with the Universe
;-)

Old August 10th 04, 05:49 PM
Algomeysa2

dice, because any equation is nonsense, since there's no known case of life
elsewhere in the universe but Earth. There's no possible way any scientist
could make a meaningful equation to predict the probability of life on
another planet.

. ..

Old August 10th 04, 07:32 PM
John Zinni

"Algomeysa2" wrote in message
hlink.net...
dice, because any equation is nonsense,

Whether the equation is nonsense or not is another question entirely. I
believe BVs original question was about the name of the specific and well
known equation.

.... and the answer is the Drake Equation.

since there's no known case of life
elsewhere in the universe but Earth. There's no possible way any

scientist
could make a meaningful equation to predict the probability of life on
another planet.

. ..

Old August 10th 04, 08:59 PM
Benign Vanilla

"John Zinni" wrote in message
. ..
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
What is the name of the algorithm used to calculate the chances of

finding
life on other planets?

BV.

The Drake equation.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

BV.

Old August 10th 04, 09:00 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Algomeysa2" wrote in message
hlink.net...
dice, because any equation is nonsense, since there's no known case of

life
elsewhere in the universe but Earth. There's no possible way any

scientist
could make a meaningful equation to predict the probability of life on
another planet.

snip

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because
there is an infinite amount of space for them. However, not every one of
them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited
worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes
no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be
said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole
Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time
are merely the products of a deranged imagination.
-Douglas Adams

Old August 11th 04, 12:59 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi BV Best to go with positive thinking and that means our universe has
all the right stuff for life. Best to look for single medium stars like
our sun.(they could be the most common. Earth type planets(liquid water
on surface). BV the universe has so much of these right conditions for
life we need not fantasy other conditions. In our solar system Europa
is the best place to look Bert