Ion Drives

Old June 26th 04, 05:42 PM
David Findlay

Default Ion Drives

Could anyone point me to some technical documentation on Ion Drive systems?
One thing I'm interested to know is why don't the ion's stick the grid they
are attracted towards? Thanks,

David
Old June 27th 04, 04:58 PM
Mike Miller

David Findlay wrote in message ...
Could anyone point me to some technical documentation on Ion Drive systems?
One thing I'm interested to know is why don't the ion's stick the grid they
are attracted towards? Thanks,

For the same reason the ions (well, electrons) in a CRT/TV monitor fly
through the accelerator grids to hit the phosphorus screen on the far
side:

Some charged particles do hit the grid, but most fly through (that's
the point of a grid: it's got holes in it). Because they're already
moving rapidly by the time they reach the grid, they aren't near the
grid long enough to be stopped. They slow a bit, but mostly keep
moving.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
Old June 28th 04, 03:27 AM
quasarstrider

David Findlay wrote in message ...
Could anyone point me to some technical documentation on Ion Drive systems?
One thing I'm interested to know is why don't the ion's stick the grid they
are attracted towards? Thanks,

Because the plasma is neutralized by a cathode ray gun afterwards:
http://www.islandone.org/APC/Electric/06.html