The moon is good medicine

Old January 5th 04, 08:32 PM
Chuck Taylor

Default The moon is good medicine

My wife went back east to visit her parents, so this week was busy, taking
care of her business as well as my own. So Sunday night I was tired. It had
been a long day and as she arrives Monday, I had to finish up several
projects. I was tired and cranky (probably best I was home alone) and spent
a couple of hours in the bathroom, picking out bits and pieces of the old
caulk, putting adhesive under the linoleum (where the installers had done
the worst job I've ever seen) and generally trying to fix a few things. My
back hurt and it was 22 degrees outside and my next chore was in the yard.
After that, all I had left was gathering up the trash for garbage day and
emptying the cat litter.

I stepped out of the bathroom and discovered that the dog had been sick. It
wasn't the first time this week, but it was the most thorough. It
immediately brought to mind the image and wording of B-52 bombers
"carpet-bombing." Coverage was more thorough than anything the Air Force
ever dreamed of.

I was thoroughly disgusted and depressed as I stepped outside. But a glace
up revealed the most beautiful ring around the moon I think I've ever seen.
It was brilliant. I just stood there and soaked it in, almost oblivious to
the freezing temperature. I was shaking from cold by the time I quit looking
and went back inside, but suddenly the night was a lot better.

Now if I could only put it in a time-release pill...

Clear Skies!

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old January 5th 04, 10:33 PM
Martin Frey

"Chuck Taylor" wrote:

Now if I could only put it in a time-release pill...

But did it cure the dog?

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old January 5th 04, 11:11 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:32:03 -0800, "Chuck Taylor"
wrote:

I was thoroughly disgusted and depressed as I stepped outside. But a glace
up revealed the most beautiful ring around the moon I think I've ever seen.
It was brilliant. I just stood there and soaked it in, almost oblivious to
the freezing temperature. I was shaking from cold by the time I quit looking
and went back inside, but suddenly the night was a lot better.

Now if I could only put it in a time-release pill...

It gave me my only astro break for ages last night and that was behind
ever thickening cloud. Managed to grab a brief (and somewhat
distorted at the edges) image of the lunar crater Vieta with my old
10" Orion Optics Europa 250.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.lawrence1/newpics/vieta.jpg

Then, as quickly as it had appeared, it was lost again beneath a veil
of cloud.

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk

Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Space Calendar - February 27, 2004 Ron Astronomy Misc 1 February 27th 04 07:18 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 November 7th 03 08:53 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ v4 Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 1 November 4th 03 11:52 PM