Stripping observatory concrete floor?

Old July 13th 03, 05:36 PM
Thomas

Default Stripping observatory concrete floor?

heat gun...

"Richard DeLuca" wrote in message
news
Hi,
Is there an EASY way of stripping latex paint completely off my concrete
observatory floor? Right now, I'm using Strip-Ease, and that's a real
pain, and will take a couple of days (100 square feet). Then I'll have
to rinse the floor with water and then lightly sandpaper.

Then I'll start over, but this time with something other than latex.
I'm pretty sure I asked for concrete floor paint back then, but it was
ten years ago and I'm not sure. Over the years it has bubbled, peeled,
and has 'sticky' spots. Any suggestions for a good paint for the floor
of a roll-off in the Northeast? Thanks for any help!

Starry Skies,
Rich

Old July 13th 03, 06:01 PM
Chris.B

Richard DeLuca wrote in message ...
Hi,
Is there an EASY way of stripping latex paint completely off my concrete
observatory floor? Right now, I'm using Strip-Ease, and that's a real
pain, and will take a couple of days (100 square feet). Then I'll have
to rinse the floor with water and then lightly sandpaper.

Then I'll start over, but this time with something other than latex.
I'm pretty sure I asked for concrete floor paint back then, but it was
ten years ago and I'm not sure. Over the years it has bubbled, peeled,
and has 'sticky' spots. Any suggestions for a good paint for the floor
of a roll-off in the Northeast? Thanks for any help!

Starry Skies,
Rich

Lateral thinking: Cork or ceramic tiles or (clip together) parquet
flooring? Floating floor of T&G plywood or chipboard (particle board)
would be cheaper. All except the ceramic would be warmer and more
comfortable underfoot but prone to moisture. How about AstroTurf? How
about carpet?
You like cement/ concrete? Self levelling compound on top of what
you've got.

Chris.B
Old July 13th 03, 06:10 PM
D Smallen

Cathy wrote in message ...
The stain I mention is a *solid* color latex stain. Its thin, yet
creamy and covers quite nicely with a roller. Ive used it over latex
paint on wood railings and I have stained already treated and painted
decks, already painted concrete patios. It holds up quite well to foot
traffic.

The first treatment at my home was over older, never done anything to
it, concrete. I had a small problem on the porch where water stands, as
the original application of the stain bubbled up and started peeling.
A quick blast with the power washer to remove the flaking latex stain
and I was able to stain right over it... and it holds up, for a year or
two, but, I am always going to have the problem of standing water there
and this problem will repeat itself. Oh well, another spring chore!

Richard DeLuca wrote:

Cathy,

I'm not clear on what a stain looks like, and whether I can use it on
previously painted concrete. Did you put it on a previously painted
surface (after stripping) or was this the first treatment on new
concrete?

,,,,,,,,,Rich

I work Commerical Const. after you strip the floor use one part
muratic acid,three parts water to "etch" the floor, before applying
epoxy floor paint or stain. We always etch new or old concrete. The
stain will be uneven if the floor isn't uniformly clean. I recommend
the epoxy floor paint. The epoxy is very violate to breath, but it's
the most durable to wear.
DL Smallen
Old July 13th 03, 08:39 PM
Joe S.

Three thoughts.

1. Why paint the floor? There are concrete sealers, similar to the masonry
sealers used to seal masonry joints after tuck-pointing. As I understand
it, this is the floor on a roll-off. Thus, the floor is covered and is not
exposed to the weather -- unless you are in the habit of rolling the cover
off during a rainstorm -- which is not healthy for the scope. :-) So, why
paint the floor at all? What's wrong with a nice concrete floor?

2. If you need to paint it, look into an epoxy products; as I recall, they
come in a few stock colors and can be tinted. Most popular use for these
epoxy paints is on the concrete block walls inside schools where they
provide a durable surface that washes off readily. Pay attention to the
instructions when you apply the epoxy-based coating -- because you are
applying only to a small floor, not to 30,000 square feet of vertical
surface, should go on easily.

3. I'll bet you put the current coating on when the concrete was new. New
concrete is subject to "efflorescence" that goes on for some time -- months
to years after finishing. Efflorescence is the chemical process of moisture
seeping through the concrete, leaching out the alkaline salts in the
concrete, and floating those salts to the surface where they form a fine
coating. Take a look at a sheltered concrete wall -- basement walls are
good places for this -- that was poured a few months ago -- see the patches
of white stuff? Wipe your hand over it then slightly moisten your hand. It
burns. Because this is a strong alkali that has leached out of the
concrete. And it is death on paint. Back when I was painting part-time, I
would get a call from a homeowner whose new home had poured concrete
basement walls. First thing he did upon moving in was paint the walls.
Now, 12 months later, the paint is stripping off. The only thing to do was
strip it -- various commercial strippers take it off -- scrub the wall, tell
the homeowner about efflorescence, and tell him to leave the wall alone for
another 12 months until the chemistry of the concrete has settled down.

Because your concrete is old, you should not have this problem.

Before you apply the new paint, the concrete MUST BE BONE DRY AND CLEAN. Do
whatever you can do to dry it -- may want to leave the door open, set up a
big fan at the end opposite the door, and let it run for a few days to dry
it.

Finally, go to a REAL PAINT STORE -- one where the professional painters in
your area shop. Talk to them. You may also want to browse the web for
"painting concrete," "concrete paint," or similar phrases.

Just a few thoughts.

--

----

Old July 13th 03, 08:56 PM
Joe S.

Check it out:

http://www.amerimexpaints.com/html/concrete_floors.html

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...e/painting.htm

http://www.vogelpaint.com/PaintingConcrete.html Read the section on new
coating -- they recommend a specific type of epoxy coating. In their
section on stripping the old paint, they mention "abrasive removal"
SANDBLASTING the old paint off -- is that an option for you?

You could rent a sandblaster and abrasive.

--

----