Should I trade my Tasco for a Bushnell?

Old July 12th 03, 09:10 PM
Nigel Reed

Default Should I trade my Tasco for a Bushnell?

After some advice here.

I have a Tasco 114mm telescope that I got for $75. It does the job.

I have the opportunity to pick up a Bushnell Model 78-4500. This is a
4.5inch Dobs.

The question is, is it worth it? Will I get better performance from the
Bushnell or am I going from worse to worse (or not much better) ?

Right now I'm saving up for something along the lines of a 9 or 11
inch but that'll be a few years away.

Regards
Nigel

--
Visit my favourite websites!
http://www.british-expats.com (My spare time)

Old July 13th 03, 07:40 PM
Nigel Reed

Sydney Guy wrote:
If your Tasco is the f/8 900mm fl model, then it's probably the same
OTA as the Bushnell out of the same factory in China, which seems to
be badge-engineered by a lot of companies including Meade & Orion. I
recently bought a surplus Meade 114mm (4.5") mirror set, and the
primary & secondary mirror cells look identical to the photos in S&T
of those from the Orion 4.5" dob.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. By the sounds of it, I might as
well hold on to the Tasco for now.

Regards
Nigel