Reprints of Classic Early Space Fiction

Old July 20th 06, 10:06 AM posted to sci.space.history
Chuck Stewart

Default Reprints of Classic Early Space Fiction

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:03:46 -0700, Ron Miller wrote:

Chuck Stewart wrote:

Ah... but are the images available in the
electronic format as well? I can't read printed
text anymore, but I can magnify it onscreen and
using that same magnification I can magnify and
piece together images...

No---I'm afraid that the artwork is not included in the Gutenberg nor
any other electronic text that I know of.

Including yours?

Rats!

May I ask if the reasons are economic,
technical, or philosophical?

Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"
Old July 20th 06, 11:51 AM posted to sci.space.history
Ron Miller

Pat Flannery wrote:

Wells' said he based a lot of his story on Rutherford's "The Power Of
Radium"; I wonder if this author read the same work and they are both
doing different takes of what a atomic bomb would be like.

Pat

Train's co-author, Robert Williams Wood, professor of experimental
physics at Johns Hopkins University (and a member of the National
Academy of Science and the Royal Society), was one of the great
research scientists of the twentieth century. I suspect that he had
more sources for his speculations regarding the applications of nuclear
energy than just Rutherford's book.

Old July 20th 06, 11:54 AM posted to sci.space.history
Ron Miller

Chuck Stewart wrote:

So in the "prescience sweepstakes" Train and
Wood come out way ahead... but, as it has
been often noted before, few good writers
deliberately try to *win* that game. They
just try to write a good story with
sufficient accuracy to satisfy needs. And it
sometimes happens that they hit close to the
mark.

As I mentioned in another post this morning, co-author Wood was
actually one of the twentieth century's pre-eminent physicists, so had
something of a head start on Wells when it came to speculation about
atomic energy.

Old July 20th 06, 11:59 AM posted to sci.space.history
Ron Miller

Chuck Stewart wrote:

No---I'm afraid that the artwork is not included in the Gutenberg nor
any other electronic text that I know of.

Including yours?

Rats!

May I ask if the reasons are economic,
technical, or philosophical?

I don't have an electronic text of Mysterious Island available.

It's conceivable that I could excerpt the text from the book's layout
and make an etext out of it, but I'm not too confident on what would
happen to the formating.

The reason that Gutenberg and the other ebook providers don't include
illustrations is technical, I believe---for much the same reason that
special characters (such as italics, foreign characters, etc.) and
diacritical marks are missing.

Old July 20th 06, 12:24 PM posted to sci.space.history
Chuck Stewart

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 03:59:39 -0700, Ron Miller wrote:

Errrr... serious errors in perception
occuring here... meteor drifts to port...
a black sun to starboard... watch out for
those space geysers ahead!

I don't have an electronic text of Mysterious Island

Ron, I'm speaking of your edition of "Off
on a Comet" You referred to illos:

" By the way, the Black Cat edition of "Off On A Comet" includes
considerable material---including one full chapter!---not included in
the Gutenberg etext (as well as something like 100 illustrations)."

I can never read your printed version
without going to efforts that just
seem to be too much for me nowadays.

My queries concdern your ebook of that
novel. Are versions of those illos
included in the .pdf? Thus my various
questions.

I hope I'm not hassling you too much
over this

Old July 20th 06, 12:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
Ron Miller

Chuck Stewart wrote:
I can't read printed
text anymore, but I can magnify it onscreen and
using that same magnification I can magnify and
piece together images...

I've made the pdf file of Off On A Comet available as a download. This
should enable you to use your pdf reader (Acrobat or whatever) to zoom
in on the pages as much as you like when you read them. All of the
book's formatting, including the illustrations, should be maintained so
it will look just like the print version.

You can get it by clicking on the book cover and choosing the download
version.

Old July 20th 06, 01:00 PM posted to sci.space.history
Chuck Stewart

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 04:41:47 -0700, Ron Miller wrote:

I've made the pdf file of Off On A Comet available as a download. This
should enable you to use your pdf reader (Acrobat or whatever) to zoom
in on the pages as much as you like when you read them. All of the
book's formatting, including the illustrations, should be maintained so
it will look just like the print version.

You can get it by clicking on the book cover and choosing the download
version.

Thank you very much, Ron.

(The zapkitty takes his credit card over
to LuLu.com to see if he can give it as
much of a workout there as he does over
at Baen's...

Old July 20th 06, 01:28 PM posted to sci.space.history
Ron Miller

Chuck Stewart wrote:

My queries concdern your ebook of that
novel. Are versions of those illos
included in the .pdf? Thus my various
questions.

Hopefully my most recent post answered this question! I normally don't
make these books available as ebooks, mostly for aesthetic reasons, but
I made an exception in this case for you. And, yes, other than the fact
that the book is not on paper, it is identical to the print version,
illustrations and all (at least it is supposed to be!).

Old July 20th 06, 01:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
Ron Miller

Chuck Stewart wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 04:41:47 -0700, Ron Miller wrote:

I've made the pdf file of Off On A Comet available as a download. This
should enable you to use your pdf reader (Acrobat or whatever) to zoom
in on the pages as much as you like when you read them. All of the
book's formatting, including the illustrations, should be maintained so
it will look just like the print version.

You can get it by clicking on the book cover and choosing the download
version.

Thank you very much, Ron.

(The zapkitty takes his credit card over
to LuLu.com to see if he can give it as
much of a workout there as he does over
at Baen's...

If you are interested in having any of the other titles available as
pdf ebooks, let me know.

Old July 20th 06, 02:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
Ron Miller

I've made about half a dozen of the space books available as downloads.
I wasn't able to do them all since some may be included in a
co-publishing arrangement with Apogee Books, who will be publishing
smaller, mass-market paperbacks of a number of the titles.

Early NASA PDFs Rusty History 48 June 13th 06 05:51 AM
NOMINATION: digest, volume 2453397 Ross Astronomy Misc 233 October 23rd 05 04:24 AM
Show some netiquette Saul Levy Misc 18 September 11th 05 10:52 AM
Show some netiquette Rising Loonie Astronomy Misc 17 September 11th 05 10:52 AM
VOTE! Usenet Kook Awards, March 2005 [email protected] Astronomy Misc 108 May 16th 05 02:55 AM