News: Nigeria plans to launch first satellite in 2018 - Train astronauts by 2015

Old May 15th 06, 08:47 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default News: Nigeria plans to launch first satellite in 2018 - Train astronauts by 2015

Nigeria to Launch Locally Made Satellite, 2018

http://allafrica.com/stories/200605110077.html

Daily Champion (Lagos)
May 11, 2006
Posted to the web May 11, 2006

Lagos

FEDERAL Government yesterday set in motion plans to launch the first
made-in-Nigeria satellite by 2018. Ahead of this plan, the country also
expects to produce its first astronauts nine years from now.

The development was one of the decisions taken at the Weekly Federal
Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over by President Olusegun
Obasanjo/with Vice President, Atiku Abubaker in Attendance.

Minister of Water Resources, Alhaji Mukhtar Shagari, briefed newsmen
after the FEC meeting.

The minister disclosed that the Federal Government has also approved
about N1.83 billion for the supply of communications and military
equipment to the 103 Battalion of the Nigerian Army.

Speaking on the contracts awarded for the Nigerian Army, the minister,
stated that "there was also memo for the procurement of radio equipment
for the Nigerian Army awarded at a cost of N623.6 million.

According to the Minister, "The other contract also is for the
procurement of logistics items for 103 battalion of the Nigerian Army
inducted for the United Nations (UN) Mission in Sudan. All of you know
the role that Nigeria is playing as far as peace-keeping mission is
concerned in the African continent, particularly now in the Sudan where
the contribution of Nigeria and the Nigerian Army is applauded and
appreciated by everybody.

"So when we sent our army to this kind of thing, it is our
responsibility and duty to make sure that they have all the equipment
that they require to make us proud. The cost of this contract is for
the supply of ammunition (N778 million), communication equipment
(N174.9 million ), 10 4 by 4 jeeps (N70.6 million), 4 truck tankers
(N50 million) and 2 bulldozers (N130 million)", he added

The Minister of Science and Technology, Prof Turner Isoun on his part,
noted that "the 25-year plan has the objective that we should be able
to produce a Nigerian astronaut by 2015. We should be able to launch a
satellite manufactured in Nigeria by 2018, and we should be able to
launch a satellite manufactured and made in Nigeria and launched within
the territory of Nigeria. Please note that no country has been able to
do these things automatically".

He added that "it is expected that in 25 years, Nigeria would have
developed the capacity to manufacture, launch a satellite, develop
communication software and sell band waves".

Another major highlight of the weekly Federal Executive Council is the
directive given by the President that the Petroleum Development Tax
Fund (PDTF) provides fund worth N2.50 billion for the supply of science
and technological training, learning equipment and laboratory equipment
to 102 unity federal schools and 6 federal polytechnics, one each from
the six geo-political zones of the country.

The Minister of Water Resources, Mukhtar Shagari who coordinated the
weekly FEC briefing alongside the Ministers of Scince and Technology,
Turner Isoun; Education, Chinwe Nora Obaji and Minister of State for
Health, Halima Tayo Alao, also stated that approval has been given for
the establishment of units and desks in all tiers of Government towards
ensuring that the National Policy on Integrated Disease Surveillance
and Response in Nigeria becomes a reality.

Old May 17th 06, 12:25 AM posted to sci.space.history

"Rusty" wrote in news:1147722462.986130.23120
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Nigeria to Launch Locally Made Satellite, 2018

http://allafrica.com/stories/200605110077.html

Daily Champion (Lagos)
May 11, 2006
Posted to the web May 11, 2006

Lagos

FEDERAL Government yesterday set in motion plans to launch the first
made-in-Nigeria satellite by 2018. Ahead of this plan, the country also
expects to produce its first astronauts nine years from now.

I confess I kept reading for the punchline, and was disappointed when it
never arrived.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old May 17th 06, 12:54 AM posted to sci.space.history

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in news:1147722462.986130.23120
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Nigeria to Launch Locally Made Satellite, 2018

http://allafrica.com/stories/200605110077.html

Daily Champion (Lagos)
May 11, 2006
Posted to the web May 11, 2006

Lagos

FEDERAL Government yesterday set in motion plans to launch the first
made-in-Nigeria satellite by 2018. Ahead of this plan, the country also
expects to produce its first astronauts nine years from now.

I confess I kept reading for the punchline, and was disappointed when it
never arrived.

The punchline is, it will be an e-mail relay satellite.

;-)

Rusty

Old May 17th 06, 01:33 AM posted to sci.space.history

"Rusty" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in news:1147722462.986130.23120
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Nigeria to Launch Locally Made Satellite, 2018

http://allafrica.com/stories/200605110077.html

Daily Champion (Lagos)
May 11, 2006
Posted to the web May 11, 2006

Lagos

FEDERAL Government yesterday set in motion plans to launch the first
made-in-Nigeria satellite by 2018. Ahead of this plan, the country

also
expects to produce its first astronauts nine years from now.

I confess I kept reading for the punchline, and was disappointed when it
never arrived.

The punchline is, it will be an e-mail relay satellite.

Oh, actually I heard taht this was how they were shipping my 10% of millions
I helped to transfer out fo the country for the late Osbago deLarma who
unfortunately was killed in a car crash.

;-)

Rusty

Old May 17th 06, 07:47 AM posted to sci.space.history

On or about Tue, 16 May 2006 18:25:36 -0500, Jorge R. Frank made the sensational claim that:
I confess I kept reading for the punchline, and was disappointed when it
never arrived.

They overran their budget just issuing the press release. Damn shame too, I
heard the film strip was gonna be great.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't