Whats the best way to display a shuttle at KSC?

Old May 22nd 04, 12:55 PM
bob haller

Default Whats the best way to display a shuttle at KSC?

Once they are retired whats the best way to display one at KSC?

What I DONT want to see is a proud vehicle being exposed to the elements, and
becoming a home for birds.

I was thinking upright on one of the pads, with the entire pad enclosed in
glass somehow. For the pad rats how practical would that be? Having elevators
shuttle visitors upstairs to take a look inside.

No matter what their retirement day is coming, so this discussion will come up
again.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old May 23rd 04, 05:54 PM
Rusty Barton

On 22 May 2004 11:55:52 GMT, (bob haller) wrote:

Once they are retired whats the best way to display one

Cut them up into little pieces, glue to 3x5 cards and sell on Ebay.
;-)

- Rusty Barton

Old May 23rd 04, 10:32 PM
adam bootle

How about actually making something that can take off from a runway, and
turning the entire VAB into a museum with a shuttle stack in one aisle and
the KSC restored to vertical in the other !

Adam

Old May 23rd 04, 10:36 PM
adam bootle

Ooops ! for "the KSC" read "the KSC Saturn V"

Too much sun today........Adam

Old May 23rd 04, 11:08 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-05-22, bob haller wrote:

I was thinking upright on one of the pads, with the entire pad enclosed in
glass somehow. For the pad rats how practical would that be? Having elevators
shuttle visitors upstairs to take a look inside.

IANA padrat. OTOH, I've heard of hurricanes.

Spot the potential, um, interesting problem for a third-year civil
engineering class, if nothing else...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old May 24th 04, 12:40 AM
MasterShrink

How about actually making something that can take off from a runway, and
turning the entire VAB into a museum with a shuttle stack in one aisle and
the KSC restored to vertical in the other !

Assuming all three orbiters survive until 2010 one will certainly be bound for
the Smithsonian, and probably be displayed at the exhibit at Dulles. Probably
the most flown, Discovery (a year ago I would have predicted Columbia would end
up here and displayed alongside her would be the HST). I do think a payload
should be displayed with the orbiter.

If the VAB is shut down following the end of STS I like the idea of having a
shuttle stack up in one of the VAB high bays. And in the other bay, a Saturn V.
This should be a nice display for Atlantis or Endeavour.

The third orbiter I think should be sent out to either around Edwards or
Palmdale. I'd say the JSC next to the Saturn V but don't see that as being good
for the vehicle in the long run.

I suppose if all else fails another orbiter could always be put displayed in
one of the OPF's.

-A.L.
Old May 24th 04, 04:01 AM
MasterShrink

Assuming all three orbiters survive until 2010 one will certainly be
bound for the Smithsonian, and probably be displayed at the exhibit at
Dulles.

Dulles already has Enterprise.

Enterprise ain't an orbiter that's been in space.

Freedom 7 was also first delivered the the Smithsonian after its flight, but
now the primary Mercury display is Friendship 7.

The institution also has two flwon Gemini spacecraft (Gemini 4 and 7) and two
flown Apollo CSM's (Apollo 11 and Skylab 4) and an unflown CSM boilerplate for
the ASTP display.

They could well end up with two orbiters I guess, one a test article and the
other a space-worthy one.

-A.L.
Old May 24th 04, 05:56 AM
OM

On 24 May 2004 03:56:44 GMT, "Jorge R. Frank"
wrote:

My assessment: no way will the Smithsonian get two orbiters at the expense
of JSC, KSC, or MSFC *not* getting one. And with only four orbiters to
spread around, that means no way, period.

....And again, do the math. Four sites, four flight articles. Duh.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr