Name This Person

Old May 7th 04, 04:11 AM
Stuf4

From Henry Spencer:
In article ,
Rusty B wrote:
After the war George C. Marshall won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Not, mind you, for his actions during the war...

....nor for his actions as president of the American Red Cross, though
I expect that it all weighed in the balance to one extent or another.

~ CT
Old May 7th 04, 11:56 AM
Stuf4

From Rusty Barton:
snip
After the war George C. Marshall won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Here's his bio from the Nobel website:
http://www.nobel.se/peace/laureates/...shall-bio.html

Curiously, there's no mention about his involvement with weapons of
mass destruction (from either WWI or WWII). Assuming that the Nobel
people are aware of Marshall's background, we might conclude that they
don't want to promote the popular notion (popular in the USA at least)
that Marshall's nuclear bombs were used to save lives.

CORRECTION:

Upon closer reading, I see that the Nobel bio *does* mention a
fraction of his involvement with WMDs:

"From 1941 he was a member of the policy committee that supervised the
atomic studies engaged in by American and British scientists."

~ CT
Old May 10th 04, 06:05 AM
Stuf4

From IDAK:
I ordered the killing of many thousands of civilians, directed the use
of weapons of mass destruction and later was awarded the Nobel Peace
Prize.

Who am I?

(Hint: not Muslim.)

Arafat

Again with Yasser, I'm not aware of specifics that apply to all
points.

But an aspect common to both Marshall's award and Arafat's award is
that they were protested against. Here's an excerpt from the Nobel
e-Museum:
(From http://www.nobel.se/peace/laureates/...cceptance.html)

On 10 December in the university Aula, just as Marshall was
accepting the prize from Dr. Hambro, vice-chairman of the
committee, some communist journalists interrupted the
ceremony, dropping leaflets from the balcony and shouting,
"We protest!"

And here are selections from Marshall's Nobel Lectu
(From http://www.nobel.se/peace/laureates/...l-lecture.html)

"There has been considerable comment over the awarding of the Nobel
Peace Prize to a soldier. I am afraid this does not seem as
remarkable to me as it quite evidently appears to others."

"A very strong military posture is vitally necessary today."

"The guarantee for a long continued peace will depend on other factors
in addition to a moderated military strength, and no less important."

"Agreements to secure a balance of power, however disagreeable they
may seem, must likewise be considered."

"I...point to the rapid disintegration between 1945 and 1950 of our
once vast power for maintaining the peace. As a direct consequence, in
my opinion, there resulted the brutal invasion of South Korea, which
for a time threatened the complete defeat of our hastily arranged
forces in that field. ... it suddenly became my duty, my
responsibility, to rebuild our national military strength in the very
face of the gravest emergencies. These opening remarks may lead you
to assume that my suggestions for the advancement of world peace will
rest largely on military strength. For the moment the maintenance of
peace in the present hazardous world situation does depend in very
large measure on military power, together with Allied cohesion."

Marshall provides a curious contrast to Nobel laureates such as Mother
Teresa or the Dalai Lama.

~ CT