Neil deGrasse Tyson: America Will 'Sink Lower' Before Congress ActsOn Climate Change

Old July 24th 14, 06:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

Default Neil deGrasse Tyson: America Will 'Sink Lower' Before Congress ActsOn Climate Change

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson predicted during an interview with Salon published Wednesday that climate change will have to "get very bad" before Congress feels threatened enough to advance meaningful environmental legislation.

"In my read of history, when things get very bad, people tend to come into agreement about what next steps they need to take and there's less arguing," Tyson said, citing the United States' reluctance to invest in space exploration programs until the Soviet launch of Sputnik in 1957.

"So I think maybe we have to sink lower before the pistons of Congress and the electorate align to take meaningful action, to protect the planet going forward," Tyson continued.

Expressing concern over some policymakers' "misinformed, or-under-informed" scientific views, the outspoken critic of climate-change denial maintained that his chief role in the science community is to educate the public on the "emergent scientific consensus." He said climate scientists should take a more vocal role as well.

"I'm just trying to get people as fully informed as they can be so that they can make the most informed decisions they can based on their own principles or philosophies or mission statement," the "Cosmos" host told Salon. "What concerns me is that I see people making decisions, particularly decisions that might affect policy or governance, that are partly informed, or misinformed, or under-informed."

In June, Tyson also criticized wealthier citizens for turning a blind eye to the threat of climate change, warning that even the affluent will soon be forced to address the issue out of basic economic necessity.

"If they start to lose their wealth, they change their minds real fast, particularly in a capitalist culture," Tyson warned during an interview last month on MSNBC's "All In With Chris Hayes." "Don't expect to conduct civilizations the way we now do, because all the coastlines will get redrawn."
Old July 24th 14, 06:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:24:03 AM UTC-7, Uncarollo2 wrote:
[...]

He's right. Global warming has to go absolutely postal on us, and the USA has to tank before making and off-world move. Of course by then it'll be way too late to do any good for the next ten generations, unless future proxy wars and WW3 resolves issues.
Old July 24th 14, 07:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert[_3_]

In Uncarollo2
wrote:

"So I think maybe we have to sink lower before the pistons of Congress
and the electorate align to take meaningful action, to protect the
planet going forward," Tyson continued.

Meaningful action to protect the planet?

Presumably, this involves forcing China, India and friends to shut down.

What sort of "action" does he propose?

--
St. Paul, MN
Old July 24th 14, 08:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:03:04 PM UTC-5, Bert wrote:
In Uncarollo2

"So I think maybe we have to sink lower before the pistons of Congress

and the electorate align to take meaningful action, to protect the

planet going forward," Tyson continued.

Meaningful action to protect the planet?

Presumably, this involves forcing China, India and friends to shut down.

What sort of "action" does he propose?

--

St. Paul, MN

What do you propose, Bert?
Old July 24th 14, 08:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thomas Womack

In article ,
Uncarollo2 wrote:
What do you propose, Bert?

Substantial bribes to everyone contemplating building fossil-fired
power stations to have them build nuclear ones instead (say, have the
US taxpayer pay the difference in build cost and commit to clearing up
any ecological damage and taking away the plant after decommissioning)
would be a pretty good start, and cost no more than the defence budget.

Tom
Old July 24th 14, 08:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:03:04 AM UTC-7, Bert wrote:
In Uncarollo2

wrote:

"So I think maybe we have to sink lower before the pistons of Congress

and the electorate align to take meaningful action, to protect the

planet going forward," Tyson continued.

Meaningful action to protect the planet?

Presumably, this involves forcing China, India and friends to shut down.

What sort of "action" does he propose?

--

St. Paul, MN

The energy and other resources being mass consumed by the average American is at least tenfold greater than those individuals of China or India.

If any nation deserves to be shutdown, it's the US and a few others that show little or no regard whatsoever for the global environment nor that of its frail biodiversity. Our imperialist expansionism has shown damn little if any remorse whatsoever.

Old July 24th 14, 08:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Marten Kemp

On 7/24/2014 3:27 PM, Thomas Womack wrote:
In article ,
Uncarollo2 wrote:
What do you propose, Bert?

Substantial bribes to everyone contemplating building fossil-fired
power stations to have them build nuclear ones instead (say, have the
US taxpayer pay the difference in build cost and commit to clearing up
any ecological damage and taking away the plant after decommissioning)
would be a pretty good start, and cost no more than the defence budget.

Actually, telling the NIMBYs and BANANAs to STFU would do that instead.

--
-- Marten Kemp (Fix ISP to reply)
Old July 24th 14, 09:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:24:03 PM UTC+1, Uncarollo2 wrote:
Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson predicted during an interview with Salon published Wednesday that climate change will have to "get very bad" before Congress feels threatened enough to advance meaningful environmental legislation.

Ah,'predictions' Rolando or in Christian circles the gift of prophecy which determines the likelihood that if a person or society carries on in such and such a manner then the outcome is this or that.

"Prophets in the modern sense of the word have never existed Jonah was no prophet in the modern sense for his prophecy of Nineveh failed Every honest man is a Prophet he utters his opinion both of private & public matters,Thus,If you go on So,the result is So. He never says such a thing shall happen let you do what you will. a Prophet is a Seer not an Arbitrary Dictator. It is mans fault if God is not able to do him good. for he gives to the just & to the unjust but the unjust reject his gift" William Blake

The allure of predictions/prophecy is that it invests the person making the prediction with an air of authority however such an authority acts out of experience and not conjecture. Weather people can make good predictions based on experience or extend it on to events such as hurricane season when the motions of the Earth and the Earth's position in space determine Ocean temperatures conducive to hurricane formation among many,many other inputs.

These impostors with their 'predictive' method borrowed from the elements of the RA/Dec system extended their folly from astronomy to all terrestrial sciences as 'laws' making them merchants of doom and not practical people. The same people couldn't manage to correlate all the effects within a 24 hour day with one rotation of the planet and they would have the world believe that humans can control planetary temperatures like a household thermostat.

The reason this debacle occurred is due to lack of astronomers for the answer will never be that the Earth is warming or cooling,for that will always happen, but who can raise the astronomical standards above a celestial sphere cult(ure).
Old July 24th 14, 09:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:02:32 PM UTC-5, oriel36 wrote:

The reason this debacle occurred is due to lack of astronomers for the answer will never be that the Earth is warming or cooling,for that will always happen, but who can raise the astronomical standards above a celestial sphere cult(ure).

Actually the world WAS very much warmer at some geologic period a long time ago, so warm in fact that the only living things were microbes. There were no mammals (humans included), and the atmosphere had a huge amount of CO2. This facilitated the growth of vast forests, which lived and died and built up a huge reservoir of carbon, in the form of coal, that we exploit today.. Sort of a gift from eons ago, but a double edged sword. If we burn it all, we will simply recreate those conditions that were hostile to life back then.

It is interesting to me that only about 100 years ago we did not have the means to fly people around the globe, but since then we have actually flown people to the Moon. Such progress in only one or two generations. And yet we still rely our daily existence on a hope and a prayer that things will go swimmingly for each of us and the human race. No worries, eh? What me?

Old July 24th 14, 09:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:15:02 PM UTC-7, Uncarollo2 wrote:
[...]

The upper .1% caste never has anything to worry about, because it's only the lower 99.9% caste that's getting screwed.