11th Boeing-Built UHF Naval Satellite Arrives in Florida for December Launch

Old November 22nd 03, 04:35 PM
Andrew Gray

Default 11th Boeing-Built UHF Naval Satellite Arrives in Florida for December Launch

In article , George William Herbert wrote:

The city in which the hills actually are located is named,
aptly enough:

Los Altos Hills

My personal favourite form of this, although through a slightly simpler
derivation, is the wonderfully named Torpenhow Hill in Cumbria - or,
translated, "Hill Hill Hill Hill".

--
-Andrew Gray

Old November 22nd 03, 09:37 PM
Allen Thomson

Mary Shafer wrote

When they named Manteca, the word meant "butter". Word meanings shift
and now it's "lard".

When we moved to Harlingen, I was slightly staggered to see the 25 lb.
buckets of manteca(*) on sale in the local supermarket.

(*) I think it's actually some hydrogenated oil, like Crisco, though
I've never read the label. Bletch. Real pig fat(**) has significant
virtues as a condiment that make up for the satfat hit when used in
moderation.

(**) Particularly cicharron and carnita drippin's.

Space.history: Have any of the STS or ISS missions been supplied with
chicharrones?
Old November 22nd 03, 11:51 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message
Mary Shafer wrote:
When they named Manteca, the word meant "butter". Word meanings shift
and now it's "lard". Oh, well. Calabasas is "pumpkin" and Las Pulgas
is "The Fleas". Vacaville is "Cowtown".

One otherwise-forgettable movie took place partly in a subdivision named
"Vista del Nada".

Around here there's a lot of "Kills" based on the Dutch word for creek. So
near me is the Postenkill Creek, the Wynanstkill Creek and several others.

And a few years back, PETA petitioned the town of Fishkill to change their
name since their name was so violent towards animals.

--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |

Old November 24th 03, 10:29 PM
Allen Thomson

When we moved to Harlingen, I was slightly staggered to see the 25 lb.
buckets of manteca(*) on sale in the local supermarket.

(*) I think it's actually some hydrogenated oil, like Crisco, though
I've never read the label.

I sit corrected. On visiting the store today, I see that both Crisco-
like manteca and the real thing, manteca de cerdo, are available
by the bucket. Crisco is evidently less dense: a bucket of it only
weighs 24 lb, vs 25 lb for the natural product.